Nebbie Options for Remote Viewing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommiet, May 31, 2016.

1. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Got my Bolt today and will have an Premiere XL4 (lifetime) and 2 mini's coming Friday. Now that the hardware is purchased, I'm trying to determine my remote TV options. I'm accustomed to being able to watch live tv and recorded video. But I'm seeing that the only way I can do that with all my hardware is to buy more... A Slingbox. It seems I will only be able to view some channels. I understand that I can watch via Android/iOS, but not via a web browser. Amazing for a product like Tivo.

I've been reading and it seems I'll only be able to view "some" channels remotely. Not a show stopper, but I travel weekly and watching my local TV and my recordings is nice to have.

Can someone tell me with the hardware I have, what I'll be missing.

YUP... looked and looked and read and Googled, and emailed Tivo (no response.)

Thanks for the help.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What exactly do you want to do? Who is your cable provider?

I don't believe out of home streaming to iOS or Android devices is working yet with the Bolt and I don't think we are expecting out of home streaming to a web browser (laptop etc.) at all.

However you can copy content from your Bolt (or Premiere XL4) to iOS or Android devices to take it with you and you can also copy content to a computer. There are some potential issues with copying content if you cable provider restricts that function.

3. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    My Cable company is CHARTER
    Yup..... I want to be able to view LIVE TV remotely via a web browser. Seems if I want that, I'll need to go back to a Slingbox. Had a Slingbox Pro years ago and it worked ok. Guess much has not changed in the last 10 years with Tivo and remote access. No Biggie.... But just wanted to validate all my reading as some items are dated.

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The Slingbox 350 is a nice HD unit and can be had in the $60-90 range and is well worth it. Plus you won't have to worry about all the ridiculous MSO and TiVo restrictions.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    One more option that works well at our vacation home. Plex with the tivo plugin installed can give you remote access to any recording on your tivos. Not live tv but all recordings can be streamed to any plex client. We use an amazon fire device at our vacation home and its linked to our tivo's this way as well as our media server and has been very reliable.