1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC's "New Amsterdam" Promo

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    New NBC medical drama premiering this month. During the promo the new Medical Director tells his staff:

"Any department that places billing above care will be terminated."

Soooo, it's a fantasy?

brianric, stellie93, Tony_T and 2 others like this.
  2. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Tell the audience what they want to hear. I like Ryan Eggold (from Blacklist) but medical dramas (aka soaps) aren’t my bag so I can’t picture watching it beyond the premier.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    On my list of 75 or so SPs, not a single medical show. I've never been able to stomach them.

4. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Me either. I’m all about crime (but not legal) dramas and sci-fi/supernatural, even better if they have a comic element to them. And sitcoms.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  5. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I watch Chicago Fire and Chicago PD, but didn't bother with Chicago Med. I think I gave Code Black a few episodes before bailing in it's debut season. I never watched an episode of Gray's Anatomy or House.

ER, however, is one of my favorite shows of all time. Seasons 1 to about 8 are terrific. It's currently streaming on Hulu.

6. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I watched “House” all the way through, even though it started to sag for me around halfway or two-thirds through its run.

One of my top 10 shows ever is “Scrubs”.

I can’t think of any other medical shows I tuned into.

7. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I like medical shows, mostly. My current favorite is The Resident, but I give them all a try. I like Code Black, too. And as said above, ER was and still is a special series. I'll give this one a try, too.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  8. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
  9. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
  10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    er is one of the best shows ever. Chicago Hope was very very good too..

I watch "The Good Doctor". I liked the "Elon Musk type runs a hospital" show (and the "Elon Musk type runs a police force") shows too....

LlamaLarry likes this.
  11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    CBS's Pure Genius and Fox's APB, right? I watched both, but the first became a little too preachy, and, I'm trying to remember what soured me on the second; I think it ended with a storyline about how they were going to sell it to private companies rather than give it to police departments.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes. They both had horrible ratings and weren't renewed..

13. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I loved that show! In fact, I only clicked on this thread because I thought perhaps they were rebooting it. Sadly, the new show is just another typical medical drama.

14. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Has anyone been able to set up a season pass for New Amsterdam yet? I've not been able to set up passes for most of the new shows, even though their premieres are less than 2 weeks away.

15. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    New Amsterdam was in my guide last night but didn't try to set up a OnePass. However, I did set up OPs for a couple of the new shows that were in the guide.

16. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Thanks. I'll try doing it that way.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Like any other genre, there are some good medical shows (ER, Chicago Hope, St. Elsewhere) come to mind, and I'm generally willing to give them a shot. I'll give New Amsterdam a shot.

18. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I saw the first episode a few days ago. Supposedly it's based on a true story. New Amsterdam refers to the name of the hospital and is said be Bellevue hospital in NY.

I'm another that is not into medical dramas. I did enjoy it though. It was relatively entertaining. I doubt that I'll record it.

Beyond that, no spoilers from me.

19. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Adapted from a true story, so who knows?

Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S8O9CO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wsfOBbSPSVEBE

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    There was a TiVo banner ad promoting the show a month or so ago and you could set up a OnePass from the banner ad (a late-night promo ad was in the guide so there was something to record back then).

So short answer, yes, I have a OP for the series.