Name that Tune - recorded in Australia!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Jan 7, 2021 #1 of 44
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I was originally wondering if this Name that Tune was on the shelf for a long time, and was pre-COVID or what..

but at/near the very end of the credits, it said something like "Taped in Australia" and said that they followed all health protocols. So they were able to have a full audience and such there.

Also, did Randy Jackson spend all of his American Idol money and is hurting for cash? ok, this is probably an 'easy' job, but it still sort of seems like a step down.

2. Jan 7, 2021 #2 of 44
    lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Randy's also a member of Journey again; they're working on a new album.

They just taped NTT in November - he might still have jetlag at this moment!

3. Jan 7, 2021 #3 of 44
    Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Active Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Hated all the fake audience shots.

4. Jan 7, 2021 #4 of 44
    MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I liked the old version of this show, but this one just seemed to be trying too hard. I'll give it one more try because I'm a game show junkie.

Randy was so thin that I thought he looked unhealthy.

5. Jan 8, 2021 #5 of 44
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

Never forget that they wanted to produce this show with a real audience and full band so badly that they were willing to fly Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson to Australia (and have them quarantine for 14 days) and search for American expatriates to be the contestants, rather than wait for the U.S. to get its act together.

6. Jan 8, 2021 #6 of 44
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I forgot this was on. I've always liked the earlier iterations but not sure if I'll like this one. I'll have to watch next week.

7. Jan 8, 2021 #7 of 44
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Like so many other game shows, too much talking, too little game-showing, and ep 1 clearly hadn't quite found it's rhythm yet. But I still enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for all name-that-tune likes shows (the original name that tune, singing bee, beat shazam, etc...)

8. Jan 8, 2021 #8 of 44
    snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Suggested spinoff: "Name That Food"

9. Jan 8, 2021 #9 of 44
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I did pretty good being the old fogy I am
    I didn't know a few of the newer songs ( LOL anything released last 15 years)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Jane was interviewed on NPR this morning and she said one of the reasons she took the job was to be able to perform for a LIVE audience. She never once said there was no audience.

She also said they had to quarantine everyone who participated in a hotel and no one was given a key. You can't leave, so you don't need to get back in, she was told. And she said there were bars on the windows. Sounds dangerous.

mattack likes this.
  11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Note that "you can't leave a hotel (or, at least, the "hotel grounds") until your quarantine period is over" is in most of California as well - certainly in Los Angeles, which may have played a part in the Rose Bowl being played in Texas.

As for the crowd, it came across to me as if the first half was not done in front of a live audience (the "fake audience" shots were more obvious), but the second half was. The fact that Bid A Note was changed from four tunes to three makes me think that a considerable amount of time passed between when they were played.

12. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    My reference to the bars being dangerous was to an emergency like a fire.
    That works. But you'd think she would have said something.

13. Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Active Member

Apr 26, 2003
    When I meant "fake" more like all the reaction, crowd dancing shots, etc were done pre-show, when they have the warmup guy out there. "hey everyone lets practice our ooooohhh face", have the band warm up, and have everyone dance. Most looked prerecorded and inserted.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Basically what The Masked Singer does (especially now that the entire audience is fake on that show).

15. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    That makes sense.

16. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I presume he had gastric bypass? IIRC it was in the news a while ago. (Penn Jillette has also looked very different in recent years but that was due to eating better.)

So do you mean the game isn't played the same way as the original? I didn't remember enough details.. it seemed familiar at least.

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not sure why you're so against this. At least it means new shows.

18. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    beat shazam was dumb, I think I lasted one ep, kept recording it for a while, realized I wasn't going to actually watch it and nuked them.. even skimming through the non-game parts, it just seemed SO padded.

19. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I googled.. and you're correct. He had bypass surgery and then found out he had type-2 diabetes and has been eating healthier since then.

I think the game is probably pretty much the same (I don't remember the specifics on the first one either). I guess I meant the host was being too much of a cheerleader and phony energy.

20. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    It got better. But even so, yes, it was padded and full of filler and fake reactions. It absolutely required a Tivo to watch, no way I could watch it live.