Mythbusters "Rocket Guy" Erik Gates dies in fall at 47

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aintnosin, Dec 30, 2009.

1. aintnosin

aintnosin [Spoiler]

Jun 25, 2003
    Lake Forest, CA
  2. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Last week's episode was dedicated to him. Major loss to the rocket community.

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    The second sectence in the story says the death toll just keeps rising in 2009. Is that referring to anything in particular? Like have other people on Mythbusters died this year?

4. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I saw the dedication last week, it was nice of the MB people to do it.

Four episodes out of something on the order of 150, and the article calls him a regular?

5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte

Advertisements

A regular guest at least?

There isn't that many, of course that ex FBI explosive expert guy should be considered a regular, he's on there a LOT!

6. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Still, regular or not, it's sad. Apparently he survived cancer just to die in a freak accident.

Both the Mythbusters twitter and Grant have had nice things to say about him. And I actually remembered who he was right off the bat-I want to say he worked on the Ming Dynasty Astronaut? Certainly, I remember him working on the hwatcha.

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think you're right, and I think he also assisted with the first version of the JATO-propelled car. (I don't know that he was involved with the second one, though.)

8. Jan 1, 2010 #8 of 10
    Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    His brother is a poster on another forum I frequent. I had no recollection of him, but he was pretty accomplished. Another brother founded Xircom.

9. Jan 4, 2010 #9 of 10
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Yes, that one I remembered for certain.

I wonder if the cancer that they hinted he'd survived prevented him appearing in episodes that ordinarily might have called for a rocketry expert.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    This is my issue. When I first heard about it, the way it read was it was someone regularly on the show or a main participant. I have seen most episodes of the show but couldn't have picked him out of a lineup.

No disrespect for the man or his death, I just think the media seriously misportrayed who he was. Saying he was something like a expert in rockets and also occasionally appeared on the tv show Mythbusters would have been fair. They made it sound like Jamie or Adam died.