NBC - audio problems lately?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jgerry, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1 of 20
    jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...

Advertisements

Anyone else having issues with audio on NBC shows?

For the last week or so, every show I Tivo from NBC -- Law & Order, Chuck, The Office -- has had weird static coming through the rear surround speakers. It's not intermittent, it's pretty much through the entire show. It's incredibly annoying.

I'm just curious if it's in NBC's feed, or maybe Comcast, or maybe something specific to my setup. I've got a Tivo HD w/ multistream cablecard from Comcast, HK receiver.

2. Dec 5, 2008 #2 of 20
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    No issues with any nbc stuff here in a very long time. last year every law and order had a HD issue with them not throwing the switch but that's resolved now

3. Dec 5, 2008 #3 of 20
    Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Last night during Kath & Kim there was a few seconds of static bad enough to not hear the lines. It's pretty unusual so i want to assume it was ether Comcast, the local affiliate or NBC.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #4 of 20
    brermike

brermike Member

May 31, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    I'm in Alpharetta, GA and have noticed this as well, though my static wasn't very loud but only in the rear speakers. I've got a Tivo HD with 2 s-cards from Comcast and a pioneer receiver. I'd say there's a good chance it is NBC's feed or Comcast since I don't have the issue on any other channel and my setup hasn't changed.

5. Dec 5, 2008 #5 of 20
    jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...

Advertisements

My static is also just in the rear speakers, and it's not very loud.

I may break out my antenna and try to record NBC over the air and see if I get the same problem.

6. Dec 5, 2008 #6 of 20
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    During Office and 30 Rock last night the picture kept going out and the audio would mess up a little. During 30 Rock there was about a minute where there wasn't any picture before the switched it over to the SD version over the HD channel.

7. Dec 5, 2008 #7 of 20
    mikeinatl

mikeinatl New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I have DirectTV and a DirecTV DVR and am having the same problem. Only on NBC HD and only on the Rear Right channel. Fairly consistent static when in Dolby Digital mode. I suppose since I am hear problems on Tivo and Comcast that this is not isolated to a provider but to NBC

8. Dec 7, 2008 #8 of 20
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i watched kath/kim on mpeg 4 and got some stuttering but that's an mpeg4 /hr20 issue i believe

9. Dec 7, 2008 #9 of 20
    kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    I have had the same problem and I am also in Metro Atlanta.

I think WXIA is having problems. How we can tell them is another matter.

In the past it has been next to impossible to get stations to correct problems with their digital signals. They still get paid based on their analog viewership and have most all of their resources allocated to the analog side.

Maybe after the February date the stations will actually monitor and correct problems on the digital signal since that will be their only signal.

10. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Having the same issues in Providence.

11. ATLMike

ATLMike New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been having the same issues. I'm also in Atlanta & have Comcast.

12. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    My problems with NBC continue this week. Now I get less static, but the speaker separation with a Dolby Digital signal is all screwed up. I'm getting sound that should be from the center channel (speaking, for the most part) out of the left & right front speakers. To make matters worse, sometimes it changes back and forth from center to L+R, about every 3-6 seconds. That's not annoying in any way. :rolleyes:

13. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Atlanta, DirecTV and I have the static.

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I noticed some major audio issues on ER on NBC this past Thursday... Total silence except for strange sounding clicks for several minutes at a time.

15. hantman

hantman New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Im in DC with Series 3 and have frequent static clicks throughout NBC shows. Not loud, not in a way where you cant hear the show, but constant and annoying, like there is some sort of electrical interference. Only happens with NBC.

16. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
  17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    No static here on my receiver with NBC OTA, but the overall volume on my TV is substantially lower than the other stations.

18. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    i also have this issue with nbc shows. The clicks are rapid fire and on nearly every primetime dolby digital show. Chuck, Heroes etc.... I have a TivoHD with a multi tuner card but ive actually found this issue in houses with just a regular comcast box. Ive had this issue across comcast and and now cox. This is definitely an nbc issue. Nothing really to do i doubt nbc would take a complaint very seriously. Very weird for the record i live in northern virginia and have recreated this issue in Ananndale Alexandria and Arlington. Lemme know if anybody has resolved this issue.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Call comcast and/or your local NBC station to complain.

20. cruiserandmax

cruiserandmax Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I also duplicated this issue (which is still occuring by the way!) on comcast. Comcast was responsive to the point of coming out and investigating for a full half day. The guy checked everything from signal to physical line condition from the poll to every outlet in the house with CSI like thouroughness. In the end he found no problems whatsoever, and after further checking "upstream" determined the problem had to upstream from anything on the comcast side.

So I contaced our local NBC affiliate (KNTV) via email and just got this response:
    Given that this problem has been goind on for an extremely long time, I'm not sure if his response is honest or just a blow off.