Need assistace with BBB, RE: OnePass

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by babsonnexus, Jan 13, 2016.

1. babsonnexus

babsonnexus Active Member

Jan 13, 2016

Advertisements

All,

As a long-time background reader on here, I know many people have had severe issues with TIVO OnePass. In my case, I have had a 25% failure rate of trying to set up streaming shows and moves with OnePass. For months on end I have been attempting to force TIVO's hand to improving the product and live up to what they advertised, but to no avail. This has included setting up a case with the Better Business Bureau. Unfortunately, there has been little traction there as well. As such, I believe the only way to begin to make effective change is to have a larger pool of people explain their issues to the agency so this is not just one lonely voice.

Below are the details of what I have submitted to TIVO Support and the BBB (collapsed for your ease). If you have had any similar experiences or other issues with TIVO OnePass, I ask that you open a case with the BBB here:

Link to (https) www_dot_bbb_dot_org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started?source=cibr&bbbid=1216&bid=210334

When you do so, please reference BBB Case #450259.

Thanks, and I hope with enough customer voices we can make TIVO admit their errors and fix the product to the expectations that they are marketing.

Description of the Issue and the Complaint to the BBB
    Consumer's Original Complaint:
    TIVO OnePass does not work as advertised and has a failure rate of around 25%, making the product not live up to advertised purpose.
    On July 2, 2015, I purchased a TIVO Roamio Plus with Lifetime Service directly from TIVO's Website for $549.98 (Order # TS27191088). I already owned a TIVO Series 3 with Lifetime Service that worked perfectly fine and was not inclined to upgrade to a new unit except for the feature of TIVO OnePass. By TIVO own description (see Link to (https) www_dot_tivo_dot_com/onepass), TIVO OnePass combines all recorded content with the streaming content of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others into one menu. As a semi-cord cutter (Cable local stations, subscriptions to the aforementioned services), this was the key and only feature that was of use to me as switching between different inputs was inconvenient. What I wanted was the promise of having a single menu to select my shows from.

My order shipped on July 7, 2015 and arrived at my mailbox July 13, 2015. I then began the process of setting up the new unit and transferring shows and metadata from the old unit on July 17, 2015.

Over the next two weeks, I took a significant amount of time to attempt to convert everything in my "Watch Later" lists on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime to OnePass subscriptions on the TIVO unit. However, I ran in to many issues when attempting to do so that fall broadly into several categories:

* Shows/Movies that are available on a streaming service but do not show up as a result on TIVO Search
    * Shows/Movies that do show up on TIVO Search but do not have the option to add to OnePass (the option on the menu is missing)
    * Shows/Movies that do show up on TIVO Search but only show up as available on on streaming service when they are available on another
    * Shows/Movies that show up on TIVO Search as separate results depending upon the streaming service
    * Shows/Movies that can have a OnePass created, but have the wrong episode order
    * Shows/Movies that can have a OnePass created, but episodes are missing from the list
    * Shows/Movies that can have a OnePass created, but new episodes do not show up in a timely manner (greater than 2 days after being posted on a streaming service)

On the nearly 800 items I tested, I had a failure rate of around 23%. Since then, I have continued to find issues, bringing my failure rate closer to 25%.

After finding the initial issues, I opened a case with TIVO Support (Case #04772339) on August 1, 2015. TIVO replied on August 2, 2015 thanking for information and asked to be informed of any other questions or issues. I responded on August 3, 2015 asking for an action plan and timeline for resolution. Instead of responding, TIVO closed my case as resolved. I noticed this on August 6, 2015 and asked why my case had been resolved and asked it to be re-opened. Instead, TIVO opened up a new case (04787998).

In the new case, I gave updates on August 10, 2015; August 31, 205; and November 2, 2015--each time listing out new issues found. I also specifically asked for confirmation that technical teams were actually working on, to which I never got a satisfactory answer. There has been no timeline given for correction and it would appear that TIVO is not working on the issue at all.

