n11 Connection interrupted

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tlc, May 23, 2011.

1. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002

Advertisements

I have two Tivo HDs on a fully wired network. Nothing has changed in my home network and the Tivos have worked well for years. But lately I can't get past the N11 Connection Interrupted error.

I first saw this a few weeks ago. After hitting "Try connecting again now" a few times, I got lucky and it went through. Later the problem showed up again and some combination of reboots got it to go through.

Now I've rebooted everything, but it won't go through. One Tivo is out of data, the other will be soon. The Tivo's network status and diagnostics are fine, though. It takes several minutes for the connection to fail, well into the Downloading phase.

We're on FIOS, btw. I understand my router settings and they're fine. No port forwarding necessary with UPNP and it wouldn't help with two tivos anyway.

Traceroute and pings to mind.tivo.com look good.

Ideas?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Just your standard troubleshooting techniques.

Assuming you are using an ethernet connection.

Reboot the router. Actually, turn it off, count to 15, then turn it back on. Let it boot all the way back up, so you get the green internet connection light. Go back to the tivo and have it get a new IP address. I've actually told the Tivo to use the Phone instead, then switched back to the network. This seems to reset something in the software.

Reboot the TiVo. Disconnect power, count to 30, reconnect power. Again, have the Tivo reacquire an IP address. Test the connection.

If using wired ethernet, use a different cable. Plug the cable into a different port on the router. If wireless, start the TiVo with the USB adapter disconnected. After the TiVo has fully booted up, connect the Wireless USB adapter and have the TiVo reacquire the IP address again.

Disconnect every cable, and reconnect them. Not just the network, but everything. Sometimes a connection that looks good had become bad over time. This the old "jiggle the handle" trick.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck.

robomeister

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I would also try downloading a few recordings from the TiVo to your computer. If the problem is somewhere in your home network there's no way it's going to be able to handle that. If you can download shows successfully the problem may be in the FIOS router or network.

4. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    It's all cleared up now.

For the record, other networking to the tivo worked (transfers) and even the shorter test connections. It just didn't like the long data downloads. Also, I'd already rebooted everything.

What did finally work was suggested in another thread. I reset my router (FIOS actiontec) back to it's default settings. I didn't want to do this, because I'd examined my routers settings carefully. But when nothing else worked, it did.

Thanks for reading.

5. clunker

clunker New Member

May 27, 2011

Advertisements

Had the same issue, firmware "upgrade" fixed it. I went to the firmware page in the router console, it said the firmware was up to date but I clicked "Force upgrade" and it downloaded and installed the firmware (probably the same version I had already?). But after that the connection to Tivo service worked. I'll repost in a few days with an update on whether it keeps working.

6. clunker

clunker New Member

May 27, 2011
    Update on 5/29: Still working fine, my Tivo connected several times on its own.