NCIS LA - What a Joke!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by speedcouch, Oct 21, 2009.

1. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina

Advertisements

My husband and I dumped the season pass to this show after last week. It's just a joke! They have no boss, they never tell anyone they are with NCIS and most of the stories do not involve Navy investigations. Last week when they were going after a mercenary because he USED to be a marine was the end for us.

I'm assuming CBS thinks they can ride on the coat tails of the original series in attracting a hipper, younger crowd. But jeez, just give it a different name and don't even claim they work for the Navy! That show is more like Dark Blue on TNT than NCIS...

Not that I ever really believe the orignal show is like the NCIS we have here in my building. Trust me, they never invesigate murders (unlike that's all the show characters do). But at least the Mark Harmon series pretends to investigate crimes involving Navy and Marine active duty personnel. Unlike that abortion from LA.

Just another example of CBS having no respect for their audience and having no imagination to come up with a new idea for a show...

Cheryl

2. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Did you mean "abortion" or "aberration"?

I kinda like the show, although it should definitely not be called NCIS at all. It's pretty much like any other procedural cop show, not like Jag or NCIS.

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I am an episode or two behind and I agree for the most part.

I am growing more and more dismayed with this show.

Several things they need to do:

1) Get a boss. As you mentioned, nobody is in charge. There used to be someone in charge, but nobody is in charge.
    2) Get a real office. The spanish themed bordello makes a ridiculous setting for an office and has got to go. It is absurd.
    3) Enough with the hand-to-hand combat. We get it LL Cool J has big muscles. He does not need to grapple with every bad guy.
    4) Get rid of the midget lady. Seriously what is her job? Are they portraying her as a boss? She needs to have her role reduced significantly. Heck one magazine compared her to being the Jethro of her show, say what?
    5) Make up your minds about the flipping computers. In the cross-over/creation episode they over-used the sliding screen technology. Then they completely tossed it out for the first few episodes in the spanish whorehouse and replaced it with a joystick. Then along episode 3 or so it makes a small re-appearance. Make up your point.
    6) What is the point? I understand the point of the other show. This show is supposed to be about undercover agents? It makes no sense. It doesn't seem like they are undercover. It just seems like they are running around willy nilly punching each other.

Seriously this show needs a lot of work. They need a supervisor bad though, and they need to get rid of the little lady, and they need a real office. That is a quick start to trying to make the show watchable.

4. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    They're using the CSI Miami principle. Dumb it down even further than the original, increase the style factor and gratuitous babe shots. Instant hit! The sad thing is that this show is on CBS and the vastly superior Southland was on NBC. If they were reversed, this show could have been killed by Leno and the better show would have survived.

5. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004

Advertisements

In the episode I saw, it looked like she was providing special equipment/gadgets like Q. Actually, more like E(dna) from "The Incredibles."

6. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    The show has no real timeslot competition at all...well unless you like reality shows. I'm almost shocked at the lack of non-reality shows that are on Tuesday nights now. It's why the original NCIS has jumped into the top spot ratings wise and why the spinoff is also doing so well.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Tuesday nights are catch-up nights for me. There's not a single show on any network on Tuesday night that I'm interested in.

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC

So I guess you don't like the show?

9. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    My wife and I gave up on it after the first episode. Too stupid to warrant wasting an hour of my time per week.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Who wastes an hour on this show or any other one for that matter?

It's more like 42 minutes. :) Shorter if you FF through the fluff.

The last episode the new guy lost the camera button.
    So what do they do? They start looking for it.
    Why not just tell the tech guy to see where it is?
    I'll continue to record it, but it's not up there with the "have to watch" shows.

11. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    What a disappointment. I haven't started watching this because I had not caught up with last season's NCIS and figured I would want to see the cross-over episode. Do I need to, or should I just start watching this one to see if I like it?

12. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The crossover episode isn't necessary to understand what's what in this show. It was just used to introduce the characters.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    And unfortunately they threw a lot of the better aspects of the crossover episode out, in my opinion they just kept a handful of characters and trashed the rest for no good reason. (i know.. "tested badly was the reason.. I don't agree")

Personally? I preferred the crossover, it was more "NCIS spinoff" this show they're broadcasting now has barely any relationship.

Nice eye candy in the 2 leads tho..

14. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    +1. What a disappointment. The original NCIS is still one of our favorites however.

15. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...
    I didn't really understand the Abby cross over in the last episode, she's on the phone back in Virginia, but it was obviously not in her lab. Why couldn't they use her lab from NCIS? She used the handset on the phone, which she never does on NCIS, she uses a headset or speaker phone, and she has the video camera's in the lab, why didn't the call her on that like the call Vance?

16. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    I have given up on this show.

It is obvious that the small woman is the boss. The fact that she spends a lot of time worrying about clothes is somewhat disturbing.

As others said this is all style over substance, what I love about NCIS is the team relationships and this show has none of that. These are all "cool" people making sure you know how "hip" they are.

17. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, this last episode might have done it for me, and I am a huge NCIS fan. But then
    they shoot the assassin and she is bleeding out all over the place, and they think she might die from it, but they don't even bother to try to follow her wounded, bleeding ass? How far could she have gotten?

and later, trying to be funny

they lost a camera and can't even look at the recording to see where it fell off? It is not funny, it is being incredibly idiotic.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My girlfriend really likes the show. Much more than NCIS: DC. Although she liked JAG too which I guess is where NCIS: DC was spun off of.

Personally I like NCIS: LA, but I still like NCIS: DC much better.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

The original boss, in the NCIS: DC show last year was an actress that was on CSI: Las Vegas. I don't know what happened to her character when the series started. I guess they felt the need to get rid of the character and replace her with EDNA(I don't know the characters name)

20. aintnosin

aintnosin [Spoiler]

Jun 25, 2003
    Lake Forest, CA
    The cross over didn't work for me at all. Rocky Carroll and Pauley Perrette were playing characters with the same name as their NCIS character but who otherwise didn't really have anything to do with the "mothership."