National Geographic HD - What Gives?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by boltjames, Mar 20, 2007.

1. boltjames

boltjames New Member

Dec 20, 2002

Advertisements

It was there, now it's gone. Any reason? My HR10 was looking forward to it :(

BJ

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The National Geographic channel that "was" there, was just a Sneak Peak.

The Sneak Peak programs where moved to the special event HD channels (upper 90's).
    If any are still available (haven't checked), you will find them listed by title: NGC

NGHDC will not be full time until the new SATs are launched later this year.
    The network will also be MPEG4 when it goes 24/7

3. Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...
    Is it official that it won't be available to HDtivo's?

4. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Official.... No... it has not been official stated that the new HD channels will be MPEG-4 and/or broadcasted from one of the two new sats.

Based on the information I have been told... It will be MPEG-4 and broadcasted on one of the KA SATs, both of which would make it not available to the HR10-250.

5. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO

Advertisements

I can see them, but cannot select record.
    If they don't offer it to me, I'm going to freak.

6. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    FWIW I tried recording one of the sneak peaks, and it recorded nothing.

7. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I recorded two of the programs when it was on cahnnel 77 with an HR20. Also I set it to record last night on channel 98 but I haven't checked it yet.

8. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I feel so sorry for you guys all jones'ing for just a sneak peak at another HD channel...trying to record it with your HD-TIVOs. Such a pitiful image of an avid Tivo fan, an early-adopter, who paid a premimum for that revolutionary HR10-250 in hopes that endless HD content would soon follow.... The fan is standing in front of his HDTV, gazing at the guide, clicking record, but nothing happens..he wimpers. He peruses the limited HD content that is offered, which doesn't take long, so he turns his gaze outward to a nearby window, across the suburban wasteland of his neighborhood, wondering what other HD content some other lucky people might be watching at that very moment.

A sad image indeed.

Keep the faith though...your 150 channels are coming. Emitt Brown wouldn't lie to you. As soon as the channels come into existance and 2 satellites can be launched into outer-space and activated. It won't be long. Satellites and new tv stations are created every day, right? They did say you would have them this year...So only 9 months to go, tops. You could go have a baby to pass the time while you are waiting.... I'm sure they won't be late. D* always delivers what they say they will within the time frame they promise.

-h

9. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Harley - At least for your first paragraph...
    I spent the $1,000 on my HR10-250.... And honestly... one of the better purchases I have made..

IMHO... I got my $1k worth out of the HR10-250... and then a lot more.
    For nearly 3 years... I have been enjoying countess hours of HD programming... TimeShifted.

While I no longer have my HR10-250... It WAS one of the first HD-DVR's (arguable the first... even though there where a couple of ATSC only ones)...

As for your 2nd paragraph.... call me in 6 months... .as point of clarification, Emitt Brown stated "capacity" for 150.

10. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Dissapointed that the "Sneak Preview" for NG HD doesn't have Galapagos -- looks great in SD, would have loved to have seen it in HD.

11. pmturcotte

pmturcotte New Member

May 7, 2001
    NH native...
    Agree 1000%. When I first got my HR10-250 I thought it was the greatest thing ever and still do. When I compare the two glaring "issues" in my mind with the HR20 (no DLB and a completely arbitrary 50 series link limit) I can honestly say I have no interest in switching. Maybe in a year when the box is more stable, but I get my networks OTA HD with perfect reception and am in no rush to get WealthTVHD or HBO56HD or ESPN17HD. Other than offering me NESN HD there is nothing more I am really dying for from a programming standpoint.

And yes, the commercials now clearly say they will have "capacity" for 150 new channels but no announcements on anything close to that. If they launch 1 new channel but have the capacity for 150 they will have lived up to what they advertised.

12. xmenxmenxmen

xmenxmenxmen New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    At least some of u guys only paid 1000. In order for me to get mine and not paid that much (not as rich as some of U), I a nice guys (can you say ebay) paid a portion of it. Mine end up being 650 or so, so one can pretty much guess what the nice guy paid for his.

13. bsandy

bsandy New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I got a verbal promise from DTV, that they wouldn't broadcast anything the my HR10-250 wouldn't recieve, other than local channels.

. . . Bud

14. thumperxr69

thumperxr69 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Central IL

Wishful thinking... :rolleyes: I am sitting here with an HR-10 also. I am still in no hurry. Still so many OTA things to watch....

T

15. jhhyde

jhhyde Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Sammamish, WA
    I have been able to successfully record four of these sneak peeks so far. Sneak peeks 5 and 6 last week. Peeks 7 and 8 are currently scheduled for multiple times over the next week and they are the first two episodes of Galapagos. Check all your channels, they have moved these peeks to channels 95 and 98 (I think these are the ones, I'm at work right now). I'm just hoping they sneek peek the third episode.

16. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Then you have a verbal promise, that is going to be broken.

Your HR10-250 can not receive any of the broadcasts from the 99 and 103 SAT.
    So even if they where in MPEG-2... Your HR10-250 won't even be able to tune then in...

So Unless something changes in the next three months, and they plan to not broadcast in the KA spectrum, and they move those two new sats to the 101/110/119 slots.... And you actually probably better odds of winning the lottery then that happening....

Your HR10-250 will not be able to access any of the content on those two birds.
    Which is going to be the new HD content.

There maybe be 1 tops 2 channels that come on the others, but those would be a limited time thing anyway... As DirecTV has stated they are going to convert all their HD content to MPEG-4.

17. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

I got the 7 & 8 TiVoed from last night/this morning. Skimmed over to make sure I didn't have a blank recording and from what I saw looked great! That and Planet Earth are keeping me entertained for now, inbetween basketball games.

18. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    man, how did I miss that.

19. louiss3000

louiss3000 New Member

Aug 4, 2003

OK, enough is enough. If you hate D* so much, why are you still hanging around? To gloat that you got Acme Cable, and now you're better than the rest of us? Did I miss something? Go away...... And take the rest of your D8 haters with you. In my experience, D* has lived up to what it promised me. I could complain about HD Lite, but I don't like splitting hairs. I could complain about flawed software, but I never saw it. An occasional problem sure, but I have other things to cry about. I have 5 TiVo! (yes that's how it's spelled) units running, 1 HR10-250, and 4 HDVR2s, all working just fine. COmcast cannot touch what I have, for what I pay D*. That said, I reiterate, go away..........

20. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Thanks for the update! Recordings set (it's on both 95 and 98 -- I actually set both to record just in case)...