NASCAR HotPass on HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CurtE, Feb 21, 2007.

1. CurtE

CurtE New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    SC

Advertisements

Did anyone have problems with HotPass on their HR10-250?

D* NASCAR HotPass was free for the Daytona 500. I received the free preview on my non-HD receivers on the designated channels (i think they're 794-799); however, when I tried the same channels on my HR10-250, I got nothing...just a blank screen...no message. The guide info showed that I was on the HotPass channels - the only odd info was the start time was shown as 6:15PM; whereas, on the other receivers the start time was 3:29PM.

2. jcoulter

jcoulter New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Worked ok for me on my 10-250.
    I won't be paying for it until they take those commercial breaks out. I don't know if the Sunday ticket or any of the other packages are the same way. But I want wall to wall coverage..no breaks

3. georgemoe

georgemoe TiVo Army Grunt

Nov 7, 2001
    Central...
    Fine on mine but commercials or no, it is not worth $100.

4. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    was there ok on mine for the race sunday.
    no HD and it is just better to watch the race in full screen HD. maybe next year they go hd but it is not worht it now. ymmv........

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000

Advertisements

You should be able to get them on the HR10 but you won't be able to access the Interactive features unless you have a Interactive capable receiver.

6. GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Round Hill, VA
    Ok on my HR10-250 for me, but definitely not worth the $100.

Commercials - I don't think so. OK, so you split the screen and had a TINY live shot in the background -Big deal, I couldn't make out the cars even on a 50" screen.

One the HR10-250 you don't get the interactive features, so for instance you only get the lackey announcer audio, or Fox audio.

And three camera shots at once? I only saw that on rare occasions.

All that, plus it's not in HD and you're likely to get Stewart, Gordon, Earnhardt and Johnson as four of the five choices just about every week- not great if you don't care for them.

IMHO, a good idea implemented poorly.

7. CurtE

CurtE New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    SC
    Thanks to everyone for their response...sounds like my problem must have just been a fluke?

I agree - not worth the $.

8. krs7272

krs7272 New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    clawson,mi
    Same here but with almost all the races now in HD I have no real want to watch Hot Pass.

9. BricktownBoy

BricktownBoy New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I liked it actually.

On the commercials complaint, at least with HotPass you could still see the race in the lower left hand corner of the screen (but you still have to listen to the commerical audio). That is certainly better than on the national broadcast when the commercial takes up the whole screen. I thought that I heard that it may be in HD in '08?

10. jimmymiko

jimmymiko Just another day!

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    Yep me too. A real NASCAR fan can appreciate HotPass HD or not. :up:
    Worth the $80 to me for a full season of HotPass.

11. Zooropa

Zooropa New Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I too checked out the HotPass channels but I was not impressed. It seems like to much to be switching back and forth between the FOX HD broadcast and the Hot Pass channels. Why would I want to see three extremely small PIP windows in SD instead of one full screen HD picture.

I enjoyed the scanner feed but a better solution is to use NASCAR.com's Track Pass and have the ability to go between all of the drivers. If you have ever been to an actual race and used a scanner you will find that the drivers just don't say that much during the course of the race. At races I find myself scanning through all of the drivers and focusing in on my favorites around cautions and pit windows.

12. jfelbab

jfelbab WineBoZo

Jan 18, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    I can't imagine anyone with hi-def wanting to pay $100 to watch this sd source.

13. GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Round Hill, VA
    Another option: Sirius has 10 driver audio channels on race days.

14. krs7272

krs7272 New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    clawson,mi
    A real NASCAR fan is not the issue. Believe me I attended 6 NASCAR weekends last year so I think I qualify as an above average fan. But HotPass is a good idea I just dont think its there yet.

The fact of weather its in HD to me matters but not as much as the actual coverage given on the HotPass channels. The announcers they have on those channels seem as though they were the only people in the garage D* could find not doing anything on Sun. They were horrible. And the one good point of the Crew audio was so low you couldn't even hear it. Not to mention will these transmissions be edited for explicit language? And in car view is alright but I don't want to watch the whole race through someones windshield.

Unfortunately I'm sure HotPass will die out just as the trendiness of NASCAR seems to have died down in recent years to the average trend followers and NASCAR will once again scramble to to get the Jones' interested for a few of there dollars while leaving the true fans corralled into the Circus of NASCARS latest scheme to defeat Football in the ratings.

15. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Hey, I'm a REAL NASCAR fan and I thought it was a total waste of bandwidth! I've been to over 200 races live, so I think I qualify as a real fan.

The silly three way split and the small pictures reduced my 55 inch to almost unwatchable. Not to mention the audio and larger screen when Fox went to commericals. Like others have said, why switch away from HD for this crap?

I suppose it's worth the money if you are only a fan of a couple drivers (I'm sure most 8 fans will not be able to live without seeing his every move), but if you're a just a fan of racing, you want to see more than just a couple of drivers. Also, the clear bias of the announcers will just nauseating. And, yes, they were told by the producer Chris Long to be biased (heard him discuss this on XM).

I had 16 people at my house for a Daytona party and the consensus was that it wasn't even worth the money when it was free. :thumbsdown:

Cheryl

16. jimmymiko

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    Must be a #48 fan because they always cover the top 10 cars on the networks. This just adds a new dimension to racing. I found it much more interesting than watching just the network feeds. I did jump between channels during the race and found myself at the end of the race watching the network feed myself. Anybody that goes to 200 races knows that the cost of Hotpass is less than the price of one live race ticket where if you don't have a jumbo tron in front of you all you see is the #8 on the backs of the idiots standing in front of you. :)

17. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    heh. I figured it was a 24 fan that was disappointed in where that pretty boy finished. ;)

18. jfelbab

jfelbab WineBoZo

Jan 18, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    Speaking of which, I thought he finished 10th in Daytona and is being shown as 8th in point standings. How'd that happen? Was it because of the penalties of Kane and Sadler?

Anyhow I see he is on the pole for this weeks race, and he seems to be using Michael Waltrip's hair stylist.

19. krs7272

krs7272 New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    clawson,mi
    I don't know what tracks your attending but myself personally besides the Brickyard thats the only track I attend that a jumbo-tron is required to see the entire track.
    But hey the view from my seat ain't half bad either
    [​IMG]

20. jimmymiko

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    Watkins Glenn , Sonoma , Pocono if you aren't at the top of the grand stand...