NBC To Offer Free Downloads Of Popular Shows

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by FilmCritic3000, Sep 19, 2007.

1. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070919nbc01

2. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    ... and now the iTunes deal-breakers becomes that much clearer... Not that this is any big surprise.

However, ABC does both, don't they?

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Kuods to NBC.

Network television supported by advertising, not individual download fees is the way to go.

Big thumbs up to them. They finally figured it out.

4. forecheck

forecheck Active Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Roseville, CA
    I would love it if they offered it on DirecTv's On Demand when it becomes available.

5. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I agree. That would be good.

6. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    But how will this work? If you buy a show on iTunes, you can view it on your computer, an iPod, a TV, and probably other devices. Will this use proprietary software? Will they use WMV with DRM? Will you only be able to watch the show in a 1" window in a web page?

7. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    To the best of my knowledge, ABC only streams shows via ABC.com, it doesn't allow for downloading. (At least that's not the intention).

Downloads at iTunes only (for ABC shows, legally).

8. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Almost certainly since, according to the article, the player will filter out stolen content.

9. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I like how Mac versions are something they are working on. Like it's any more difficult to allow Mac users to download the video file.

10. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

It was trvial when it was done via iTunes. :)

Stupid NBC.

What a bunch of numps. A step backwards as far as size of audience is concerned.

11. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    ...and of course, no amount of DRM will stop a hacker from doing what he/she darn well pleases. BT will still be the place to go for high quality commercial free content and the consumer continues to be accused of crimes they haven't commited.

12. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    If they offer closed-captioning, I might consider it.

Of course, now that I have six TiVo tuners at my disposal, I probably don't need it! :D

13. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Key phrase there:

"...for up to one week AFTER BROADCAST (emphasis mine)." Not "after download."

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Stupid indeed. So their plan is for:

-- Yet another DRM (not likely to be Windows Media since MS doesn't provide it for the Mac).

-- A proprietary video player, in addition to the players (likely iTunes and Windows Media Player, if not VLC or other freeware players) everyone already uses.

-- No ability to watch the shows when or where you really want to (i.e. more than a week later, or on the bus unless you have a laptop).

-- Assuming that the rest of the video you watch is stolen, since they've expressly said their player will only play their content.

This is yet another case of a content provider telling the consumer what is good for them and expecting them to like it, while also taking the usual time to accuse the consumer of being a thief.

15. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    They should just put them on Amazon Unbox with ads in them, like a regular broadcast.

16. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Sure sounds like he was advertising the benefit of a TiVo. ;)

Could they have meant that it is available for download for one week as opposed to regardless of when you download it, 7 days after air the license expires and you cannot watch it.

To me, that is not "allowing me to watch when I want". For certain series, I would queue up a good 4-5 episodes and then watch a bunch at one time.

IF they can get this working right, it will be my conflict resolution for Bionic Woman and The Office. Otherwise, I will not watch, and to NBC's advertisers' demise, I will not be presented with ads.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I've got no problem with the proposal. If NBC makes their content available for free, I don't really care that they're making me download a proprietary player, and since I don't have any portable player or anywhere to use a portable player, I'm fine with it not working there either.

Kudos to NBC.

But why not include "My Name is Earl?" They've got "The Office" and "30 Rock," but not MNIE. I'm going to have major conflicts on Thursday nights and it would be great if I could get the shows I need legally.

18. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I like this! I've only got the one TiVo so I have to pick a show if I have a conflict. Now when 24 comes back in January, I'll be able to keep watching Heroes via download.

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    MNIE is a 20th Century Fox show, i.e. not an NBC/Universal show, so NBC doesn't have the rights to make it available.

20. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Count me out of downloading another stupid player. Amazon Unbox was it for me. The idea of them magically "filtering stolen content" doesn't sound good anyway. How is DRM up the ass with a 7 day license and another proprietary player giving me "more control" than the nice MPEG2 recordings from my MythTV box? (Which I'm sure their player will mark as "stolen.") The "closed P2P" BS sounds like they don't even want to pay for the bandwidth to distribute the crap.