Narcos S01E10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by teknikel, Sep 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sep 2, 2015 #1 of 13
    teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    I really dislike season threads and was recently burned in Humans. And since I've binged watched and there is no thread since this went up on Netflix 5 days ago, I'm doing this...

Just some thoughts.

This episode was the weakest of them all but this was a compelling first season. It wasn't the best TV I've ever seen, but it was really well done.

I really like how much Spanish was spoken. It maintained the realsim. Though I don't understand why Murphy was sent to Colombia without knowing a bit of Spanish. You'd think he'd know some especially after working in Miami.

I liked the style. It was almost a documentary. I certainly learned a lot through the narration.

The narration would have seemed overdone in most series but was welcome because of the information it filled in. Obviously, this isn't all fact (they say so in the beginning of every episode). Definitely, names have been changed (see Virginia Vallejo for the reporter Valeria).

The drama and action is good too, but not great. Escobar goes back and forth from sympathetic to pure villain and finally pure villain. I guess that's good. I miss the straight forward Gustavo. I think this is one of the reasons why the last few episodes were not as strong.

I do like how Wagner Moura played Escobar. His pensive looks are great at making wonder what he is thinking.

Watching the change in Murphy was unsettling, too. Even though they showed it to us in the first episode. He told us he did a bad thing but the story getting there is pretty good. But when he told Connie, "This is home," that was a final straw for me.

And, did Pena really give those pics to Pacho/Cali? DAMN!

Carillo is very close. I guess we can forgive him except, as I said I liked Gustavo. He told it like it was.

This makes Gaviria/Sandoval our strongest heroes so far. And so far, they have lived up to it. Was glad Sandoval made it out of the prison.

The weakest part was the family stuff for almost everyone. Steve & Connie? Ehh. Pablo & Tata? Nope. The strongest family connection was with the reporter and the former president and his wife. But even that was not done well.

I'm looking forward to another season. I believe the 2nd may be the last with what I know about the Escobar timeline. Of course, it could easily continue with the Cali Cartel or go back to Miami. But, without Escobar, it will be very different. And with the reaction on here, I am starting to think this may be the one and only season.

PS - A Latino drug script? Let's get Luis Guzman.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it was excellent although I thought the Murphy character was a weak link. It didn't make much sense for a field agent to not know Spanish in Columbia. I also had a hard time figuring out what the DEA actually did in Columbia.

I initially tried watching the first episode after having a couple of beers. After seeing so many subtitles in the first ten minutes I gave up and tried again a couple of days later. Took me about four days total to get through all ten episodes. I'd say about 75% of the dialog was in Spanish.

I thought they'd tell the whole Pablo story from start to finish in these 10 episodes. I'm not disappointed they didn't.

3. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    BUMP

I thought it ended strangely, but then... renewed for a second season. That explains it. :)

Brad

4. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    I was hoping it would conclude in one season and then continue with a new story in season 2, like Fargo or true detective.

5. Nov 3, 2015 #5 of 13
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    I'm looking forward to the second season since we lived in Colombia during the time that Escobar was on the run after escaping. I enjoyed the first season and though they did a great job with the look and feel being very Colombian.

6. Nov 3, 2015 #6 of 13
    jebbbz

jebbbz Member

Sep 7, 2007
    35th and...
    Before I watched Narcos I watched the "original" ... 74 episodes of "Pablo Escobar, el Patron del Mal." It was, uh, an experience. I recognized three actors appearing in Narcos, too. The Pablo in the telenovela character looked more like the real Pablo but Narcos moved along much better. I wondered how Narcos was going to wrap things up in only an episode or two. They didn't, that's how. Looking forward to season 2 but take a gander at the long-form version if you are curious about the vast stylistic differences.

7. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Just finished binge watching the past few days and I really enjoyed it. I especially liked how they interspersed real-life videos and photos into the dramatic presentation almost seamlessly. Having the native Colombian characters speak almost exclusively in Spanish when alone with each other is also a very nice touch. The actor who plays Escobar does a good job of portraying a man of complex emotions and motivations. I had no idea that Escobar had political aspirations. Looking forward to the next season.

8. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    is this the only thread? i can't find an episode guide anywhere...

question:

from the end of ep 7 (i believe), when pablo says he's going to build his jail.. to the beginning of ep 8, when gustavo and pablo are running through the woods half naked..

what the heck was that? i was thinking it was a flash forward, but then i didn't see anything to confirm it. i'm thinking it was some kind of raid and they had to run from the search bloc; and then gustavo died... then they didn't explain the opening scene... at least that i saw... i am now hoping it's a time jump thing... seeing as how they finally caught up to the opening scene. but now gustavo is in the past... i don't get it.

please help explain.

i'm halfway through ep 9.

9. bruinfan

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    i found ep guide at ew.com... i'll read them and see if the answer is there

10. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC

It's been two weeks since I've seen the episodes so my memory is hazy, but I believe the scene at the beginning of episode 8 with them running through the woods is meant to show them scouting the land in preparation for building the "jail."

11. bruinfan

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    they are obviously running from somebody... half naked, like they were awoken. they ran to a stash of guns and clothes... and the police were tracking their sat phone, and they found it tied to a mule.. so they got away.

my problem was: there was no setup for that... they went from looking at the location for the jail, to next ep running in the woods. and they never alluded to it again

after reading the ep recap:
    apparently, it was to show that pablo had to deal with constant heat from the police, and keep escaping... which was setting up the surrender. i thought that was poor execution. i kept thinking i skipped an ep or skipped 5 important minutes.

12. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I felt like I missed something as well. I kept waiting for an explanation but I never saw it.

13. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    Another thing that I'm not sure about. Did Escobar's son never age? He seemed to stay the same age throughout the season which I believe spanned over 10 years.