NBC, Apple play game of brinkmanship

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  2. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    My initial thought was hmmm, NBC must have lost it, but if you think of Apple using strong arm tactics like Wal-Mart does in driving down costs by controlling market share, both are to be blamed. When Wal-Mart does this they are the enemy, but Apple is the hero?!?!?

I love the itunes store, love my ipods and generally hate every movie/tv studio/RIAA/MPAA/ foolish entertainment company, but what is the true cost of a tv show? It seems like Apple and NBC exploit their talent, and that if NBC really wanted to sell successfully, they would sell their own shows as digital downloads so they could play on any portable device or computer... without DRM.. OH WAIT!!!

I think I just answered my own question. The real problem with the situation is the limitations of DRM, if studios agreed that it wasn't necessary, then they could sell at their own prices. If it was necessary, then they really should be on itunes, because their pricing is fair and hugely successful.

The solution... stop funding companies that hamstring your playback abilities. If only THAT was easy...

3. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    My guess is that NBC will back down. After all $1.99 an episode is better than $0 an episode. I mean at $5 an episode it would cost $115 for the complete first season of Heroes which makes absolutely no sense when you can get the Heroes Session 1 DVD box set for $37 on Amazon (nearly 70% cheaper). Even the $60 retail price is still about 1/2 what it would cost to download them via iTunes with the new pricing scheme NBC wants to implement. Pretty much no one would spend $5 per episode.

Speaking of Amazon, I notice that NBC/Universal shows are also on Amazon Unbox at the price of $1.99 per episode. So either Amazon's deal with NBC Universal doesn't expire at the same time as Apple's deal or Amazon has already caved and will raise prices come December.