TIVO OnePass, then, is a case of false advertising as it cannot do what TIVO describes when it has a 25% failure rate and no timeline for correction. TIVO has further exacerbated this situation by releasing the new product TIVO Bolt that highly sites OnePass as a critical feature for users. The company continues to make false claims of functionality and seems to have no plans to correct the issue.

In my November 2, 2015 correspondence with TIVO Support, I let them know that I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau due to these continual problems and false advertising.

Consumer's Desired Resolution:
    TIVO should immediately cease advertising false capabilities of OnePass and note the limitations of the product until such a time that the issues have been corrected. A press release should be submitted admitting the limitations and apologizing for not being forthright. The issues should be corrected to have a reliability rate of 99% or better and pushed to all users. This resolution should happen in a time-frame of no greater than 45 days.

TIVO's Response to the BBB
    TiVo does its best to sync up with all streaming databases in an effort to keep our search and one function current and accurate. We accept input on potential missing information from these streaming services databases and will investigate to add that missing information. We are investigating the list of shows the customer reported in order to determine bug validity. In most cases like this the information is corrected within a few days of the customer reporting it to TiVo.

The TiVo OnePass was designed to enhance currently scheduled programming from the major Networks by giving additional options to stream content that is in both the TiVo database and the streaming apps on the TiVo device. The search function on the TiVo does not sync up to all streaming data bases to pull rare or unusual movies and shows that are not currently on network TV. The TiVo does have a feature called wishlist that you can ask it to watch out for these kind of rare shows and if the air on Network TV the will be recorded. We appreciate any and all feedback and are happy to assist any customers that would like to call in to our Tech support line for support.

TIVO also opened up a new support ticket for me (Ticket #05136220), which despite being listed as "escalated" for two months has not made any traction, either. I have continued to update TIVO on the issues as I find new problems, and even when I find a particular item has been corrected. TIVO has not once let me know that an item has been corrected, though (I have always had to discover this myself).

