NBC Sports Network shutting down.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by trip1eX, Jan 22, 2021.

1. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

Advertisements

Comcast killed it. It will be gone by the end of the year.

They are moving some of the bigger sporting events to USA. And also putting some content on Peacock.

WSJ article.

First ball to drop in the downsizing of cable?

Ratings weren't good compared to ESPN and Fox Sports despite national reach.

PLan to make it more like TNT/TBS which show a mix of entertainment and sports. Don't plan to cut down on entertainment shows on USA.

"The move is part of a broader reassessment of the company’s cable networks unit that could see further shutdowns in the coming years. Among other networks that are considered potentially expendable are E!, Oxygen and Syfy, the Journal previously reported."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    NashGuy and pl1 like this.
  2. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Fortunately "National Hockey League, Nascar programming will move to network USA"

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    didn't they take over fox sports net?

Hmm, I wonder where I'll get the World Poker Tour that I've been recording for years but haven't actually watched in a long time... ("I'll get to it" some eon.) One of the networks that has it doesn't even have ep #s, but the new airings on what I thought is NBC sports and used to be FSN on my cable channel does..

4. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Now they have an excuse to add a bogus "sports" fee for USA subscribers.

My current FiOS TV package has no "sports" channels, so no sports fees.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA

Advertisements

It's not entirely clear but I have to assume they are keeping the RSNs aka watching your local Hockey vs the national feeds.
    I wonder how many of the national sports anchors are going to be out of a job since it is not a dedicated channel.

6. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Well this link seems to imply the RSNs will stay around as I expected.

7. SteveD

SteveD Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    My guess is they'll probably move Indycar Racing to Peacock Premium and force everyone to pay to watch the races not shown on NBC.

trip1eX likes this.
  8. SilentTuba

SilentTuba New Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You don’t pay a sports fee for TNT (which broadcasts NBA games), so why would you for USA?

mattyro7878 likes this.
  9. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, there's just not enough quality/popular content to really sustain all these different cable channel brands in addition to a major media company's streaming service (Peacock for NBCU, HBO Max for Warner, Hulu and Disney+ for Disney, Paramount+ for ViacomCBS, discovery+ for Discovery). So I think we'll increasingly see those companies' development/production/licensing dollars shifted over to their streaming services, leaving less money in place for their linear cable channels, which means some of those channels will die.

For instance, does TruTV play any strategic role for Warner? How about Disney XD for Disney? Or Travel Channel for Discovery?

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i wonder if they planned to cut it earlier, but the olympics delay due to covid forced them to push it forward a year?

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    :(

Sad..

I think this means I'll lose my footy fix (Premier League)

12. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    Let me fix that for you...

It will be interesting to see what happens when NBA and NFL contracts come up.

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yeah this is bad for racing in general, MotoGP was also on NBCSN and who knows where they'll go now. My guess is the new mo money network.

14. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    To quote the WSJ article, "English Premier soccer will also have matches on USA."

15. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    And then there is this quote "The English Premier League, which was streamed several times on Peacock, hasn’t had its future determined for US television." from Deadline.com.

16. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
  17. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    They at least have all the PRemiere League replays (back) on Peacock.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  18. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Maybe they can take ESPN with them.... That way I would have about 20 less channels to block.. ;)

MScottC likes this.