Nancy Drew by the CW

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by KDeFlane, Oct 14, 2019.

1. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    no thread started yet? I'll assume this means there won't be enough interest in splitting out episodes.

I wanted a Scooby-Doo style case-of-the-week format, but this looks to be setting up a full-season mystery. Make that mysteries plural, as we need to uncover the town's ghost story and whatever Nancy's parents were up to decades earlier. Are we sure this isn't a spin-off from Twin Peaks?

I am intrigued by the vast number of secrets and layers and hidden backstories and oh my, get me a pack of index cards and some yarn for my corkboard of connections!

My viewing mate was more distracted by the fact that the waitress uniforms didn't match. He kept calling them Power Ranger colors, but I'm seeing Star Trek ranks in the palette.

2. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I'm done with it...

3. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Waiting for TiVo to collect 3 episodes first. I like to binge watch 2-3 episodes of a new show the decide to keep recording or delete from the to do list.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I barely made it through the first. But I almost always give a show a second episode, due to the current practice of not having an actual pilot.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I watched the first episode and thought it was just OK. Then I looked at the lineup of shows I'm already recording and realized I just don't have time for it. It was the first show that I cut from my recording schedule this fall.

6. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I wanted to like it, but it's the Riverdale version of Nancy Drew.

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The main character is very unlikable...

rharmelink likes this.
  8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She's kind of like the comic book character in the recent series...although she's better written there. Driven to the point of unwittingly being a jerk to the people around her. (And less CW teen drama!)

9. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    They don't do pilots anymore?

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    A pilot used to be a sample episode, and if the network bought it to series, they would give the producers notes for changes. The producers would then either reshoot the pilot, or just start fresh with a new first episode (there's a famous Buffy pilot that is radically different from what ended up airing; also see Big Bang Theory, which had a different female lead and somewhat different characterizations for the others).

Nowadays, the unaltered "pilot" almost always ends up being the first episode, and any changes required by the network don't show up until later (including, often, recastings...e.g., Constantine, where the female lead was recast, but the original actress appeared in the first episode).

gweempose likes this.
  11. the928guy

the928guy Un-mutual

Sep 29, 2002
    North GA
    I thought it was a lot like Veronica Mars ... except it wasn't clever or witty or funny, and I didn't like any of the characters.

eddyj, MikeCC, stellie93 and 2 others like this.
  12. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    That Nancy Drew... she sure is hot!

7thton likes this.
  13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    That is exactly why we may not make it from Ep 2 to Ep 3. we used to watch Riverdale but it got a little long in the tooth for us. Liked the first ep a lot butwe both found ourselves checking facebook more often in ep 2.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    i've only watched the first ep, but I actually thought it was much BETTER than Riverdale, which I didn't keep watching.

It was definitely in the same 'spirit', and was slightly shocking to hear her doing it very soon in the premiere.. but still, it was an entertaining updated mystery show.

I wish it were on Hulu (without 'live channels') or something else I already pay for. So I MAY keep recording it for a while, but maybe will give up and catch up some eon (yeah right).

15. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    If you can wait, CW shows normally show up on Netflix a week their season finale.

16. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Not this one. The new CW shows this season didn’t get that deal. CW shopped them separately. This one’s going to CBSAA after the season. Batwoman & Katy Keene are going to HBO MAX. (AFAIK, all of the older CW shows are staying with Netflix)

verdugan and mattack like this.
  17. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Oh awesome. So now I can just kill my OP. I have enough other shows I like, since I _know_ I will be able to catch this there.

Oh and I guess I didn't post the other thing I thought of.. (maybe I did in some other thread as a tangent).

I know I'm old...

But it's surprising to see who in my head is still "the young very popular TV actor of the day" now playing a parent!!! He was the young teenager on Party of Five!! (and still should play Tom Cruise in a biography.)

stellie93 likes this.
  19. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Couldn't make it to the end of Episode 1.

20. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I try too, but this one may not make it, after struggling through the first episode.