Need advice purchasing HDTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by No Static At Al, Oct 29, 2007.

1. No Static At Al

No Static At Al New Member

May 22, 2002
    Durand, MI

Advertisements

My THD is ordered (!!) and now I'm shopping for an HDTV. Planning to spend money up front, and have this investment last for many many years, so I've been dismissing anything less that 1080p. Usually buying the biggest and baddest at the time means fewer years suffering with obsolescence in the future.

Since the TiVo HD unit's highest output resolution is 1080i, could it potentially be a waste of money to invest in an HDTV that is 1080p? Should I consider units that are 720p or 1080i?

97% of our current viewing is done via TiVo's Now Playing.

We never watch straight signal TV, bypassing the TiVo.

We only occasionally watch DVDs, but do not plan to buy a high-end DVD player for several years.

2. ncbagwell

ncbagwell New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I don't think they make units that are only 1080i. It's either 720p or 1080p so you might as well go for 1080p. If you happen to play video games, things like the XBOX360 output at 1080p.

I am personally a fan of the Samsung DLPs if you don't need to hang the TV on the wall.

3. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Whatever's cheap. Seems that these TVs won't last as long as a CRT no matter what you pay.

4. borabora

borabora New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    There are plenty of places on the internet that allow you to sink many hours into researching the benefits off different technologies along with their drawbacks. For example avsforums.com.

In a nutshell: Whether you benefit from a 1080p panel is primarily due to 1) TV size combined with viewing distance and 2) signal quality. (If you are too far away from the TV and/or the screen is too small then the extra pixels of a 1080p panel will make no discernible difference. If you feed your TV an SD quality signal or even a mediocre HD signal then again the extra pixels probably won't make a difference.) In theory, you can benefit from a 1080p TV while using your Tivo. In reality, it may make no or very little difference.

Your first decision should be whether you want a plasma or an LCD display. Or, if even consider a rear-projection technology which can be superior to LCD or plasma at a lower cost.

The topic is dear to my heart because I brought home a new Philips 42" LCD two days ago. It's a fairly economical 1080p panel and so far I love it.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

I would hold out until thanksgiving. There are bound to be some steals on Black Friday.

6. Tim N.

Tim N. New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Go for the 1080P just because you might buy an HD-DVD or BR player.

7. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Take a look at AVSforum.com for advice. As previously stated, a 1080p TV is great for BluRay. However, there is no content on TV broadcast in 1080p. The 1080i set I have is a Hitachi and I love it. The extra money you pay for 1080p is a waste unless you also buy a HD DVD player. TV content in 1080p is a few years away.

8. ourtivo

ourtivo New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    There are many variables and personal preferences to consider. I too started to do research and are leaning towards a 46" LCD XBR4 or W3000 by Sony. Crutchfield website helps with comparisons and general information about HDTV display technology (i.e. plasma, LCD, DLP, projection).

A recent issue of Consumer Reports rates HDTV's, but found information on the internet much more informative. The AVSForums has lots of posts on HDTV's and would recommend a visit once you narrowed your choices a bit.

Joe

9. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I currently have a Pioneer PDP-4360HD (which is 720p native) and love this panel. Besides the Tivo S3, I also have a Playstation 3 (for blu-ray and media server), a HK AVR-635 receiver, Velodyne subwoofer and KEF surround speakers. I am very happy with my set-up. However, if I had to start over this is what I would do:

- Get a professional/industrial 1080p panel. Panasonic has a very very good reputation in these. See link: http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/plasmas.asp for panels (also get a HDMI input blade for these panels).
    - Get a receiver with HDMI input (e.g Onkyo 605 or 805)

These connected to your TivoHD/S3 and surround speakers w/ subwoofer will give you the best of all worlds in my opinion.

10. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    If you have windows or lights that will remain on, plasma will reflect all of that light from its generally glossy screen.

11. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    If you have a lot to spend, definitely put a good chunk into the audio, it makes a world of difference. I would get 1080p to "future proof" my set, and depending on how much room you have and what size set you want, you could go either flat panel or DLP. I went plasma because it was a little cheaper for an awesome 42" Panasonic, and would recommend all the Panasonics if they fit your budget. If they appear to be a "bargain" to you, I would get a Pioneer Elite LCD or Plasma. If space isn't a concern or you don't want to spend a ton, a DLP looks incredible too.

You should determine:When you watch TV and how much light is present when you do (brighter light while watching makes plasma glare prone)
    Size of the set you want
    Budget
    potential other uses for you
    future purchases relating to home theater and tv watching

that will really shrink your list down, also just looking at some screens will help a lot.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  13. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm sold on DLP's.

14. gear

gear New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I love my Sony 46" XBR. Try AVS forums for some info and suggestions.

15. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The XBR-5's look crazy sexy in the Sony store.

16. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Can't give much advice on the HD set except I like Panasonic or Sony.

I will say go anywhere to buy but BestBuy, I've got some weird lines in my set that started about a month ago, of course I was smart enough three years back to get the extended warranty.

So I called bestbuy and scheduled a repair and they sent a service tech (third party) out on Oct 11. Part is on backorder and can't get bestbuy to do jack crap :eek:

17. gschoen

gschoen Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Also having a problem with Best Buy warranty support. I would not buy from them again. If I did and wanted an extended warranty, I would buy from a third party. Best Buy goes out of their way to not pay claims.

18. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Since you indicate that you are not opposed to spending a lot of money on a large, high-end set, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD. In my opinion, Pioneer still makes the best flat panels, and this is their top of the line 60" Elite model. My mouth starts to salivate just thinking about this set. :)

19. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Crazy. :eek:

The smart money is on a 52 inch LCD.

Sony 52"

You aren't going to use half the features on the Pioneer plasma.

20. supie

supie Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I just went through this and bought the Pioneer Kuro 60" PDP-6010. From my research, I first defined what was important to me. I believe you should do the same and tell us the following:

1. Size
    2. Room Lighting
    3. Budget
    4. What connections do you need and how many HDMI Connections?
    5. Do you want PIP?
    6. Contrast Ratio

I agree with others the AVS forum is really a great research tool. Once you decide which set, do you want to save money by buying online? If so ask for recommendations.

I would look at Pioneer, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic.