NBC / Versus re-up with NHL for 10 more years

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
  2. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Cross-Posted from the 2011 Playoffs thread but more appropriate here:
    Starting next year, NBC or Versus (or whatever it will be called, I assume something with "NBC" in the name) will have every single playoff game, and that, except for the first round, they'll be the only ones showing them, including in-market. Goodbye, local TV announcers after the first round of the playoffs.

Considering there are nights where two or 3 games are on at the same time, it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

3. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    Is it going to be called the Indoor Life Network now?

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Versus sucks....I was wishing ESPN got back into the game. It would have significantly increased the general news coverage of the NHL on their regular sports programs...

5. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    Maybe, but the NBA will always take precedence.

I'm glad it's staying where it is - if it was on ESPN, it could compete with a ton of other sports.

Good article by Kevin Allen of USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2011-04-19-nhl-tv-deal_N.htm

6. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    +1

7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I totally disagree, ESPN is a BAD place for the NHL, where it would receive 6th class treatment behind the NFL, MLB, NBA and College FB and BB. Even when they HAD hockey games were shown inconsistently, their hockey recap show was hard to find very often and their sports center coverage was bad. Now it's almost ignored altogether. If Comcast is serious about upgrading Versus and making sure it's on more systems and making more of a general sports channel a la ESPN, then why couldn't this work? It sounds to me like their plans are similar to what ESPN and ABC sports did, so you might get more synergy between the more mature NBC Sports and the renamed network. The other problem with Versus as it's constituted is you have hockey, which is primarily popular in the northern half of the country surrounded by shows that are primarily geared toward the southern half of the country. They really need to get rid of a lot of the outdoorsy type shows they have on now, and replace it with more mainstream sports. Expand their college sports slate (they have started doing that), and if they can snag some of the other three majors, they can do well. I wonder if in their NFL contract they could show NFL highlights or some other peripheral stuff on the renamed net. It would also help them to develop real competition for sports center.

8. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's not my recollection of how hockey was covered on ESPN when they were televising the games. There was MUCH more general news coverage of the games on their sports programs. Now, they totally ignore hockey...

I disagree with the posted article that states ESPN wouldn't give it the level of attention that Versus gives it....baloney. Versus has one program now outside of the games...and that one was just recently added. Outside of the games, Versus ignores hockey...

9. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    The NHL has their own network. Did they not leave any room in this deal for that network to televise games?

Hockey is not my primary sport. Baseball is. If I want to know what's happening in baseball, I don't watch SportsCenter or even Baseball Tonight on ESPN. I watch MLB Tonight or Quick Pitch on the MLB Network. I haven't logged much time with the NHL Network's nightly show, but if I wanted real hockey news, that's where I'd probably go.

10. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    NHL Network is NOT received by most cable subscribers; it's something you have to pay extra to get (as is MLB Network). That's an invalid argument...

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    There would be no way that ESPN could show the number of games that Versus is showing in the new contract. ESPN originally did a great job with hockey. The day that they secured the NBA contract, hockey was relegated to second class sport. They reduced the number of games they covered and semi-final Cup games were put on ESPN2 rather than the main network (not a big deal now, but at the time they did this, ESPN2 wasn't even on all systems, and the crawls across the bottom of the screen on "the deuce" were extremely annoying), and their Hockey highlights show usually was only on once and late at night.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I do the same thing now. I rarely watch ESPN for Baseball Tonight, usually MLB Network, or heck, just come online. The problem with the NHL Network is it's VERY Canada centric. So they spend an inordinate amount of time covering the Canadian teams.

MLB Network is really cool btw. They do a great job, a lot better than the NFL Network IMO. NHL Network is not close to these two in content or highlights shows.

13. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Depends what you mean by "extra." Both of those networks are included in my digital package. It's not the cheapest one available, but I think it's the next one up. I don't have to subscribe to a Sports package to get those networks. The sports package exists, but it's mostly channels related to soccer and tennis, and the NFL RedZone channel.

14. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    There was an article in todays paper that NBC and Comcast Sports Net have partnered up so CSN will provide news content to NBC. Could this also be a possibilty that they have other agreements in the works?

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Isn't CSN owned by the same parent company as Versus and NBC? I am thinking they are just synergizing their sports nets. But, they really need to put them under one banner, so it doesn't seem like a huge mish mash. Perhaps Universal Sports or SNBC would work.

16. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    This is more local than national. In local markets where Comcast/NBC now owns both a CSN and an NBC affiliate, there is going to be some merging of sports reporting efforts to save money. I assume that will happen in Philadelphia, D.C. and San Francisco. Not sure where else. In New York, Comcast has a piece of SNY, but it's just a piece. Time Warner and the Mets also own pieces.

But probably a separate phenomenon from the national side, where they will probably do some merging of the resources of NBC Sports and Versus, much like the merging that happened a few years ago of the resources of ABC Sports and ESPN.

Might make sense to rename the CSNs into something with the NBC name, like Fox did with their RSNs. But then again, it also might make sense to keep the local separate from the national.

17. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Do what I do - get XM, put the TV broadcast on a 15-second delay, and you get your choice of local announcers.

18. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Yep. Though, they are local radio announcers, not local TV announcers. And the sound quality is much worse than what you get on your local RSN in HD/5.1.

You can even take it a step further. Unplug your center channel speaker and then turn the TV audio back up. (Assuming you aren't trying to pump the XM feed through your home theater). Then you have the radio announcers plus the TV's surround sound. You need to hope that the Versus/NBC engineers their sound correctly, i.e. commentary in the center channel only. I do this for playoff baseball because the announcers on TBS are terrible and I can't stand to listen to Joe Buck sleepwalk through a game.

Actually, you can do that without XM. Unlike MLB, the NHL doesn't require the radio stations to black out the games on their internet streams. So, if you can find the stream of the radio station whose announcers you want to hear, you can listen to it online.

19. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    At least the games are available. I remember when SportsChannel America had sole rights to the NHL on TV, including the Stanley Cup Final - and the San Francisco area was a Prime Ticket region at the time.