NBC beaten in ratings by Univision and USA

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, Oct 11, 2011.

1. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Things keep getting worse for NBC. Last night they posted a 1.2 in the coveted 18-49 demographic. Univision posted a 1.4, beating NBC for the second time in 4 weeks and USA, showing a repeat of NCIS and two hours of wrestling posted a 1.5. How long can NBC survive at this pace? They canceled The Playboy Club with a 1.2 rating was yanked and replaced with a repeat of Prime Suspect, 0.7 rating. I think they decide their programming using Rock, Paper, Scissors.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    in what time slot? What was the program?

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Over the full course of the night during prime time.

________________NBC USA
    Adults 18-49 rating 1.2 1.5
    Adults 18-34 rating 1.0 1.3
    Adults 25-54 rating 1.5 1.6
    Total Viewers (mil) 3.872 4.341
    HH rating 2.4 2.5

It was The Sing Off and Prime Suspect for NBC, NCIS and WWE Raw for USA, and Teresa, La Fuerza del Destino” (The Power of Destiny) and Don Francisco Presenta (Don Francisco Presents) for Univision.

4. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Man the script just writes itself for 30 Rock.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ever since "The Jay Leno Show" debacle, I'm amazed at how they managed to almost completely destroy their prime time and late night ratings.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The sad thing is, that I don't think their programming is any worse (or better) than any of the other networks. So, there's a disconnect here, and I'm not sure what it is.

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think it may be a reputation thing at this point. They've had some bad shows and worse choices (the whole Leno thing). People have been turned off and now won't bother even giving NBC a chance. I don't believe any of their new shows this year did well in the ratings. Other networks at least saw some initial interest in shows even if that interest has since gone away. NBC just never had it to begin with.

8. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't even pay attention to what network a show is on. If I think a show looks good, I go my my DirecTV app on my iPhone and add it to my DVR. I then just watch it when it shows up.

Like I'm watching 2 Broke Girls. I honestly don't know what network it is on.

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    So how do you know the show exists?

10. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Not only do I not know what network some shows I watch are on, I don't even know when they are on. If a show sounds like something I would like from hearing about it on TCF or a commercial or something, I search for it on my DVR and add it. Then when it shows up on my DVR I watch it.

11. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I dont want to speak for Hoffer but for me:

tvline, futon critic, imdb, eonline and entertainment weekly

12. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    For me it's mostly this forum, and the occasional commercial.

13. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    And that is the issue. Like CBS on the BBT, you should use Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock. More choices.

14. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Or they see ABC is doing Once Upon a Time. And they counter with a lesser cast and come up with Grimm. Maybe it will have something good, but really?? They just have idiots running their programming. It is pretty obvious.

15. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The thing is, most people don't watch TV this way. I believe DVR's are only in about 33% of households. So the majority of people are still plopping down on the couch and tuning in to watch their shows, meaning they know what channel it's on. For whatever reason, NBC has fallen out of favor with the viewing public.

16. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Darn, I kind of like Prime Suspect. Well, I like Maria Bello. With a 0.7, I wonder if they'll even finish airing the episodes they have. I'm surprised The Sing Off is doing so poorly. I've never seen it, but I thought all those Dancing/Singing/Talent type shows did well.

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    That 0.7 was a repeat of last weeks episode. It is being shown in place of The Playboy Club after it was canceled. The original airing of Prime Suspect pulled in a 1.5 last week.

18. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    wait...once upon a time and Grimm are not the same show? Now I am confused.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's not like ABC had Once Upon A Time already greenlighted and then NBC decided to copy them. All of these shows were in development at the same time, and the networks likely made their decisions on which shows to order to series independently. While both shows have themes related to fables/fairy tales, I think that's where the similarities will end. And even if they do share more similarities than that, you can't claim NBC copied ABC. It's just as likely that ABC copied NBC or that the projects were developed independently.

20. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I know people who won't watch NBC at all due to their perceived bias in news reporting and affiliation with MSNBC.