Need a quick bit of advice

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by error, Jan 16, 2006.

1. error

error New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I'm wanting to get into a Tivo DVR unit but I'm not sure which after reading everything here, the new stuff that came out at CES and the announcement of the equipment lease.

I have a 57" HDTV and would really like to be able to have HD and recording but I'd settle for just recording right now. To me, it looks like my options are this and please correct me if I'm wrong:

R10 (local store has one held for me)
    SD DVR only, non-upgradeable/non-hackable at present time, $0 with rebate, 2 year commitment during which I could not squeeze anything more out of D* for free/discounted in case I wanted to upgrade to HD.

HR10-250
    HD DVR, hackable/upgradeable, but going to cost about $299 after rebates/instant credits, 2 year commitment

What else would be a good choice? Does Sony make a current HD DVR unit? I'm trying to buy something before the 3/1 date for the equipment lease to start. It seems like hacking will be a whole lot easier on equipment that's not leased.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    There are other HD-DVRs, but only for PURE OTA signal only, or via the Cable Co's.
    Sony does make one, but it is for OTA signals only... IIRC

Your R10 and HR10-250 facts are correct

Once the leasing model get's here.... hacking it going to be a very "intresting" grey area.

The upcomming HR20 is "supposed" around the Q2/Q3 mark, but until a formal date is announced, is is a moving target.

3. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    If you can find an SD-DVR80, that is a more hackable SD model.
    The R10 is upgradable, easily, but not hackable.

Sony does not. (At least not a DirecTV one.)

Those are your only options.

H

4. error

error New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for the quick answers.

I think I'm going to talk to the retention department about getting the the HR10-250. From what I've read, it looks like there will be a relatively inexpensive upgrade path to the MPEG-4 unit when that is all available in my area (Missouri). Though, that might conflict with the idea of own vs. lease when one does the upgrade.

As far as hacking goes, I just want the ability to customize; I'm not looking to get service for free. Larger and second hard drive, networking, etc. I know there are challenges with some things, but having a unit that has at least been hacked into without major hardware mods is what I'm after.

*edit: Does anybody know, if I call up and get a HR10-250 from D*, will I HAVE to let an installer come put it in or is there an option for install-it-yourself?