Need advice: should I get a cable card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rockmoore802, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1 of 10
    Rockmoore802

Rockmoore802 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    8 Miles...

Advertisements

I'm new to tivo and for now I have a basic setup using a cable box. I want the ability to record one channel while watching another.

I'm waiting to accept delivery of a new Plasma screen T.V. It has multiple antenna inputs and will work with a cable card.

I would like to keep my cable box and get a cable card. Is this the best way to do this or can someone offer me a better choice.

I'm also hooking up a DVD recorder.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Rocky :)

2. Jan 1, 2006 #2 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, a CableCard in your TV will allow you to watch Live TV while your Tivo records different channels with its own cable box.

What are you wanting to do with the DVD Recorder? Do you want to record programs from the Tivo? If so, you'll need to route Tivo outputs to your DVD Recorder. If your TV has enough inputs, you can connect the DVD Recorder to its own inputs on the TV.

3. Jan 1, 2006 #3 of 10
    Andru1313

Andru1313 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Philadelphia...
    Does your cable company offer any features with there service. I live in Philly and have comcast, they offer On Demand and Pay per view. With the cable card I would loose those features....

4. Jan 1, 2006 #4 of 10
    Rockmoore802

Rockmoore802 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    8 Miles...
    First off thanks for the replies.

To answer the last question first; I have expanded basic on a digital box and don't subscribe to on demand. I hardly purchase pay per view. If I do I can just get it through the actual cable box instead of the card. So yes! you do loose those features.

Something popped into my mind while responding. Can you specify what antenna input is used on the TV for the cable card? I guess I can look it up in the manual for the tv. ( I already downloaded it)

As for the DVD Recorder, Yes I would like it to hang off the Tivo box. Is it as easy as it seems; or is there a trick to it?

:up: Thank you for your replies!

Rocky

5. Jan 1, 2006 #5 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

I think your TV's CableCard will use whatever input you normally connect the RF Cable TV coax to. The CableCard device is simply an industry-standard digital decoder to enable your TV to receive the digital cable channels on its cable TV input.

6. Jan 1, 2006 #6 of 10
    Steve_Martin

Steve_Martin Grandminion

Jul 18, 2004
    Orange...
    You stated your future television has multiple antenna inputs, but I bet it only really has one RF connection. The connection you describe is exactly how I have my plasma and Tivo connected.

The CableCard will require a cable installer to set up - it's not difficult, he just needs to phone in a few numbers to their plant.

The other service you lose is the cable company provided on-screen guide, though it will still be available through the digital box.

Which plasma did you select?

7. Jan 1, 2006 #7 of 10
    Rockmoore802

Rockmoore802 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    8 Miles...
    My girlfriend bought me a Panasonic DVD recorder model# DMR-ES20, Tivo Series 2 80 hour dvr, and a Samsung 42" Plasma TV model #SPR4232.

This set-up is for my bedroom. I already have a decent set-up with surround sound for the living room. I'm going to add Tivo to the living room also. After I get my feet wet with it first.

As for the TV.. the price was right according to her. She got it as a surprise for me.
    I downloaded the manuals and it seems pretty standard.

I did see a post that early production runs of the TV were recalled.

It was easier not telling her. Trust Me.

I'll get it on Tuesday.

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 10
    Rockmoore802

Rockmoore802 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    8 Miles...
    I ordered my cable card today. I have cablevision. The old fee was $1.25 monthly with no additonal charges. However as of 1/1/06 the monthly charge went up to $1.75. No biggie.

They send someone out to install it....costs me $46.50. And I'll have to wait until 1/21/06 because I need it done on the weekend.

All-in-all not too bad!

I'll let you know how I make out.

btw- the card is capable of HD signals. so that's a plus.

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 10
    jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX

10. Rockmoore802

Rockmoore802 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    8 Miles...
    Hey Jmace57

What can I say I'm a lucky son of a gun!
    before you ask---------I don't share or loan her out.

It was a huge surprise to me. I knew about the dvd recorder but nothing else.