Need a universal remote - help

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pos1, Dec 30, 2020.

1. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009

Advertisements

We currently use our TV peanut remote instead of the TV remote. Works awesome.
    We added a Roku Stick a year ago. This does NOT support IR, so I am extremely limited in universal remotes.

Currently, we watch Tivo. All is good. But when we want to watch Roku we need to use the TV remote to switch the input, then use the Roku remote to watch Roku. When we want to switch back to either TV or Tivo we need to use the TV remote to switch the input...then back to the Tivo remote. So juggling 3 remotes. Painful.

I know from reading that I need a hub-based remote for the Roku streaming stick because that version of Roku doesn't support IR. I would choose the Logitech Harmony Companion because I simply don't need anything super fancy...and it's the least expensive.

Our Tivo peanut-shaped remote controls Tivo, TV and sound bar. That works awesome.

So...will the Companion completely replace the Tivo remote so that I can now control all 4 devices with a single remote? What's most important to me on the Tivo remote is the Tivo button (to to Tivo), Live TV and Guide...along with the obvious mute, volume, channel, record, play, fast forward, etc. buttons. I never use the Thumbs. I don't even know what the numbers are for.

Anybody have experience with this setup?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Does your TV require you to hit a select button to switch inputs? Our son's Vizio and our Onkyo receiver don't and we're able to switch inputs on both with the TiVo remote.

Scott

3. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I do NOT need to switch inputs on the TV when going to Tivo. I just click on the Tivo button at the top of the remote.

I do need to switch inputs when using Roku.

For what it's worth, my antenna (no cable) goes through the Tivo...then Tivo goes to TV. I'm guessing that's why I don't need to switch inputs for Tivo...because it's getting the antenna feed directly.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sorry that didn't answer the question which is when you use the TV remote to switch inputs, do you have to use a second button like Select or Enter to actually move to that input? If not, the Input button on your TiVo remote should work to switch TV inputs as ours does which would eliminate the need for the TV remote. Might help to mention TV model.

Scott

5. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009

Advertisements

Visio E390i-A1 TV. To switch inputs, I use the TV remote to click on the "Input" button, then scroll to the correct input, then press the OK button.

This is for switching between TV input and Roku input. No input selection needed for Tivo.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most TVs allow the secondary presses of the Input button to cycle down the list and a press of a volume button will clear that menu.

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    It would be cheaper to just get any other Roku besides the stick. Then any universal would work. I think I paid something like $25 for my last Roku Express. But yes, your Companion will control all your devices including the Tivo. If there aren't enough buttons to put all the Tivo functions on, you'd use the smartphone app for the rest of the functions.

Your Vizio also has a full array of discrete input commands that you can use on a universal so that you can go directly to any input with a single command. I have the pronto hex codes for a couple hundred Vizio discrete commands including all inputs, discrete on and off, discrete picture modes, full qwerty, upper and lower case and special characters.

8. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Yeah. That was my thought. Get a new Roku and buy a universal remote for $10.