Mythbusters special TONIGHT 11/9 (SP won't catch it)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dbranco, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1 of 14
    dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    The special is called "Mythbusters Dirty Dozen".

Don't producers (or whoever names these shows) know it's against their interests when rename recurring shows like this (and Survivor, and Top Chef, and Amazing Race)? Folks with season passes who don't read these forums may miss the episode/show because of it. And that means less viewership. Sigh...

Caught this change in the "Season Pass Alerts Forum" --

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478471

2. Nov 9, 2011 #2 of 14
    nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I went to Tivo.com to set the recording. When I clicked on 1click record, it went to an error page. But apparently it did send the request to my tivo because I got a confirmation email.

3. Nov 9, 2011 #3 of 14
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Not that we wanna hear it, but my UVerse DVR saw it and will record it as a Mythbusters episode.

Yes. TiVo can improve some algorithms.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #4 of 14
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    My DirecTV DVR is recording it as a standard Mythbusters episode. The SP Alert thing said it is called Location, Location, Location and my DVR is recording that tonight.

I see talk in Alerts of Dirty Dozen, but my DirecTV searches find nothing for that. Other than the actual show Dirty Dozen.

5. Nov 9, 2011 #5 of 14
    dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    so it's not the fault of the producers who name their shows? Would your UVerse DVR also pick up new seasons of Survivor, etc. which are renamed every season?

6. Nov 9, 2011 #6 of 14
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    You don't suppose that maybe other systems have a "series" field or something that made it be recognized as one of the shows for that series? Or did the producers do something to the title to make it pro-UVerse and anti-TiVo?

7. Nov 9, 2011 #7 of 14
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Very strange, when I went to the channel guide for DISC tonight the description very briefly titled the ep as "Dirty Dozen" but that vanished and was replaced by "Location Location". My SP has it listed to record.

8. Nov 9, 2011 #8 of 14
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    So which is it?

9. Nov 9, 2011 #9 of 14
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, it's not really against their interests, since those who record tend to avoid the commercials, and/or watch it MUCH later so the commercials are even more pointless.
    (Yes, I know some people are nuts and record the shows and STILL watch the commercials.)

IMHO, changing time slots is much worse than doing something like this, showing the "same" show (effectively) with a different series title.

BTW, I bet the other DVRs mentioned are much closer to VCR-like timeslot recorders, and don't actually follow the show around the schedule. (Heck, didn't even Replay only "follow" a show one timeslot ahead and one behind, or something weird like that?) Vaguely like a "manual" recording on a Tivo, which ends up picking up the Tivo Guide Data for whatever show is on that channel at the moment.

10. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Found this too late as I missed both the airing and the repeat airing. Anyone know if it repeats?

11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, some cable DVRs just record all shows where the substring matches. Get a "season pass" for "Mythbusters" and if it has "Mythbusters" in the name, it'll be recorded. Of course, they record *EVERYTHING* that matches. Which for a show like Mythbusters practically means it's recording 24/7.

12. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    My Tivo caught it on the original SP.

--Carlos V.

13. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    My tivo didn't catch. Thanks for the heads up! I was able to set it to record before I got home last night.

14. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I did a manual recording for 11PM. So there is actually something different and not a replay of 9PM?