Need a recommendation (DirecTV vs Comcast)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mr_spitts, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mr_spitts

mr_spitts New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Hello,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I currently have DirecTV with a Directivo in my living room and regular receivers in my bedrooms. I happy with it for the most part but the technology is definitely dated. The hard drive on the Directivo is small and it cannot record in HD. Also I would like the Tivo2go features, especially the ability to put programs on my video ipod. I have seen the HD DVR that DirecTV is offering but I am not willing to pay $600+ for it especially since it does not have the Tivo2go features.

Comcast in the SF Bay Area offers a HDTV DVR for a monthly charge of only $9.95. This seems much more reasonable than purchasing the DirecTV equipment, plus paying $10.95 a month for the DirecTV HD programming. However, the Comcast system also does not have the Tivo2go. I considered just going with Comcast and buying the standalone Tivo, but then I cannot record in HD!!

I have been a faithful DirecTV customer for close to 10 years now and I would hate to see it go, especially the football package. But I'm tired of waiting for their technology to step into the 21st century. I hate having to buy all new equipment every couple of years. It seems Comcast offers the latest equipment without the need to purchase it.

The features I must have are:

HDTV compatibility
    Record HDTV
    Transfer recorded shows to ipod/computer

What's my best bet here?

2. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    TiVo will be bringing out a Cablecard HD TiVo next year and Comcast will be upgrading their Motorola HD DVR to run the TiVo software. Both of these options should give you HD recording and the networking features of standard (Non-DirecTV) TiVo's.

DirecTV on the otherhand is getting out og the TiVo bisniness. While they will carry on supporting what is there at the momemnt they won;t build and ship new TiVo boxes in favor of their own DVR.

My plan is to wait a few months and then dump DirecTV in favor of Comcast and enjoy HD TiVo with all the networking features I want. IMHO if you want TiVo then you are not a DirecTV customer long term.

3. rmeredith@pa.ne

rmeredith@pa.ne New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    I say dump D* & go w/ Comcast. I just made the switch & think I made a wise decision. The current DVR (Motorola 6412) isn't bad - the interface just isn't TiVo. I'm willing to wait. In the meantime, I have a nice DVR w/ dual tuner HD capabilities & a sweet HD picture.

4. mr_spitts

mr_spitts New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks for the input. I think I will wait until Comcast gets the Tivo software and then go with them. Any idea when that conversion is going to be happening?

5 years ago I would have told you you were nuts for suggesting cable over DirecTV. So sad to see it go! They better get with the program or they will be losing a lot of money. I love the football package, but its just not worth the limited technology and high price.

5. The_Dude99

The_Dude99 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    I made the switch a month ago, and I can't live with out the HD. I am very pumped for the TIvo for comcast. Locals in HD with comcast is a a plus too.