"Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet" on Apple TV+ | Season One thread | *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TAsunder, Feb 11, 2020.

1. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Here's a new comedy from and starring Rob McElhenney of It's Always Sunny Fame. It's a workplace comedy about a video game studio.

I enjoyed the first episode. It felt like a pleasant mix of Silicon Valley's nerdiness with It's Always Sunny's irreverence.

Anyone else watching?

2. jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've seen all the episodes now. On the whole I enjoyed it. Then again I used to be a big player of online rpgs like their company makes.

3. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I’m up to ep 3. Liking it so far, with ep 3 being the strongest and funniest of the first 3. “Dinner party!”

4. SoupMan

SoupMan Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2001
    MD
    Watched it over the weekend. I found myself going back and watching another episode anytime I had a free half hour, so I guess that means I enjoyed it. :)

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was a bit baffled by the fifth episode (the one set in the 90s with the Stumptown bartender)...does that end up having anything to do with anything, or is it just a random side-trip? (I'm up to 6 now.)

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    So, I watched the first episode. I'm not a gamer. Everything I know about MMORPG comes from the South Park about The End Of The World..... of Warcraft

I gotta say, I really liked it. The shovel.. and of course, Pootie Shoe. I assume he is supposed to be PewDiePie. Gonna keep watching. Show seems fun.

jasrub likes this.
  7. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Yes, it ties in at the end.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Barely, though (the bit at the end could just as well have been done without 1x05)...it was a very strange episode!

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

9. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    For any Always Sunny fans we finally found Carol in HR

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    OK, i actually cried from laughing during the last episode...
    ...from the implementation of "Blood Ocean"

11. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    That was a play on the World Of Warcraft Corrupted Blood incident.

Video explaining it.

12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I probably shouldn't have started watching this, because I'm in the middle of a few other shows I really need to finish. But I watched the first episode anyway and enjoyed it. I'm in.

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I almost gave up on this series then I watched episode 5. It brought me back and I wished the entire series was based on this episode.

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm moving slowly. Watched episode three, "Dinner Party", where Nazis invade the game, this weekend. That was pretty funny.

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Finished this up last night.. I really did like this show. Will be fun to see season two.. Will they ammend the name a bit?

"Mythic Quest:Blood Ocean"

16. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    This is a fun show. I've watched episodes 5-7 this weekend.

5 was the flashback one, and it was as good as advertised. Funny, dramatic and heartfelt. Jake Johnson was his usual eminently watchable self and Cristin Miliotti continues to be criminally good. I think she can do anything. That was really good TV.

6 was the one where someone takes control of the Masked Man and Poppy interviews for another job, while distracting Ian with the new tall guy. This was more straightforwardly funny but all the characters had something to do, and the show has really figured out who all of them are at this point. So everybody got a comedic moment. I liked it as much for the show really starting to come together as anything else.

7 was the epic battle between Ian and the person who had hacked the game. I probably should have seen the reveal of who it was coming, but I didn't think about it much and so enjoyed the surprise. The "we found your IP address and activated your camera" counterhack was pretty weak -- with Apple and Ubisoft advising the show, I might have expected something with a bit more verisimilitude, b ut then it wasn't the point. The reveal was, and it worked. Fun and actually kind of exciting episode. I really like the Poppy character.

Speaking of Apple, it's interesting that they are letting Razer computers be so prominently featured. They can't plausibly show MacBook Pros being the systems of choice here so I get it, but still unexpected that they aren't at least obfuscating the competing brand.

17. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Finished. Fun show. I knew they weren't going to be able to stand ending the finale on that upbeat note, so the credit cookie scene was no surprise. But I guess it was progress for Ian to have at least thought he could make it work (Poppy, too). And what a great way to call back to the flashback episode, with Ian showing Poppy the Doc + Beans carving in the pillar. That was nifty.

Backing up an episode, just like I probably should have guessed the Masked Man would be Pootie, of course Pootie turns out to be Ian's son and I probably should have seen that coming, too. I mean, they only set it up blatantly earlier on, when CW and Ian were trying to script out who the masked man is, and CW got on a big Star Wars analogy about fathers and sons. The show is actually pretty cleverly written and constructed.

Good stuff overall. Happy there is a season two to look forward to.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Poppy really shines in this show, as do the entire cast. Very well written, and we gotta' love the cut scenes!