Need Advice on Possible HR10-250 Swap

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by markedcw, Feb 10, 2009.

1. markedcw

markedcw New Member

May 22, 2004

Advertisements

We're a longtime Tivo household. Have had a Series 1 since 2000. Have had DirecTV and an HR10-250 in the living room since 2004. We own the HR10-250, bought it at full price the week it was released. We live in a condo and the MDU contractor has been dragging his feet with the dish upgrade. The complex was wired during construction by the local cable company so there's only one coax line from the utility room into each unit. As a result, our MDU guy could only give us a single input for the Tivo; we can't have DirecTV on the other TVs in the house either. We have a Tivo HD for OTA and internet streams/downloads in the bedroom.

Our MDU contractor now claims he will swap the common dish next week. So I called DirecTV and they are sending one of the new DVRs as a free "upgrade." The only requirement was agreeing to a new two-year commitment. However, I'm having second thoughts.

I was already iffy about the swap because of the horrid experiences I've seen people reporting with the DirecTV HR2x units. Talking it through with my spouse last night, I explained that we'd need to switch out the Tivo in the living room. He became apprehensive. He uses Tivo extensively. We currently have 51 Season Passes/Wishlists on the HR10 and rarely watch live TV. He doesn't want to recreate the setup or lose the programs stored on the Tivo. He asked if we couldn't just keep things as is. I explained that we're going to lose more HD channels soon. We had the LA HD feeds and he was irritated when those went away. Then he surprised me by saying he didn't want to change. He wants to keep the Tivo as SD only. After thinking about it, he makes sense. The only HD DirecTV channels we record are HBO and Showtime. We'd still have them in SD so it's not like losing the LA feeds when the channels went away completely. We also have a PS3 and Apple TV hooked up to the living room HDTV so we can get HD content when we need it. Now I'm wondering what to do.

Option 1-Replace the HR10-250 with the DirecTV DVR and hope for the best.

Option 2-Return the unopened DirecTV DVR when it arrives and reject the two-year commitment. We could keep using the HR10-250 for the foreseeable future for SD DirecTV and HD OTA then swap when/if a new DirecTivo HD is released.

Option 3-Return the DirecTV DVR and drop DirecTV completely. Order Comcast and move the Tivo HD to the living room. We'd only have a standard cable box with on demand in the bedroom but that's probably okay. By the time we add the surcharge from our MDU, the monthly bill for each service is within a few dollars of the other.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from former HR10-250 owners that switched to the HR2x. Would you do it again or do you regret making swap? I hope this doesn't turn into thread when the evangelicals from each side debate arcane tech trivia. Thanks.

2. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    depends on what MDU method the contracter is using, if they are going to forklift the install and go with SWM then the HR10-250 will not even work on that installation since it is not compatible.

You need to verify with the contracter what they are installing. What every you do, get more details from the contractor before you make the decision. Standard proceedure here for the MDI contracter that we use for upgraded to HD is forklift the dish out and replace with SWM equipment so that a single coax will run both tuners for the DVR's.

3. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Does DirecTV even broadcast any of the channels in HD that the HR10-250 can receive anymore?

4. kcmurphy88

kcmurphy88 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I loved my HR10-250, but the HR2x boxes are really pretty good now. Certainly they do more than the HR10-250 (not strictly TiVos fault). I've stopped using my TiVo as a backup recorder -- the HR20 and HR21 are stone-ax reliable for me. Don't assume the rants are typical -- happy customers don't post as much.

5. kcmurphy88

kcmurphy88 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Not really, unless you count SD. It's now an OTA box for the most part.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There are still three or four HD channels the HR10 can get. Those should go dark very soon, though.

7. markedcw

markedcw New Member

May 22, 2004
    I know the MPEG2 HD channels are shutting down soon. That's the whole point of my question. Option 2 above would be to keep the HR10 for DirecTV's SD content only and OTA HD.

I didn't realize that changes in the dish setup might prevent the HR10 from working even with SD channels. I'm starting to really resent DirecTV. Maybe Comcast isn't so evil.

8. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    That wouldn't be DirecTV's fault. The new dishes and switches work just fine with older equipment like the HR10 but if your MDU sets it up in a certain way then older equipment would indeed no longer work. I *highly* doubt they would do that since I'm sure there are many, many older receivers throughout the complex.

You're fogetting another option: Use both. So long as you can get 4 lines into your apartment then use both HR10 and new DVR on your TV, no problem with that at all.

I've had Tivo since fall 2000 with my first series 1 stand alone unit and owned at least half a dozen DirecTivo units thru the years. Right now I no longer have any DirecTivo's on my account (deactivated the last one a month ago). Frankly I don't care what the UI is, Tivo or otherwise. The DirecTV DVRs record my shows and I can play them back with no troubles. I don't need much more then that. The biggest complaint about the HR2x is that it doesn't have DLB. From your post in that you seem to indicate you rarely watch any live TV then this wouldn't be a problem for you. Go to DBSTalk for any specific questions and information on the DirecTV receivers.

9. markedcw

markedcw New Member

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestion but as I said above, we only have a single coax coming into the unit. Running additional coax is not physically possible.

10. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    About a year ago I switched from HR10's to HR20's. It wasn't easy. It's kind of liek going from Mac to PC or vice versa. Both can record your shows and play them back. The HR20 just takes some getting use to if you have spent considerable time using the HR10. It's not as intuitive. But it is just as reliable. If you do take the leap, wait a full month before deciding how you feel about the HR20.

The 2 year committment is prorated. So it's not like you have to live with it for 24 months if you absolutely hate it.

11. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    While I can understand the feeling, technology advances and when it advances it tends to drop unsupported and outdated hardware by the wayside, legacy support is not top of technologies to-do list.

SWM is a new technology, it has the advantage of being able to fully support a 2 tuner dvr on a single coax, given the explination that you can only have a single coax, it is pretty good inidication that the MDU contracter will forklift to SWM distribution technology.

It appears that you can contact the MDU contracter directly from the way you post - call them and find out exactly how they are going to upgrade the complex's infrastructure.

The other thing you might want to check into is if your complex will even allow you to install cable. I know that some of them here will not becuase they supply a MDU for Directv.

12. markedcw

markedcw New Member

May 22, 2004
    While I can call our MDU contractor, I don't trust the information they provide. The story changes depending on who over there picks up the phone. This is the fifth or sixth time I've been told they're about to come upgrade our building. I've been asking about this upgrade for a long time--before the LA HD feeds were moved off MPEG2 even. At that time, the owner of the company asked me why I cared. He didn't believe we were receiving the LA channels.

Additional coax runs are not an option. I had a contractor out when we got the HR10 in an attempt to enable the second tuner. I was told that there are too many twists and turns between our unit and the utility room. The contractor quoted a four figure price and refused to guarantee it would even work.

13. markedcw

markedcw New Member

May 22, 2004
    Thanks to all for the advice offered. In the end, we couldn't give up Tivo so went with the third option. I placed the order for cable on Friday, Comcast did a trouble-free install on Sunday and today a DVR expander disk arrived for the Tivo HD. Comcast kicked in a 25% discount for 1 year on a package that includes HBO, Showtime and Starz. So we''re in a much better place than a week ago with more channels, more HD choices and more recording capacity--all at a lower monthly price.

Who knows, if the next gen DirecTivo HD proves real instead of vaporware we might switch back when the Comcast discount gives out. Thanks again.

14. humbland

humbland New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    We are early TIVO adoptors. We still have a Phillips series 1 Tivo in the rack with a lifetime subscription, even though we can't recieve OTA signals for it any more because of the digital transition...(it still has a number of old movies we watch from time to time).

My dilema is a similar one. We have a HR10-250 with a lifetime subscription. It now mostly handles the OTA signals since there are now only a few HD channels available. What to do? I've read the posts here and it seems that the most popular thing is to have DTV upgrade to their HR21 and give up on Tivo, but what about the lifetime subscription we paid for? And what will happen in late 2009 when the new HD DTV TIVOs come online? What incentive will DTV have to upgrade us to these, and what happens to the lifetime subscriptions on the two Tivo units I already have?
    Does anyone have a clear cut answer? Can someone point to a post which clearly defines the options?
    Thanks

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Your lifetime subscription is still valid - it is attached to your DirecTV account, not a specific box. It has been this way since November 2004.

16. humbland

humbland New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Does that mean that if we go with one of the HR21 DTV units, that there will be no monthly charge for the DVR? We purchased the HR10-250 for about $1000, then upgraded the hard drives. That is about $1300 invested in this, now obsolete, technology. Will they offer a "free" HR21 (and new dish) to replace it or will we be forced to lease the unit and make some sort of 2 year committment?
    Then what happens when the new Tivo units come on board? Will they then replace the HR21s with the new Tivo box? If we elect to limp along for 6 more months, will they trade straight up for the new box?
    Thanks

17. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There will be no monthly DVR charge as long as you keep your DirecTV account open, no matter what combination of DVRs you have active.

What kind of offer you'll get, I don't know. The "list price" is $199, less if you pick one up at Costco. This includes an install of the new dish. It will be a lease with a two-year commitment.

When the new TiVos come out - I expect they'll be offered as additional receivers that you can pay for. There won't be any swap. The HR21 is not a "limp" - it's a very nice box with features missing from DTiVos (or even standalone TiVos.) If you think you'll be getting a new HD TiVo, then you'll probably want to restrict yourself to just one HR2x for now.

18. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Rabun Gap, GA
    I paid $500 for my HR10 and when D* made them obsolete, they offered me a free HR22 with a free service call. I was allowed to keep my HR10 and use it as a SD DVR in our guest room.
    Their may be an issue about owned versus leased. If you bought your HR10 prior to Mar 2006, the new box should be owned also. Make sure you get it straight with the CSR before you accept the upgrade.

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't agree that just because you bought the HR10 that the new box will also be owned. Some people say they get a statement from the CSR that the box will be owned but this is later "lost". In any case, I see no benefit to "owning" one of these boxes.

20. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I agree, I paid $850 for an HR10 many years ago and when they gave me a free upgrade it was to a leased unit. I really don't see any benefit in owning vs. leasing anyway. Plus I still have my HR10 that I use for SD in the office.