Need advice about external drive for HDTivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Joan, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1 of 20
    Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    I am considering ordering the Tivo HD external storage with backup from Weaknees. I need the storage space and I want to make sure that I don't lose everything if something goes wrong. Almost all my programs coming in on my cable have recently become copy protected, so I cannot move them to my pc or other tivos. Will I be able to store them on the external hard drive? And, if the HD Tivo does tear up and needs to be replaced, will that external hard drive be able to transfer the shows to the new tivo?

2. Sep 5, 2011 #2 of 20
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    External drives become married with the internal in a RAID array. So, the answer to your first question is yes although it's transparent to you and not selectable, and the answer to your last question is no.

3. Sep 6, 2011 #3 of 20
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If your TiVo is out of warranty. Go for the internal drive upgrade.

I had an external drive connected to my S3 for over 3 years with no problems.

But consider this:
    With external drive there is another wall wart to run it, and 2 more connections to potentially have a problem with, IE the connection gets knocked loose during cleaning, etc...

With internal drive, no change except for more space.

And, with internal drive if it starts to act up. A single drive can be easily cloned to a new drive and you lose nothing.

One more thing Joan; please put your location (city/state) in your sig line. It can help with answers.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #4 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, and it doesn't matter in the first place. The TiVo makes the decision of where to store any particular stream, and it may not reside entirely on either drive. The stream may be split up between both drives.

No. If the primary drive fails, all the programs on both drives will be lost.

5. Sep 6, 2011 #5 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    This is false. It's not a RAID array. Indeed, it's not an array of any sort. The MFS file system can (and does) span multiple targets, somewhat like LVM, but it is not LVM and definitely not RAID.

6. Sep 6, 2011 #6 of 20
    Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks, everyone, for the information. It looks like an internal drive may be the best since there fewer things to mess up. And thanks, Teeps, for the details. I've looked at the drives at Weaknees and I was wondering if someone who isn't tech-oriented could really change out an internal drive. Is it really really simple?

7. Sep 6, 2011 #7 of 20
    uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    It's very easy in my opinion, but I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are. Have you ever removed and replaced a hard drive in your computer?

8. Sep 6, 2011 #8 of 20
    Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    No. The most technical thing I've done is to add memory to my pc. And I was so proud of that!

9. Sep 6, 2011 #9 of 20
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If you're ok with installing memory. Then a straight hdd swap should be no big deal, unless you wish to retain current settings and recordings.
    If you do want to retain the existing data, that can be done but does complicate operation.

I bought a 2TB drive from dvr_dude.
    He offers a data transfer service for an extra $50 over the cost of the upgrade drive. The down side to that is turn around time. As you will have to send your original TiVo drive to him, so the data can be transfered.

10. Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not interested in keeping the current data that I have, so that simplifies everything.

11. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    If you do replace the hard drive, make sure you buy a T10 torx screwdriver ahead of time. Otherwise you will not be able to open the Tivo case. It is a very simple operation.

Unless the screwdriver comes with any upgrade kit you buy.

12. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Installing a "pre built" drive is on a par with adding memory as far as technical complexity goes. you should be able to do it.

I needed a T10 and a T15, one to open the case and the other to remove the drive from its bracket.

13. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    I just opened my Tivo HD the other day and a T-10 worked for both the case and the bracket.

IIRC, I do believe earlier models required both screwdrivers. Of course, maybe it varies day-by-day depending on whether or not they ran out of T-15's at the factory. ;)

Edit: I don't recall, but maybe you do need a T-15 to remove the drive from the bracket. The screws holding the bracket to the case are T-10's.

14. Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I even received a private message but I apparently don't have enough posts to even reply. I really appreciate the help. I have found all of tivocommunity to be a great source of information for several years.

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, if you reply to this post maybe you'll have enough to do PMs.:D

16. Joan

Joan New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Hey, that is true. I hope magical things will happen now. This place is a far better souce of technical information than I have found elsewhere.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Ask DVR_DUDE if he furnishes the torx drivers (doubtful) and/or instructions (probable). Also in one case recently posted the drive he featured on his eBay page (Google "eBay DVR_DUDE") was the "quiet" version and sold for $30 more than the "not as quiet" version. Unless your TiVo is located in a very quiet place (e.g., bedroom) you can probably be happy with the cheaper one. You have to ask about it I guess since it wasn't on his web page.

After installing the new drive your CableCARD(s) will most likely have to be re-paired by the Cable Co, and this may require a truck roll, although the trend recently is toward "self-install" where you just call them or use a web page.

DVR_DUDE has an excellent reputation here.

18. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Dvrdude used to offer a torx driver "kit" for an additional $5. Think he still does.

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If he does it's probably a good deal. I had a driver but paid $10 for a bit set that contained the 10 and 15 bits (and others that duplicated bits I already had).

20. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    My local Home Depot had a "23 piece precision screwdriver set" (SKU:471793) which had a handle, flexible shaft and 5 hex, 4 Phillips, 4 slotted and Torx 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15, 20 bits for $4.88