Original List of Programs Given to TIVO
    *** Shows/Movies Available through Streaming Services that do not show up in search ***
    ~ Africa Untamed - Amazon Prime
    ~ America's 58 National Parks - Amazon Prime
    ~ America's Dumbest Criminals - Amazon Prime
    ~ The Presidents - Amazon Prime
    ~ Cosmic Journies - Amazon Prime
    ~ Empires - Amazon Prime
    ~ Life in a Tide Pool - Amazon Prime
    ~ Fabric of the Cosmos - Amazon Prime <-- Is part of Nova, but have to change the view to "All Episodes"
    ~ Powerful Life - Amazon Prime
    ~ Scenic National Parks - Amazon Prime
    ~ Secrets of London - Amazon Prime
    ~ The Veil - Amazon Prime
    ~ NASA Television Documentaries - Hulu
    ~ Secret Universe: Journey Inside the Cell - Hulu
    ~ Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conquerer of Shamballa - Hulu
    ~ The Young Rebels - Hulu
    ~ Wrigley Field 1914 - 2014 Historic Moments - Hulu
    ~ Word Wars - Hulu
    ~ Weiner Dog Nationals - Hulu, Netflix
    ~ The Wars of the Roses: A Bloody Crown - Hulu
    ~ Socrates: A Film by Roberto Rossellini - Hulu
    ~ Samurai II - Hulu
    ~ The Mystery of the Disappering Bees - Hulu
    ~ Muhammad Ali: the Greatest - Hulu
    ~ Master of the Rings: J.R.R. Tolkein - Hulu
    ~ Lupin the 3rd: Jigen's Gravestone - Hulu
    - Lupin the 3rd: Green vs. Red - Hulu
    ~ Lucy's Really Lost Moments - Hulu
    ~ Komi: A Journey Across the Arctic - Hulu
    ~ Ivan the Terrible - Hulu
    ~ Henson's Place: The Man Behind the Muppets - Hulu
    ~ Ghost in the Shell 2.0 - Hulu
    ~ The Fuzz - Hulu
    ~ The Complete Metropolis - Hulu
    ~ Bruce Lee: The Immortal Dragon - Hulu
    ~ Beavers - Hulu
    ~ Antarctic Mission - Hulu
    ~ Pure Nature Features - Hulu
    ~ Easter Revealed - Hulu
    ~ Dirty Pair - Hulu
    ~ Journey to the Center of the Planet - Hulu
    ~ Orbit: Earth's Extraordinary Journey - Hulu
    ~ Sense & Sensibity (2008) - Hulu
    ~ MI-5 Code9 - Hulu
    ~ Wild Life - Hulu
    ~ Wild India - Hulu
    ~ Voltron Lion Force - Hulu
    ~ Start-Up Junkies - Hulu
    ~ Painkiller Jain - Hulu
    ~ Organic Gardening - Hulu
    ~ Now Here | Then There - Hulu
    ~ New Zealand Jouries - Hulu
    ~ Newsradio - Hulu
    ~ Masada - Hulu
    ~ Macros Plus - Hulu
    ~ Life in the Canopy - Hulu
    ~ How Cities Work - Hulu
    ~ Doctor Zhivago (TV Series) - Hulu
    ~ Doing America - Hulu
    ~ The Colgate Comedy Hour with Abbot & Costello - Hulu
    ~ Cirque du Soleil: Voices - Hulu
    ~ 24/7 Wild - Hulu
    ~ How It Works - Hulu
    ~ Beautiful Places in HD - Hulu
    ~ The Abbott and Costello Show - Hulu
    ~ The State - Hulu
    ~ Wild (Nat Geo) - Hulu
    ~ Parasyte: The Maxim - Hulu
    ~ Ranma 1/2 - Hulu
    ~ Cosmic Journeys - Hulu
    ~ Bewitched (TV Series) - Hulu
    ~ AFV Kids: Animals with Attitude - Netflix
    ~ AFV Kids: Holidazed - Netflix
    ~ AFV: It's Tough Being a Kid - Netflix
    ~ AFV: Playtime Ain't for Wimps - Netflix
    ~ Alexandria - Netflix
    ~ American Experience: The Amish: Shunned - Netflix
    ~ Animal House - Netflix
    ~ Black Klansman - Netflix
    ~ Comic Store Heroes - Netflix
    ~ Earth: Power of the Planet - Netflix
    ~ Elephants: Spy in the Herd - Netflix
    ~ Empresses in the Palace - Netflix
    ~ Fidel - Netflix
    ~ Generation Earth - Netflix
    ~ Houdini - Netflix
    ~ Life in Our Universe - Netflix
    ~ Moving Art: Deserts - Netflix
    ~ Moving Art: Flowers - Netflix
    ~ Moving Art: Forests - Netflix
    ~ Moving Art: Oceans - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: Abraham Lincoln - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: Alexander the Great - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: Joan of Arc - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: King Arthur - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: Leonardo da Vinci - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: Marco Polo - Netflix
    ~ Mystery Files: Pope Joan - Netflix
    ~ Naked Gun, The - Netflix
    ~ Pope Pius XII - Netflix
    ~ Redemption: Kickboxer 5 - Netflix
    ~ Rocket Men - Netflix
    ~ School of Rock - Netflix
    ~ Secret Yellowstone - Netflix
    ~ Secrets: A Viking Map? - Netflix
    ~ Secrets: The Sphinx - Netflix
    ~ Tiger: Spy in the Jungle - Netflix
    ~ Top Gun - Netflix
    ~ Trip to the Moon (Color), A - Netflix
    ~ Untamed Americas - Netflix
    ~ The Goonies - Netflix

