Native Alexa and Google Home Skills

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gbenrus25, Mar 6, 2018.

1. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's a current timeline for the native Alexa and Google Home skills. I'm a big Amazon echo user so looking forward to testing this out. Also, would be nice to cut down on the lag from IFTTT.

BTW, Verizon just added a native Alexa skill to their main DVRs and it seems to work pretty well. You can play, pause, jump forward or backwards (for any amount of time), change channels, search for shows, actors, search DVR etc all using their Alexa skill. It's pretty much everything the Vox remote can do but using Alexa and better still, it's integrated in the Alexa video section of the app so all you need to say is "Alexa, pause" to pause rather than "Alexa, tell FiOS to pause". It'd be great if the TiVo Alexa skill is also as functional and native to Alexa.

Also, any idea if the auto skip would be possible via Alexa (rather than IFTTT) to cut down on the lag? I know Alexa doesn't have triggers but if you can implement it somehow, that'd be great.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JayMan747 likes this.
  2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Nothing official, and it involves hoop-jumping, but you can check out my Alexa TiVo Control skill (see link in signature below).

ClearToLand likes this.
  3. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Very impressive. I'm guessing for the searching for a show name, you had to program the exact macro commands sequence for the search box. Therefore, it can only search for pre programmed searches. Great work still though.

I actually already use Alexa with harmony to change channels, play, pause, mute etc. I can also just it to send IR commands to the TiVo box if those are set up as an activity. The real value of the TiVo skill to me is in searching for shows, playing DVR content and hopefully, in auto skipping.

4. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The show searches are not pre-programmed. I'm using the Amazon slots for TV shows and movies so the "macro" goes to the Search screen on the TiVo and then types in the string it heard if it can match it to a TV show or movie.

I also have the "type" utterance you can use to type in whatever string you want ("Alexa, tell TiVo to type my dog has fleas" will type that string into any text box where the ouija board is visible).

5. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017

Advertisements

Wow. That's very impressive. I'm going to try it out this weekend.

How's trying to integrate the Vox type commands going? Would be great if you could replicate the search like how the Vox remote does it

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    There was a comment in the IFTTT discussion where a reader noted that during the video demo, Shoop sometimes didn't have to say the "trigger" command. Shoop replied that the reader had an eagle eye/ear and that indeed the demo showed a native Alexa or Google (I forget which one) skill. So, native support exists at least in the lab.

7. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I agree it would be awesome but I don't know how the Vox stuff works. Everything right now is being done through the telnet interface to the TiVo and I suspect the Vox stuff is using some other (as-of-yet undocumented) API.