Nationwide EAS Test 9/20/18

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JoeKustra, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My cable feed is saying there will be an annual nationwide test at 14:20 EDT. If anyone wants to see how it is handled by TiVo (OTA/cable) or during a recording, you have a week to prepare.

My feed is very reliable. Weekly and Monthly always during the day.

krkaufman likes this.
  2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    this is not the first one
    there have been area tests already and I saw no issues.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Put your Tivos into standby!

wmcbrine likes this.
  4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    This will also be going out to cell phones at the same time, so expect to see simultaneous car crashes all across the country at 2:18 PM EST as every driver gets the bejesus scared out of them by their phone suddenly screaming at them out of nowhere.

tim1724 and jth tv like this.
  5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just heard that the alert test this week will have a special message from DJT. :eek:

6. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    Make Tivo Great Again!:)

mattack, kokishin and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  7. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    We're all dogs and losers?:confused:

8. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Here there are No rainstorms, No windstorms, pretty nothing at all. Earthquakes, well other that at the epicenter, they are pretty much a joke.

They should not be invading my life with their nonsense. "Watch me, watch me." Sheesh shut up. Ha !

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good grief. The amount of nonsense that I've read about this test is just mind-blowing.
    1) This is just an extension of the EAS system, which was a replacement for the EBS system, which was a replacement for the CONELRAD system. In all iterations, the order to issue an "Emergency Action Notification" (the national alert) would come from the office of the President.
    2) There are very specific rules that dictate when an EAN can be issued, and what the content would be. This isn't a system that would permit the President to send out a tweet or something.
    3) And because of those rules, the chances of there ever being an EAN actually issued are nearly infinitesimal. The system has it's basis in the old CONELRAD system that was developed when the American people needed to be alerted to inbound bombers. Frankly, there really isn't anything these days where an advanced nationwide warning would do any good.
    4) Even if there isn't likely to ever be a nationwide alert, the system can be used for regional alerts for things like tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, and any number of things that can affect you where advanced warning could save lives.
    5) This isn't a system that was invented with this administration. As mentioned, it's an iterative development that has occurred over more than 60 years. Even the "new" Wireless Emergency Alert system was first implemented back in 2012, and development of the system began years prior.

Yeesh. Sorry, had to get that out there, because of the sheer number of people that seem to think that this is some spontaneously invented nationwide mandatory Twitter feed from the President. Ugh.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Puppy76, dfreybur, Megamind and 2 others like this.
  10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, yeah, and the test will be on October 3 now, not September 20.

mattack likes this.
  11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Regional? I thought the system was all or none. IOW, everyone gets it if it's used. Didn't realize it could be regional in nature.

How would they even know where you are? If they use cell tower location, that sounds like a massive challenge to send an alert to just some towers (unless the infrastructure already exists).

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't speak of OTA, but I get a weekly regional (counties) EAS test, a monthly state test, and this is the second national test I remember. They seem to happen before prime time but no specific day.

One example: National EAS Tests

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sure. They already use it for things like tornado warnings and such. From the FAQ:

14. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Not where I live.

15. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If he gets re-elected, I'm guessing that this system will be tied directly into his Twitter feed.

16. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    So, how will this work? Will every cellphone in the country blare at us at the same time?? :eek:

17. danm628

danm628 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 14, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    They will all go off within a short period of time. Generally all of the phones on a single mobile operator in a given area will go off at the same time. There may be slight time differences between the different mobile operators though. (In theory there shouldn't be an operator to operator time delta. In practice...)

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I didn't word my question well. I understand the national EAS can't be turned off. However, I have everything else turned off, including regional, amber, etc.

Are y'all saying the regional will be like national, impossible to defeat? Or just that there can and will be regional alerts, but they can be turned off?