Navigation Question(s)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by qz3fwd, Dec 12, 2007.

1. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007

Advertisements

I have 2 questions:
    1. If I am watching a recording, how can I seek to a specific recording time? I assumed one could just enter the time on the keypad during playback and hit enter, but this doesnt work. The only navigation option I see are the ff and rw buttons with 3 different speeds each? Surely Tivo allows random access?

2. When in the todo list and then selecting a recording to play, how do I get immediately back to the recording list? The only option I see is to hit the tivo button and then naviagate to the recordings.

Is there a frackin stop button on the remote?

Thank You

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    There is no random access time, as on ReplayTV. ReplayTV is the only DVR I am aware of with that feature.

You can skip in larger increments with "skip to tick" -- to do that, press the the skip button during FFW or REW.

Pressing the left directional key will always take you back to where you just were.

There is also an IR code that takes you directly to the Now Playing list, but that isn't on the Tivo remote. That button is available with most popular universal remotes, like the Logitech Harmonys.

3. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Why in gods name wouldnt Tivo offer random access?
    Seems like such a basic feature.
    And why no stop button on the remote?

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    ReplayTV has a patent on that. I don't know whether that precludes TiVo from using it.

There is a stop IR code available with a universal remote, but it is redundant. Pressing the left arrow (back button) does the same thing.

Here's a picture of my Harmony 720 remote. Note the direct buttons for various Tivo functions. I have the hard "Menu" button set to take me straight to the Now Playing List.

5. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.

Advertisements

I believe that you can also get back to the "Now Playing" list quickly by pressing the TIVO button twice in succession....

6. fred22

fred22 New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    I like the Thread Title

Is there anyway to jump bigger increments up or down the Now Playing List (either a Home or End). My list is quite long and I am trying to get down near the bottom where I can access my PC (using pyTivo) and copy stuff to Tivo, then get back to the TOP of the list. Is PageDn and PageUp the only way?

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Try 'Skip to Tick' to jump to the bottom of the Now Playing list.

Also, turning folders on can shorten your Now Playing list significantly.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Another suggestion to turn on folders. My TiVo often has anywhere from 60-120 recordings and it would be unmanageable without folders. With folders, I only have 20-25 items to scroll through.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No stop button because it doesn't need one. You can PAUSE a recording, which in essence is stop. But typically stop means stop doing this and go do something else. The way a TiVo works--which is *very* different than the way a cable DVR works--if you want to do something else, typically you hit "Live" to go to live TV, or you press the TiVo button to get to another menu.

If you hit Live to exit a recording and go to live TV, and you are at the end (or in the last five minutes) of a recording, it will ask if you want to delete it. If you are not in the last five minutes, it exits to live TV, and remembers (bookmarks) where you are in the recording you just exited. Then the next time you go to watch it, it starts up where you left off.

STOP just doesn't exist.

If this doesn't answer your question, let us know what you would have the Stop button do for you, and we'll do our best to show you the TiVo way to do it. :)

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    On most DVRs, the stop button takes you to the original recording screen where you can delete the recording.

The IR code for stop does that on the TiVo, but that is redundant, because pressing "left" does the exact same thing.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not trying to rationalize it, but how often would one actually use it?

i.e. what exact situations would you use this for on a Tivoed recording?

I can see using this sometimes on a DVD *maybe* but even then I just chapter skip
    forward to find something.

Not having this feature simplifies things. (I know we all want features that aren't there now.. such as a free space indicator and cooperative scheduling!)

12. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Every other device I have had a stop button. I expect it to be there and dont care about the tivo way of doing it. I expect to be able to hit the stop button, which takes me to the now playing list and if I want to watch the same recording it will start from the beginning instead of resuming.

How do I turn on folders?

13. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    From the Now Playing list, hit ENTER and enable groups from the menu.

If you want two buttons that do the same thing, then you can use a universal remote.

But you've already got pause and a left arrow that takes you to the program recording screen.

Tivo did not include separate buttons for stop, Now Playing List, and other functions -- even when IR codes exist -- because they wanted to keep the remote as simple as possible.

14. fred22

fred22 New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I do have FOLDERS turned on. I guess I've been using pyTivo too much and my stuff comes across OUTSIDE of folders.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Then why did you buy a TiVo if you dont care about the tivo way of doing it?

When you buy a car, do you complain about not having a choke because your old diesel car had one?

In addition to my TiVo, I have an SA8300HD, so I am used to a Stop button and how they work. But that doesn't mean I want my TiVo to have one. Especially since it doesn't need one.

16. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I guess one could record a movie off one of the pay movie channels and then use a website like Mr. Skin to find the most interesting part of the movie and then skip to that part. Not that I have ever done it. :D

17. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Hmm, I've never used this function for THAT.
    But back a couple months ago, when I was using Replay, we quite often used it. It's just convenient to press '5' 'ffd' and jump 5 minutes forward.

Here are some uses:
    - skipping commercials.
    - going back a few minutes when you forget to pause on the way out of the room.
    - getting back to where you were quicker when you press the skip to tick on accident.

many uses besides finding 'skin'. If you never had it you'll obviously not miss it. But I can tell you it is definitely missed by many ex-Replay users. There really is no need to get nasty about this.

18. qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    How do I start watching a show from the beginning, instead of resuming from where I left off?

19. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Press the "skip" key twice while playing.

20. bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    My question is too dumb to start a separate thread, so I'm hijacking this one. I just got a TiVoHD after seven years with DirecTiVos. What happened to the down arrow switching between tuners? I used that feature all the time. :( Is there an easy way to do that, besides right-arrow, down, select? I guess pressing Live TV does it. [grumble]