Mythbusters: Superhero Special

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Aug 30, 2007.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Anybody else find it ironic that the TiVo description talked about them doing myths relating to Marvel Superheroes, but they spent almost the entire episode talking about Batman?

I would have liked to see some small scale testing on the Batmobile going around a corner one--yeah, it failed because they didn't have a strong enough cable to use. But they were willing to say that the rappelling part of the grapple gun was plausable, because Batman would have access to a smaller battery pack. I'd bet that Batman has access to stronger cable as well.

2. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Odd episode but still entertaining with the gadgets. Superhero abiliities are not really myths anyways. I do think I have seen a real-life situation that makes the "ring impression" possible. The experiments don't seem to be as fully carried out now either. 1-small scale test, 2-experiment under normal conditions, 3-what would it take to make it happen. They seem to start and stop on step #2.

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The ring experiment seemed to be particularly poorly done.

First off, they went straight from 'heavy weight boxer' to 'skull crusher' strength. I'm not surprised they didn't leave an identifiable mark when the skull cracked. But that hardly shows that there isn't some intermediate force hard enough to make a permanent mark on skin held in place by a non-broken skull.

Second, on the high speed, it didn't look like the ring was hitting the skull squarely. It looks like the bottom edge was hitting first, knocking the skull back and down. The face of the ring didn't appear to fully connect. That was why they kept getting cuts instead of imprints.

Finally, they were looking for simply a deep imprint. (Which admittedly matches to comic they kept showing), but that is somewhat different from a permanent scar in that shape. You could get the scar by having a sharp ring where the design was cut fairly deeply into soft flesh like the cheeks. It would bleed pretty well initially, but if the cuts were deep enough you'd get an outline scar when it healed.

Watching them try to do the grapple assisted turn was find of fun though.

4. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    It seemed atypical that Jamie didn't think "How do I get down?" before he was up in the rafters. I slow-mo'd his cutting the cord a few times to see where the knife went, I'd thought the first time that he'd nicked the safety rope with it.

I was impressed that Adam got the nail gun to fire so often when it struck the wall. There's something that really needs a "don't try this at home" sign. I did wonder if the nail would have supported his weight even when it was used normally. The grapping hook gun must have been a loaner, or else they could have rigged up a wall-penetrating projectile to it.

Watching the cartoon version of superhero Jamie and Adam it took about 2 seconds to imagine a different cartoon duo. :)

5. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I liked this episode, but I too agree that the ring thing wasn't handled well at all. It seems like skin wrapped over a skeleton isn't enough to test that. And I also noticed that the ring wasn't ever hitting straight on.

6. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    It seems like punching a pig carcass would be the closest they would get--but even that wouldn't show proper bruising that would be associated with a hit like that.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I think what it would take to make the ring thing happen would be heat (as in a branding iron), not any amount of pressure. (Bruising is not scarring.)

8. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    So they proved they could grapple the structure to do the turn. They should have altered the test to be able to double or triple up the cable and statically connect the Mythmobile and the structure to see if would swing the car around.

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Maybe by erecting a structure far enough away from buildings that they can do complete circles around it. (Not too many, since they'd be wrapping the cable around it as they went)

Then, with the cable basically taunt, slowly accelerate the car from 0 until you get scared, use up too much cable, or it breaks.

What seemed to be messing them up with the experiment they did was the initial yank as the cable snapped taunt. The peak load was much higher than the static load would have been, if the cable had survived the initial strain.

(Of course the other way to approach this is to modify the cable release system. Make the last bit of cable so it has a fair bit of resistance to deploying. That would act a bit like a 1 time shock absorber and spread out that first strain and give the cable a chance to survive.)

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah but any way you look at it, that initial jolt still has to be part of the test.

BTW, how hot is it that Kari can say "adamantium"?

11. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    I just think it's cool that she's using some of her art skills again. Now where can I get me one of those rings?

12. Raimi

Raimi New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    I enjoyed this episode much more than the last one. Even when the show's bad it's still pretty good. :)

13. brianp6621

brianp6621 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 22, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    I thought the ring punch myth was poorly done as well. I really think living human (or other animal) skin would be much more prone to accepting an impression than dead skin. The water content in living tissue should make it much more likely to accept/retain an impression or the blood content would allow for bruising. What they had was essentially a piece of rubbery leather. And you can actually stamp leather but it has to be wet first.