NBC's Cutting Edge Promotion Stategy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by marksman, Nov 13, 2011.

1. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I downloaded last week's Saturday Night Live on DirecTV OnDemand. First it opened up with a commercial for a show called "Outsourced". It seemed very familiar and possibly funny. Then during the next commercial break they promoed another show with:

"A cross between 24 and Lost"

"The Event".

I do own a marketing business but I am not sure I am in the category of these media titans so clearly they have some kind of game plan that is streets ahead of what I am thinking. This backdoor marketing of shows they canceled last season must be a way for them to bolster their current struggling schedule.

Anyone have any insight to this keen marketing plan? I was trying to see if DirecTV had anything to do with it, but it seems like the shows are compiled by NBC with the short commercials in them, so I think this is all NBC's marketing acumen at work here.

To be fair to them, what is the point of them advertising their shows when I can just download them on iTunes for $2?

Edit: Next Commercial break was for Law and Order: Los Angeles

2. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    They might have purchased/planned the ad-time on a volume basis and haven't hit the numbers yet. And... Because it might be next to worthless, so they don't bother to fix it.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's funny, because both of those shows were very entertaining! (Err, I have a bunch of The Event on my currently dead [rebooting] Tivo drive that I hope to resurrect.. I think I watched MOST of Outsourced..)