*** Shows/Movies Available though Streaming Services that show up on search but do not have an option to create OnePass or add to streaming videos ***
    ~ Apollo 17: Final Footprints on the Moon - Amazon Prime
    ~ The Cosmonaut Coverup - Amazon Prime <-- Now has a Hulu selection that shows up separately with a different spelling
    ~ Crafted - Amazon Prime
    ~ Doctored - Amazon Prime
    ~ Dracula: The True Story - Amazon Prime
    ~ Expo - Magic of the White City - Amazon Prime
    ~ The Impossible Spy - Amazon Prime
    ~ Killer Elephants - Amazon Prime
    ~ The Lottery of Birth - Amazon Prime <-- No longer shows up in search
    ~ Muhammad Ali - The Man, The Moves, The Mouth - Amazon Prime
    ~ The Real Middle Earth - Amazon Prime
    ~ Time as Money - Amazon Prime
    ~ Wild Iran - Amazon Prime
    ~ Secret of the Egyption Pyramids - Amazon Prime (Also avialble on Hulu, but does not show as a option)
    ~ Prostitution Behind the Veil - Amazon Prime (Also avialble on Hulu, but does not show as a option)
    ~ Mystic india (2005) - Amazon Prime (Also avialble on Hulu, but does not show as a option) <-- Hulu now shows up, but as a separate selection on a different year
    ~ Australia: Land Beyond Time - Amazon Prime (Also avialble on Hulu, but does not show as a option, but there is second itteration of the program)
    ~ The Curse of the Pharaohs - Amazon Prime (Also avialble on Hulu, but does not show as a option)

*** Shows/Movies Available though Streaming Services that show up available on one service but not another ***
    ~ Amnesia, appears on Hulu, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ Animals Like Us, appears on Hulu, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ Audrey Hepburn Remembered, appears on Hulu, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ Pride and Prejudice, appears on Hulu, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ Sling Blade, appears on Netflix, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ Amelie, appears on Netflix, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ Star Trek 4, appears on Netflix, but is available on Amazon Prime
    ~ The Toxic Avenger, appears on Hulu, but is available on Netflix
    ~ Egypt, appears on Amazon Prime/Hulu, but is available on Netflix
    ~ Greatest Places: IMAX, The - appears on Hulu, but is available on Netflix
    ~ Inspector Gadget - appears on Hulu, but is available on Netflix
    ~ Money for Nothing - appears on Hulu, but is available on Netflix
    ~ Trip to the Moon, A - appears on Amazon Prime, but is available on Netflix

*** Shows/Movies Available though Streaming Services that show up as separate show selections in Search ***
    ~ The Woman in Green, appears on Hulu as this title, but appears as "Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green" for Amazon Prime
    ~ Sling Blade, has a Netflix and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ Pulp Fiction, has a Netflix and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ Star Trek 1 and 2, has a Netflix and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ The Warriors, has a Netflix and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ Star Trek Voyager s01e01, has a Netflix/Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ Vikings: Journey to New Worlds, has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ The Toxic Avenger 2 and 3, has a Hulu and Netflix selection
    ~ The Stranger, has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ The Sign of Four, appears on Hulu as this title, but appears as "Sherlock Holmes and the Sign of Four" for Amazon Prime
    ~ Terror by Night, appears on Amazon Prime as this title, but appears as "Sherlock Holmes: Terror by Night" for Hulu
    ~ Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon, has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ Secret Agent, has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ The Red Baron (2008), has a Netflix/Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ Mysterious Mr. Wong, has a Netflix/Amazon Prime and Hulu selection
    ~ Kurt and Courtney, has a Hulu/Amazon Prime and Netflix selection (as Kurt & Courtney)
    ~ The Kid (1921), has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection
    ~ The Kentuck Fried Movie, has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection (without the "The")
    ~ Grand Canyon Serenade, has a Hulu and Amazon Prime selection (except the Amazon Prime one does not have the option to add to streaming video)
    ~ French Connection II, has a Netflix and Amazon Prime

