Need Advice. Picture problems.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bunjicat, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1 of 12
    bunjicat

bunjicat New Member

Jan 14, 2012

Advertisements

This is not a new issue for me. This has been going on since I purchased the Roamio Plus about a year ago. A am a long time Tivo user. Love the product and services provided. I have a Fios connection. My RS uncorrected/corrected is a moving target. RS uncorrected=blocking. I can hit the sweet spot through trial and error and get the RS corrected to increment marginally. But it is a moving target and will get worse based and many variables including outside air temperature, moving the Tivo even the slightest bit, a reboot, and software updates (the latest). I can never get RS corrected zero. My signal is either to hot or to cold (according to Tivo tech support). Lately the fluctuations have been epic and this last software update (which I love) has made it impossible to get a clean signal (RS uncorrected 0). I have tried everything to fix the problem. The latest was bringing out the Fios tech. He verified the signal is clean at the Tivo outlet. He also replaced my ONT at my request. My latest connection is a direct connect of the coax from the Tivo to the FIOS ONT. No splitter at all (trouble shooting anything else being on the line causing the problems). I have 15 db worth of annuators at the Tivo outlet. A 3 db and a 12 db. This seems to get the signal where I need it. But I know it wont last. Tivo tech support wont deal with me unless the RS corrected and uncorrected are zero. I recently elevated the issue to a manager and he agreed to replace the Tivo if I wanted. The question is will it solve the problem? Any advice on this issue would be a appreciated.

2. bunjicat

bunjicat New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    just wanted to update this post. After a year and a half of Tivo telling me its my problem, I forced an RMA on them. Guess what. Works perfectly. 0 RS corrected and uncorrected. No filters required. 41db signal at 100%. The Roamio was defective since the day I bought it.

3. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I would still attenuate the signal down to the high 90s for "signal strength." TiVo says that too hot a signal can damage the tuners over time (I have my doubts about that, but feel it is better to be safe than sorry). We have ours down to between 95% and 100% with SNR in the high 30s (needed 12db of attenuation ahead of an 8-way splitter. We get a few corrected errors, but uncorrected stays at zero.

4. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I'd get the signal so that it at LEAST hits 99% on a single channel, just to appease Tivo support. Then at least you know it's not TOO hot. Remember, Tivo even states that over 100% is ok as long as it's not too far over 100% (hey Tivo, how about you let the meter SHOW beyond 100%).

From this page:http://tivoproduction.force.com/Sup...oamio-Series-Premiere-Series-and-Series3-DVRs

Personally I can't stand the go-to answer from tech support is your signal is too hot. Tivo won't admit it, but it's their own box amping the signal making it too hot in most cases!!!

Me personally, I put a -3dB attenuator on my line and I still mostly get 100% and 41SNR on most channels....but some do hit 99%, so I'm pleased.

-Kevin

5. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest

Advertisements

@ kbmb and Diana:

Interesting comments. :) Can one of you briefly explain what a "too hot" signal does to the tuner, or what other disadvantage there may be? I'm wondering if this is anything I should be concerned about, as all my tuners consistently get 100% signals and ~42-43dB SNR. RS corrected and uncorrected are usually both 0, except on ESPN's channels.

6. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    According to that page above it "shouldn't" do anything as the components are supposed to "cycle in and out of "protect" mode to prevent damage". But Tivo support is stuck on blaming everything on a hot signal.

If the signal is too hot, other people have had issues pairing cable cards.

I ran a Tivo HD with 100% and 43SNR for 8 years with no issues.

And like you, with nothing my Plus ran the same numbers......just because I like to tinker, I bought some attenuators and brought the level down just under 100%. Figure that's safe enough.

-Kevin

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  7. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    Thanks for that. I'll have to read up on it some more, I guess. I get that TiVo likes their "go-to" excuses, and I certainly get that non-optimal signals can cause picture and tuning issues. But I'm still a little confused how a too-hot signal would actually "damage" a tuner.

Your 8 years with that TiVo HD, and mine with my various TiVos over the years, suggests that any actual risk must be relatively small.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's interesting. With my little base Roamio, the only hot spot (and I mean physically hot) is the RF connection. Seriously. My signal is always 90, SNR is 36dB. No errors.

9. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    Physically hot?? Hmm, I haven't seen that on mine. Do you suppose that's what they mean....components literally overheating?:confused:

10. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    The Roamio Basic doesn't amp the signal nearly like the Plus/Pro do.

I have both. My Plus on an outlet will read 99-100% and 41 SNR. I put the Basic on the same outlet and it will read 93-95% and 36 SNR.

And the RF connection on my Basic is a "little" warm to the touch.....but definitely not hot. Although I have read the threads where others have also said their's run hot.
    -Kevin

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Technically, I don't know the answer. I'm guessing if the signal is way too hot.....like if the meter went beyond 100% and it read 150%, then I'm guessing something about that and the electronics in the tuners would case them to burn out, get too physically hot?!?

The thing that bothers me so much is that it's the Tivo doing it to itself. I even had a Comcast tech out to read the signal on the line and he said it was perfect.

Comcast DVR on the same outlet reads perfect levels.
    Roamio Basic on the same outlet reads 93-95%.

Seems to me it's almost a design flaw with the 6 tuner models.

BTW, you don't need to have attenuators....you can just put a splitter on the line and cap the un-used port. That will also drop the level.

I also find it interesting that Tivo would ever deny service because of this issue.....because MOST people don't have any symptoms, like you. Just high levels. And if the Tivo itself doesn't display a message or cut out the tuner, how would a normal person ever know they were too hot.

OK, I'm done ranting.....:p

-Kevin

12. bunjicat

bunjicat New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I think its all BS. I ran a Premiere for 4 years on the same signal with no issue. IMO I think there were issues with early adopter Roamio plus/pro. Bad batch possibly. I actually had a basic first that ran fine but returned it for the plus that was defective. Many of the issues with this hot/cold problem were during the introduction of the product. I pulled my hair out with this issue. I could breath on the Tivo and the signal would fluctuate. I posted this because I know there were others with similar issues and I hope they could avoid the misery I had. I will continue to run the signal "hot". There is just no technical reason why you need attenuators on the Tivo box. I had Verizon come out and replace the ONT and check the signal at the source for the TIvo. They told me my signal was perfect. I mentioned the "hot" issue. They laughed. :shrugs: