NBC Classics

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

New streaming service from NBC for streaming old shows. Not sure if there's an app for it yet, but it's available on the web:

http://www.nbc.com/classic-tv

2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Meh.......

I'll probably consider using the service for

[​IMG]

but a good deal of the other stuff, like Emergency, and what not are on MeTV

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    They seem to have an odd idea of what a classic is.

4. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yeah, who wants to watch something when they want when they can just wait for it to show up on tv?

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I admit I have FAR too many choices for shows already.. and sort of "waste" my money on Amazon Prime to have _yet_ another choice.. But _IF_ those are uncut, it would be a reason..

I guess they still have commercials, since it's lumped in along with the current shows? At first I thought this might be a separate service one pays for without commercials..

(BTW, I didn't mean by the first part that I was even considering subscribing to another service, just that there is _a_ reason I could see it rather than recording reruns... uncut episodes.)

6. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I think you missed my point entirely

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Seriously.

Lipstick Jungle? Life? "The Event"? that new "Knight Rider"? Average Joe?

At least 10 of these shows are FAR from "classics". Their pure crapolla filler IMO.

8. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    No Cosby Show? Where will I see the countless moral lessons that I learned from Bill Cosby?

9. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    He's teaching new moral lessons these days. TMZ has regular updates ;)

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Life was a great show.

(especially the scene with Sarah Shahi wearing not much more than cowboy boots and a come hither look)

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, I thought your point was "wait for the reruns on <some classic TV channel>".

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We need more of her on TV :)

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That was jlb's point. Scandia's response to jlb was sarcastic.

14. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wait, no Riptide, Misfits of Science, Amazing Stories?

I did like Airwolf though, the part of that show that always baffled me was how the helicopter crew would go from being in downtown in LA to flying Airwolf out of a butte in Monument Valley in the matter of a few minutes.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Was it Monument Valley? I always thought it looked more like Devil's Tower in Wyoming. But that's probably because the 12 year-old me had recently seen Close Encounters so that was my only frame of reference. Looking it up online now, it does appear the lair was in Monument Valley.

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Don't really care if it was great to a small niche of folks (hence it got cancelled after 2 seasons), it's the fact that NBC is calling it a "classic". IMO it doesn't warrant that status at all.

17. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    Interesting that some of these shows are an NBC website. I know that Major Dad, Simon and Simon and Kojak were originally broadcast on CBS. How are they NBC classics now?

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    There are production studios that produce and own the shows and there are networks that buy the rights to air the shows. It's very common for a show to be produced and owned by one studio and then the broadcast rights are purchased by an unaffiliated network. Once the broadcast window ends, the ownership rights revert to the production studio and that studio can then sell syndication rights, streaming rights, DVD sets, etc.

The broadcast network usually has no ownership stake in the shows it airs and therefore doesn't see any residual income from syndication or DVD sales. However, if both the network and the studio are owned by the same corporate parent (i.e. NBC network and Universal Studios), then the network may make decisions that will ultimately benefit the affiliated studio.

19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    They only have three categories of shows:
    • Current
    • Upcoming
    • Classic
    What do you think they should call the last category if not "classic"?

20. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    "Classic" meaning "old"

Seems like fine nomenclature to me. Thinking they mean "loved by all" is just stupid.