*** Shows/Movies Available though Streaming Services that have the wrong Episode Order ***
    ~ Animaniacs
    ~ Batman - The Animated Series (also, this has now disappeared from My List after watching several episodes, inlcuding on the day of watching an episode)
    ~ Dogs with Jobs
    ~ Egypt
    ~ John Adams
    ~ Pinky & the Brain
    ~ Dragonball (Epsiodes have some strange date order instead of Season/Episodes order)
    ~ Earth from Above (also showing episodes multiple times)
    ~ Weird Science
    ~ Battle of the Planets
    ~ Hellsing Ultimate (also some epsiodes are missing titles)
    ~ Mystery Sceience Theater 3000 (also many episodes are missing)
    ~ Spider-Man
    ~ Voltron

*** Shows/Movies Available though Streaming Services that are missing episodes that are available online ***
    ~ Farscape - s01e04
    ~ Penn & Teller: ********! - Every single episode except s08e03
    ~ Game Over (2013) - Shows as not available, available on Hulu
    ~ Ocean Stories - Showing as a single movie/documentary, should be a show with episodes on Hulu
    ~ Disgaea - Every episode except 12/1 and 7/9
    ~ Dragon Ball Z - Every episode except s01e01 to s01e03
    ~ The Odd Couple (Original) - s01e01, s01e03, s01e07, s01e08, s02e02, s02e03, s02e06, s02e07, s02e09, s02e12, s02e13, so2e14, s02e17, s03e01... (this goes on...)
    ~ Clarissa Explains It All - s01e03, s02e07, s02e09
    ~ Life of Mammals, The - s01e09
    ~ The Planets - All episodes
    ~ Blue Planet: A Natural History of the Ocean, The - Everything except s01e01
    ~ Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 - Only showing 4 random episodes (order doesn't make sense either)
    ~ Life in Cold Blood - S01e02
    ~ The Outer Limits - s01e02
    ~ Princess Jellyfish - Only showing 2 random episodes (order doesn't make sense either)
    ~ Quantum Leap - s02e02
    ~ Secret Life of Elephants - Only showing 3 random episodes (order doesn't make sense either)
    ~ MI-5 - Season 1
    ~ No Heroics - All Episodes
    ~ Inside the Himan Body - s01e02
    ~ Marcoss II - Only showing 6 random episodes (order doesn't make sense either)
    ~ Wildlife Specials with David Attenborough - Only showing 1 episode
    ~ America's Book of Secrets - s01e01
    ~ Human Planet - Had two listings with different episodes, hard to tell
    ~ NCIS - Almost all of seasons 1 through 5
    ~ Planet Earth - Everything except s01e03, e10, e11
    ~ PowerPuff Girls, The - s01e01
    ~ We the Economy - s01e01
    ~ Wildest Islands - Had two listings with different episodes, hard to tell

*** Shows/Movies Available though Streaming Services that are not showing up with new episodes that have been posted ***
    ~ Sailor Moon Crystal - s01e26 became available on Hulu 2015-07-18 and did not show up on OnePass until 2015-07-29

Additional Shows Sent to TIVO Since the First List
    Since original message:
    ~ Beneath the Helmet - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Blue Crush - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Mushi-Shi - Only shows up on Hulu but is available on Netflix
    ~ Flash Gordon (2007) - Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Curb Your Enthusiasm - Amazon Prime, shows up with episodes, but all episodes say not available <-- Fixed
    ~ Soaked in Bleach - Amazon Prime, shows up in search but not available as a streaming option <-- Corrected
    ~ History Of Life Series: A Study In Evolution - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search
    ~ Man Made Marvels: Asia - Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Chuno - Hulu, does not show up in search
    ~ Angry Planet - Shows up only as Hulu, but has a season available on Amazon Prime. Also, episodes are in a nonsense order, not in the order of seasons.
    ~ Code, The - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ 72 Dangerous Animals: Australia - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Vincent - Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ The World is Still Beautiful - Hulu, does not show up in search
    ~ Underworld, Inc. - Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Mother Grain, The - Hulu, shows up in search, but cannot add to OnePass, also shows Amazon Prime instead of Hulu
    ~ I, Claudius - Hulu, episodes are in the wrong order
    ~ My Monkey Baby - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ Finding Jesus: Faith. Fact. Forgery - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Tiger and the Monk - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ Back in Time - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ China's Forbidden City - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ David Attenborough's Rise of the Animals - Shows up in search and OnePass can be added, but does not show as available in Netflix
    ~ Breakthrough, Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Athens: Democracy Without Rules - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search <-- Shows up, but cannot add OnePass
    ~ Naked Terracotta Warriors - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search <-- Shows up, but cannot add OnePass
    ~ South Park - Hulu, delayed and missing episodes for the current season
    ~ Æon Flux - Netflix, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Nintendo Quest - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search
    ~ Lost Animals of the 20th Century - Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected, but all episodes have the same date
    ~ Ultimate Journies - Shows up only as Amazon Prime, but has a season available on Hulu. Also, epsides are in a nonsense order and some are missing.
    ~ Africe from the Ground Up - Shows up only as Amazon Prime, but has a season available on Hulu. Also, almost all episodes are missing (only showing 2).
    ~ Pengi and Sommi - Shows up only as Amazon Prime, but is also available on Hulu. Does not have the option to add to OnePass.
    ~ Genghis: The Legend of the Ten - Hulu and Amazon Prime, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ Interstellar - Hulu and Amazon Prime, delayed showing up in search for several days
    ~ Deutschland 83 - Hulu, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ House of Lies - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search <-- Corrected
    ~ In the Footsteps of Marco Polo - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search
    ~ The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Amazon Prime and Hulu, shows up as separate shows <-- Corrected
    ~ Inside John Lennon - Amazon Prime, shows up in search but does not have option to add streaming video
    ~ Detective Conan - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ Friday Night Tykes - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ Gangsters: Faces of the Underworld - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ Marco Polo: One Hundred Eyes - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ Pumping Iron - Netflix, does not show up in search
    ~ The Dead Sea Scrolls: Mysteries, Controversies, Revelations - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search
    ~ Lost Cities of the Arab World: Palmyra - Amazon Prime, does not show up in search

While posting here is nice to commiserate, I truly believe we can only get TIVO to improve and live up to their obligations through other services and media putting pressure on them.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You're wasting your time. What percentage of prospective DVR buyers do you think check with the BBB? They have no leverage on TiVo.

3. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I switched to a Roamio from a Directv Tivo (THR-22) and to be honest I too have been very disappointed in the Onepass system.

The theory is good, but in practice, it simply does not work well enough to rely on, which is a shame because the future of TV is the internet and anybody that can produce a system that brings it all together is on to a winner.

p.s. It may not all be TiVo's fault, but they certainly don't appear to make an effort to make the simple stuff work. Like getting the data up to date.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Even if they do check, they'll currently find an A+ rating even with 119 complaints opened and closed in the last 3 years.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

I love the idea of OnePass but it has many issues for streaming.

It is slow to update. According to TiVo up to 48 hours. Or more.

It is hard to filter out what you really want to see for the streaming. The sort and filter options look good but don't work well in practice.

The folder system in the My Shows list is clunky and doesn't show when new streaming episodes are available.

Basically, I find OnePass to be next to useless.

6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    With all the time you spent on this, you'd be better off selling you TiVo and moving on.

7. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    This is not about having potential buyers check the BBB; this is about creating a paper trail. Right now, there is no evidence of an issue aside from what is written on this board. We need a third party impartial location to have documentation before any further action can be taken. Without outside pressure and documentation, TIVO has nothing to respond to.

Right now, this is the action plan I have recommended, the one I am following, and the one I am asking other for help with. That said, I am open to suggestions of other plans that you think would help. Please let us know your plan for how to get TIVO's attention and get them to work on the issue in a transparent manner.

8. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    Please provide a suggestion that has the following functionality and I will gladly follow your advise:

• Create a single "Watch Later" list for all major streaming servies (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu)
    • Be able to automatically launch the correct application for streaming content
    • Have the "Watch Later" streaming list remove items that are no longer available
    • Be able to see streaming, recorded, and live content without switching inputs (willing to compromise on this point if the first three bullet points are covered, such as an app for FireTV)

Thank you, and I thoroughly look forward to reading your detailed knowledge of such a product!

9. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    This is one I find particular interesting because sites like InstantWatcher have the content up-to-date all the time for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hulu I can see as being trickier, but it appears there is some API out there that allows reads. JustWatch seems to have something is picking that up, so it is at least possible.

Yes, I believe whatever TIVO is using for generating their list of available content is not correct and should be changed to something custom like what these sites are using. Or just buying their metadata! That is why I believe this is a fixable programming issue, not an insurmountable challenge, and one that does not require a complete rebuild (just a change of how metadata is source). Not saying the coding will be easy, but at least seems plausable.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You should have included this explanation in your original post. However I still think this is a waste of time compared to other methods that do get TiVo's attention in many cases:

1. Posting on TiVo's support forum -- this creates a "paper" trail and officially gets TiVo's attention.

2. Complaining to TiVo telephone support directly.

The above two methods will work better than BBB if you can get the same number of people participating.

3. Posting on this forum -- not an official TiVo portal but still works sometimes.

4. Contacting TivoMargret either by Twitter or email.

And frankly I think you have an uphill battle convincing people that the BBB approach is a better use of their time.

11. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    For the first time in a long time I got a more than "thanks for the info" message from TIVO, completely unsolicited:

So to summarize:

- TIVO admits there is an issue
    - TIVO has said people may be be working on it... at some point
    - TIVO will provide no updates on where the fix stands, if the fix is even being worked on, or when the fix might be in place
    - If a fix does ever come, there will be no follow-up and everything will just be assumed to be OK.

12. borabora

borabora New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Tivos don't work very well as streaming box. The concept of mixing recordings with streamed content makes NO sense to me whatsoever. I don't know why Tivo even bothers to include the streaming capability when most TVs offer it and Roku, Amazon and Apple offer cheap boxes with far better streaming capabilities.

I do understand the OP being disappointed but it seems hardly worth one's time to complain about it when a $80 Roku fixes the problem.

13. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I bought my first streaming gizmo 5 to 10 years ago. Bought a bunch since. Every one has Always been disappointing. Except for Netflix.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Back in October I emailed Support to give them 2 specific examples of shows available on OTT providers but not showing in 1P. They (of course) didn't pay attention to what I wrote and sent back a vague "connect to the TiVo service and they'll show up after that." I responded and asked them to re-read what I wrote.

In December (around 60 days later) I followed up with them alerting them that the shows still weren't available. And for some reason they closed the support issue!

It's now been another 60 days - the shows still don't show up.

15. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick and it works perfectly as you describe. However, what I wanted was:

• Not having to switch between inputs in order to use live/recorded TV vs. streaming content
    • Have a single list of all my content instead of maintaining separate lists on each streaming service (I'm a planner, not a surfer)
    • Make sure I was not double, triple, or quadruple listing particular shows/movies because they are on multiple services

For those reasons alone I upgraded to a TIVO Roamio (and others to a Bolt) because TIVO promised us that experience. And for 75% of the time, it works perfectly for those purposes! Unlike your description, I find the TIVO works very well for streaming content and prefer to use it compared to my SmartTV and Amazon Fire TV Stick. I understand it may not work all the time and there may be hiccups; but I just find a consistent 25% failure rate to be too high for what I paid compared to what was advertised.

I don't believe I should excuse TIVO for false advertising and instead want to hold them accountable. If the technology is not ready to do what they want, that is fine, but then they should not advertise it as such.