NBC going to year round scheduling

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
  2. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Hallelujah.

3. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    It's only halleujah-worthy if they find a spot in the year-long schedule for FNL. If not, it's BIH NBC!

4. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    With what shows? NBC has really been in the crapper for a while now.

5. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...

Advertisements

It's about time, I think the current system is antiquated and needs to go away. Nice to see them take this step.

6. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I kinda liked having a break from TV in the summer, but the past couple of years has changed that anyway, with cable being more competitive and the networks rolling out some reality series. This is a logical continuation of that, I guess.

7. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    It's a logical move considering the Networks are advertising driven. They can charge more money if they have fresh content. Another advantage of this is that they will now stagger the introduction of new shows instead of bombarding our TiVos with everything new under the sun all at once. I have seen many a good show get cancelled because there was too much competition and people simply didn't have time to get into them or they were busy trying to sample all the other new offerings coming at them.

I love this development and since the decision was revenue driven and if this works, you can bet the other networks won't be far behind.

8. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    Reality Shows for everyone - year around !

Oh Joy !

* Wait, I'd swear they've been doing that for a few years now ?

9. dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    and they'll schedule new episodes for the middle of July and then wonder why no one's watching :p

10. flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Redwood...
    If only there was some magic device that could take a show broadcast in July and timeshift it to a more desireable timeslot... :cool:

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    +1,000,000

TV Guide said, however, that one of FNL's stars (Taylor Kisch, who plays Tim Riggins) was given permission to go work on a movie, which does not bode well for its future.

12. rondotcom

rondotcom I Like To Watch

Feb 12, 2005
    Isn't that called the USA Network?

13. needo

needo New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    He was signed to play Gambit in the upcoming Wolverine movie. He signed on for a three movie deal.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Interestingly:
    As a result of the new plan, Mr. Silverman said, “NBC will have more original programming year-round than anyone else.”

So it's not just a shell game with new eps/reruns airing intermixed to make the new episodes "last longer".

15. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    People will watch if it's good enough. The main reason people didn't watch was because it wasn't on (IMO)... :)

16. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Great move.

I always thought it was stupid why the networks just assume that people are night water-skiing all summer long and incapable of watching tv. It has always been a self-fulfilling prophecy. The same way they have managed to make Saturday night a horrible tv night, when in tv history some of the most popular shows of all time have run on Saturday night.

Many of the cable networks essentially do this now, perhaps with a lower percentage of original programming.

This is going to allow for more new programming, overall, which I believe is a very good thing.

17. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    What are FNL fans doing in the middle of july that they do not watch tv?

18. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree. I much prefer to have things spread out through the year.

19. dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, I spend a lot more time outdoors in the middle of July -- not that it matters to me, since I won't be watching it when it airs whether its on on Friday or any other day of the week, and in May, July or any other month:D

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    + me

:confused: