NBC's Night Shift, A summer series? SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeCC, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1 of 33
    MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    OMG, this is painfully bad.

The characters are one dimensional, and plots cliché-ridden. The lead character is an unlikeable ass hat, a doctor too full of himself and prone to violence and idiocy.

Were I the hospital administrator, I'd have filed charges and had the ******bag banned from the property. Sorry, assaulting the administrator and punching him is a crime. The doc is so troubled he would be unreliable and a danger to others.

I watched two episodes and can say this is an awful, awful show.

2. Jun 4, 2014 #2 of 33
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Reverse everything MikeCC says about the show and characters for my opinion. :)

Loving most every minute of it.

3. Jun 4, 2014 #3 of 33
    59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I've also been enjoying it.

4. Jun 4, 2014 #4 of 33
    Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I'll go along with Mike. It is like the last tired years of ER, almost the same plot but less interesting characters but I will give it a few episodes as little is on. Since it is at night they ought to consider zombies or something to add pep to the show.

Black Box is an example of adding pep for instance. Treating crazy people but the doc is also crazy too, good hook to make me tune in. When crazy she also has lovemaking with anyone, a great hook to keep my interest. Well Night Shift needs a hook to get viewers.

5. Jun 5, 2014 #5 of 33
    late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    I'm with Doug, we've enjoyed it so far.

6. Jun 5, 2014 #6 of 33
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Summer show for me, I don't see it lasting, but fills some space on my Tivo.

7. Jun 5, 2014 #7 of 33
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    It's a ludicrous show, but full of beautiful people doing cool things so it's entertaining.

8. Jun 5, 2014 #8 of 33
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    When I first heard about this show I was hoping it would be a take on the 1982 comedy movie of the same name starring Henry Winkler that also premiered the debut of Michael Keaton. It was directed by Ron Howard and also starred Shelly Long. When I saw it was just going to be another tired medical drama I decided to give it a wide berth.

There's enough of this crap on TV during the regular season and there are other decent TV shows on cable that I'd rather spend time watching. It also gives me a chance to catch up on all of the movies I've been stockpiling during the winter months. I have yet to see anything decent presented on the major networks during the summer season and I don't see this being any exception. I'll pass.

FYI, the schtick with the bi-polar doctor (i.e., Black Box) was already tried last year and lasted about two episodes before it got canceled, although I believe all episodes were aired even after the cancellation was announced. It starred Steven Pasquale of Rescue Me and was called Do No Harm. It aired last summer and ran for 13 episodes. I stopped watching it as soon as I heard it had been cancelled.

9. Jun 5, 2014 #9 of 33
    Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Well I never saw those as they had men doctors, no wonder they failed. I recall yet another it was "3 pounds" or something like that, about brain doctors. It failed fast, again men doctors. Black Box has attractive female star and will get watched. Well Night Shift has or could add more attractive people and even comedy (as suggested above) could be a hook. Zombies, vampires, witches, fake doctors, fake medicine, insurance frauds, plenty of other stuff could be a hook, but it needs one. Look how long Private Practice lasted, with an attractive cast and lots of hooks like that.

10. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I think the hook is supposed to be TC's (the lead doc) tormented past: his time as battlefield physician in Afghanistan, his tumultuous failed romance with Jill Flint's character (now THERE'S a reason to watch...!) and how his medical experience in a war zone makes him a whiz-bang super doc.

Trouble is, the character is about as unlikeable as any I've come across. He is selfish and violent and rash and demeaning. I get that some shows thrive on the "anti-hero," but somehow you have to make the anti-hero likeable in some way. TC just annoys the crap out of me.

I hope Jill Flint didn't leave Royal Pains for this...

11. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    So, having pretty girls that are bi-polar sluts is your primary factor for judging the quality of a TV show? FYI, Do No Harm also starred Alana De La Garza, formerly of Law & Order. She makes quite an attractive lady doctor so your premise holds no water. There were several other attractive female cast members, IIRC.

12. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    It's something to fill the empty hours between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.

But boy, I bet Jill Flint really wishes she was back at Hamptons Heritage flirting with Hank. :D

13. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    I thought I recognized that actress!

14. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I like that it moves really fast.

So fast you don't have time to think about how bad it probably is...

I'll keep watching...

15. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I've watched both of them so far and will probably watch the next one, but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. If that makes sense.

16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I have only watched the pilot so far, but I like the hot male lead doctor. :) I also like the hot male other intern/resident/doctor (?) that was Booth's brother on Bones.

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    How about some applause for the lady Tivo users in the audience? :up: DVRs aren't just for guys anymore. :D

18. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ahhh, yes that is a good hook I like a bunch. As far as the other shows, I said I never saw, that means when I saw ads or promos for that show there were no attractive people in those ADS, so they got dropped from my fall list or whatever. Remember only 2 tuners then, I have 4 now!

If they did have pretty cast I never saw I would rely on hearing about it here (main reason I come here) or other TV forums and might then check it out, but all I read is cancellation by time I looked them up so no, never saw those. Did watch a couple episodes of 3 lbs and it was dull guy surgery, no hook. If I want that there is always Discovery, TLC and so on with better shows. If a show has good cast it also needs good costuming for that cast, if they are always in green head to toe medical garb, I feel like I am looking at Taliban. No hook there!

19. DavidJL

DavidJL Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Dana Point, CA
    I usually like to give a show at least 3-5 episodes, but some are so bad that I cancel after 1, this I gave 1.5 episodes. IMO the first episode was horrible, but it was a pilot so I forced myself to watch a little more, it was more of the same crap. I like some of the actors in other things and I wish them the best and hope they move on to better things soon.

20. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I'd say it felt like a made-for-cable TV show, but regular cable has some pretty amazing shows these days.

I like Jill Flint but she lacks gravity. The writing is painfully bland.

This is garbage.