Need advice on Series3 problem with USB hub

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by atomarchio, Jul 25, 2011.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I have a Series 3.

I am trying to use 3 USB devices (Tuning Adapter, USB Wireless Network Card, and a the Tivo Slide Bluetooth Remote)

I realized everything worked when plugging directly into Tivo and not using a USB hub.

Since I can't find the AC adapter for the USB hub now, not sure if I should buy another USB hub and use the AC adapter.

Or should I buy a USB to Ethernet converter. While the hub was working, the performance was hit or miss and I'm looking for a more reliable solution.

Please let me know how you think I should proceed.

Another USB hub or a USB/Ethernet converter?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The only USB/Ethernet adapters of which I am aware are for hooking wired Ethernet to a USB port, not to convert the Ethernet port to USB.

3. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    If it were me I would find a way to use Ethernet instead of the wireless networking option. Frees up a USB port and gives you a more reliable network.
    If that just isn't possible I would drop the Bluetooth remote and dedicate the two USB ports for TA and wNIC. IMO I need those two devices to work 100% of the time. If that means losing the slide remote then I lose it.

4. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I can't lose the Bluetooth remote based on setup because I don't have line of sight to the Tivo.

My builder is telling me that running a physical ethernet line to this area in my master bedroom involves cutting drywal and I'm definitely not doing that.

I am going to try another USB hub (with AC power this time). a

If that does not work, I will then purchase the USB to Ethernet which should allow me to connect my wireless G adatper to the ethernet port on my Series 3.

Just wanted to find out which one would work better/more consistent.

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You could do what I did - run it along baseboards and door frames.

I am pretty sure that what you would need for that is a wireless bridge. A USB to Ethernet adapter is for connecting wired Ethernet to a USB port. My TiVo 2s are connected that way since they have no Ethernet port.

6. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am pretty sure that what you would need for that is a wireless bridge. A USB to Ethernet adapter is for connecting wired Ethernet to a USB port. My TiVo 2s are connected that way since they have no Ethernet port.[/QUOTE]

Do you know why a regular USB to Ethernet adapter would not work? Is'nt a bridge for connecting 2 separate networks?

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A USB to Ethernet adapter does not convert an Ethernet port to a USB port. It connects a computer (such as a TiVo) to Ethernet via USB. It is just like your wireless adapter except it is for wired Ethernet. It has a flat USB plug on one end and an RJ-45 jack on the other end.

8. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
  9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No. Even if you could connect them together, which you can't. The USB ends are both the same gender.

10. rassi

rassi Member

Jul 18, 2003
    NE Ohio
    This is for going the "opposite" direction you want to go - it will convert Ethernet to USB. You want to convert USB to Ethernet.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Actually, it doesn't "convert" anything. It is a USB connected Network Interface Card. IOW, as I said before, it is just like your wireless network adapter except for a wired network.

12. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    You're right I had the USB/Ethernet backwards.

Looks like I'm back to the USB Hub idea for getting slide remote, TA, and wireless network card to all work together.

I checked Tivo's site and they show a 1.1 USB hub from Belkin working. Does it have to be this specific Belkin unit only? Could/would others work?

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Other hubs might work but there is no way of knowing in advance unless someone else has successfully used one. Maybe you should start a thread for "useable USB hubs".

The problem is that most people don't need more than 2 USB ports. The only USB device I have ever connected to any of my TiVos is for wired Ethernet on my TiVo 2s.

14. rassi

rassi Member

Jul 18, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I was in this situation just a few weeks ago. We had a powered USB hub from D-Link, so I tried to use that. It wouldn't work. The wireless never liked being on the USB Hub, and the Tuning adapter wasn't recognized when connected to it....

So I got the one that TiVo said would work and it arrived Tuesday. So far, so good. The Wireless still has to be directly connected to the TiVo, but the Tuning Adapter and the bluetooth for the slide remote are both happy being in the hub.

15. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am ordering the same Belkin Hub and will be trying this also based on your experience.

Thanks.