Necessary to transfer used lifetime Premiere to my account?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Pmack714, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Pmack714

Pmack714 New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I recently picked up a few used lifetime Premiere units for dirt cheap. Is it actually necessary to transfer them to my Tivo account, or can I just plug them in and they'll be seen by my other Tivos?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Not necessary, but probably desirable.

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, you need to transfer them to your tivo.com account or else the other Tivos cannot get access to them, they need to also get your Media Access Key for that access. If you do not get them transferred over, your other Tivos may get these "new" Tivos listed in your shows list, but cannot access the content.

Also, be sure that the software is up to date (v20.7x, or v21.7+) before you run Guided Setup, or otherwise, they will not get any channels. It will be done by Tivo service connections over your network. The version can be shows in System Information in the settings menu.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct answer:
    Your other TiVos would be able to see these “new” boxes on the network, but they wouldn’t be able to interact with them in any way until they’re all on the same TiVo account *and* this new account inventory has made its way down to all the boxes via one or more service connections from each box.

You’ll also want the Premieres listed on your TiVo account should you want to take advantage of any future upgrade promos associated with Premieres.

5. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    And, to follow up on kfkaufman's point, if YOU don't transfer them to your account, the previous owner could (unscrupulously) use them to take advantage of an offer of service transfer / upgrade promo, which could cause YOUR boxes to lose their lifetime status.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Since you probably don't know who the previous owner was heres the best thing to do
    -set them up and make sure they work
    -once they are up and running let them connect for a few days (a week or so). In addition I did some forced connections.
    -Then call Tivo and explain the situation. They will see that you've connected to them a few times and they will transfer them.
    One thing though when you transfer them and they ask questions. One question they ask is what zip is it set up for. If you use a different zip than your actual one (I had to) make sure you give them THAT zip and not your actual.

My posts on the subject
    Bought TiVo with lifetime at Goodwill, can't get in activated on my account
    Transferring a Tivo when dont know who owned it before

gthassell likes this.
  7. Pmack714

Pmack714 New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the great information. I'm especially happy to learn the transfer procedure is easier now. The last time I transferred a lifetime box, it took several weeks of back and forth between Tivo, the original seller, and me. I wasn't looking forward to that...

unclehonkey likes this.
  8. jfriedlund

jfriedlund New Member

Nov 30, 2009

I was intrigued by the comment on the Guided Setup. I also bought a used lifetime Premier XL unit and didn't bother transferring to my account. The problem however I've done the guided set up (many times) with the same result. The ABC station that comes up showing the correct call letters (13-1 WLOSDT ) shows the TV Guide correctly but the signal will not come in. However another 13-1 (no call letters but shows the ABC logo) comes in crystal clear but the guide never updates, always shows "to be announced"

I called Tivo, gave them the frequency numbers of the stations showing, after three weeks they said it was corrected, but it's not. Suggestions?

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would submit a lineup change request again.

Report a Lineup Issue

Scott