NBC moves The Firm to Saturday, Awake to take it's Thursday spot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1 of 41
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Title says it all. Awake will be taking the place of The Firm on Thursday at 10pm starting March 1st, which replaced Prime Suspect in the same slot a few weeks ago. The Firm is moved effective immediately. I hope the show does well, it looks interesting, but that time seems like a death slot on NBC.

2. Feb 3, 2012 #2 of 41
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    re-runs of Grimm will air until Awake starts in March.

3. Feb 3, 2012 #3 of 41
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I guess The Firm isn't doing so well. Surprise surprise. I think it's ok, but they spend too much time on the case of the week and not enough time on the underlying plot, which is what interests me. The fact that it's moved to Saturday makes me think I'll drop the SP, since we'll probably never find out much about the underlying theme.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #4 of 41
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I've been recording these in case it's worth watching, but have been watching a bunch of other stuff first. If they move this to Saturday and run repeats of Grimm throughout ratings month, I'd say that doesn't bode too well for this show. Might just be freeing up some space on my DVR soon!

5. Feb 3, 2012 #5 of 41
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The Firm is definitely done. It got a 0.8 last night. That's ridiculously low. That would be ridiculously low for a Friday or Saturday. But for a Thursday night, that's just appalling.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #6 of 41
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I read somewhere that when you bring in cable shows etc. that it finished 8th in it's time slot last week. Incredibly bad for a broadcast network on Thursday night. Hill Street Blues, LA Law, ER... NBC owned that time slot for a long long time and now they are finishing behind cable shows.

7. Feb 3, 2012 #7 of 41
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    According to this site, it's officially cancelled.

8. Feb 3, 2012 #8 of 41
    calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
  9. Feb 3, 2012 #9 of 41
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    anybody know if they made all 7 eps of the firm?

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty sure they jumped the gun on that one. I haven't seen that from any other "legitimate" TV news site (TV Line, HuffPo TV, TVByTheNumbers, etc.).

I think they'll air all the episodes they have ordered, but I can't see them ordering more at these ratings. Technically, that isn't being canceled - it just means that they aren't renewed.

11. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    The star of that sounds exactly like Dustin Hoffman to me, and looks like he could be his son.

And I just looked him up... he was Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films. I wouldn't have suspected that in a million years.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It looks so interesting I'm surprised it's not scheduled for the Friday night death slot on Fox.

Maybe we could get him to dream that he's watching episodes of Daybreak, Traveler, Journeyman, The Event, Flash Forward, VR-5, Harsh Realm, Strange Luck, Coronet Blue, et cetera, that we never got to see.

13. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I was looking forward to The Firm because I've been dying for some new serialized shows, but when all the reviews I read the first few weeks indicated that it was more "case of the week" I decided to not even check it out. I think the last 10 years of TV ruined me because I can't stand procedural shows (Criminal Minds being the exception). I couldn't get into Person of Interest for the same reason, it just doesn't interest me to get into a show that's not serialized. Buffy, Alias, 24, Prison Break, Lost, Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, etc.

The game plan for The Firm was probably to introduce the central, underlying arc but then put it aside with "case of the week"s to try to make it more accessible as it finds it audicence, and then as time went on get more and more serialized. It's kind of what Lost did--it was presented as a show about a plan crash with a TINGE of "sci-fi" / "fantasy" elements, but then as the season went on it got more and more out of control.

I watched the trailer for Awake the other day and it definitely looks interesting. I think it makes a great trailer and would probably make an awesome movie or mini-series, but despite having a majorly catchy synopsis, I have no idea how they can keep it riveting for the long term. I think it's definitely gonna be more procedural because the central concept doesn't seem like it could fill a series.

14. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    The Firm definitely is serialized heavily, while still having a different story or trial or client every week... Buffy did pretty much the same thing. In my estimation they spend about 1/3 of the time on the serialized stuff and the other 2/3 on the "case-of-the-week" and other character development and subplots.

I'm not saying it's good or bad... I'm indifferent about it. If they wrap it up in a bow by the last episode, It might make an enjoyable watch on Netflix someday.

15. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I enjoyed it. I hope they at least tie up some of the lose ends as the episodes are burned off.

I also agree with Peter in that even though he has a different case each week they have been progressing the Serial plot every week. It has never really taken a backseat to the current case of the week.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Most of NBC's ratings are appalling.
    ;)

Considering The Firm debuted at 1.4 in 18-49 for the worst premier of an NBC series ever, you knew it was going to be exiled pretty quickly.

The reason it hasn't been officially cancelled has to do with the financing of the show.

I don't have all the deals but foreign TV markets (the UK? Europe?) have agreed to bear some of the financial cost for this show.

17. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Until they can come up with a drama worth a damn, NBC should just play reruns of ER, West Wing, Hill Street Blues and LA Law.

18. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    That's be kinda cool! :D

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It would be, call it TV Land :)

Actually, a night of classic dramas would probably do better in the ratings than what they are showing now. I think with The Firm, they were clearly going after the same audience as The Good Wife, which is laid out similarly, Case of the Week with underlying story below. Only The Good Wife is better written. The Firm is ok, but the back story just isn't interesting me enough to bother finishing the plot line. With it being canceled, there's no chance I will finish out the remaining episodes.

20. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    I wonder how this show is doing in other markets. Apparently, this is also shown worldwide on Sony's AXN and in Canada on Global. It's conceivable the show could continue, even if it's getting terrible ratings here. 22 episodes have been ordered, according to Wikipedia, which is an unusually large order for new series, perhaps because the multiple markets make this a low risk for any one of the players.