Mythbusters "Plane Boarding; Bite the Bullet" (S9E19, 8/21/14, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

I don't really want to talk too much about the episode itself, except a quick complaint about Adam/Jamie's myth: they didn't test the Southwest boarding method. The *only* thing I can think, and it's a stretch, is that the boarding method is somehow rights-encumbered (copyright, trademark, patent) and they couldn't. Still, I'd be curious to see how it stacks up to the normal boarding method.

That aside, what I really want to talk about was the bombshell they dropped at the end of the show: Kari, Tory, and Grant are gone after this season. I want to know why... has anyone heard? Was it a contract dispute that led to them getting let go, was it a decision by Adam/Jamie, by Beyond, by Kari/Tory/Grant, by Discovery, or what?

We're going into season 10, so obviously we're nearer the end of the show than the beginning, and I wonder if this is just the first sign of that. It's going to be very weird not having them on the show.

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I had just started a thread on this too, hopefully mods will delete mine.

I was shocked at the announcement, and wonder what the reason for the change is?

"It’s not only the end of the episode, and not only the end of the season, it is also the end of an era. This is the very last episode of Mythbusters to feature the incredible trio of Kari Byron, Tory Belleci, and Grant Imahara."

"This next season, we’re going back to our origins which is just Adam and me."

"I want to take a moment to thank you guys for the incredible work over the last ten years. You’ve given literally your blood, sweat and tears in the name of science, and it has been a total pleasure not only to work with you but to call you our friends."

"We wish you the very best of luck, and thank you."

"Bye guys."

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Kari tweets:
    "I guess you guys are finding out the news right about now."
    "After a decade of the Mythbusters, we are no longer with the show. Thank you to all the fans who have supported us."
    "The show is taking a new direction. It was an amazing run. I learned so much about myself and the world. I love you all @MythBusters"
    "I am sad for an ending but there will be exciting new adventures for us."

Grant simply tweets:
    "Thanks @MythBusters for allowing us to teach science in a whole new way. Also, explosions. Now, on to the next adventure!"

Tory has retweeted some stuff related to the episode, but otherwise said nothing about the announcement.

FWIW, apparently this episode broadcast as far back as 2012 in Australia, and has been in the can since then. The announcement was (apparently) more recently filmed and tacked onto the end of the finished episode.

4. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Being Southwest does not use assigned seats the test would not be relevant vs. how most airlines work. Once people are on the plane the seat scramble becomes random, and will not have the same results twice.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

That's a good point. And given that, the one method they did test (the "everyone boards at once" method) only differs in how the people queue up at the gate. Beyond the gate, it would be exactly the same, because having everyone board at once effectively randomizes the seating, the same as the A/B/C boarding methods do.

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm glad to see them go. Adam and Jamie have always done a better job of actually testing myths. The trio is usually more interested in screwing around and having fun than in doing a systematic and well thought out job of myth testing.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I could swear they already did the boarding thing. Maybe I saw it from the Australian airing somehow?

Real nice that the 'B' team didn't even get to say goodbye on camera. :( I think we can rule out the idea that it was their decision.

When I think about the direction the Discovery Channel's been going the last few years, I find Kari's "new direction" tweet ominous. I can just picture the network execs saying "We'd like it better if you didn't debunk things so much." I'd trust Adam & Jamie not to go along with that, though.

8. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    [​IMG]

9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Wow, it'll take forever for Mythbusters to show up here... wonder if I can Hulu it.

As for Kari, Tory and Grant, I suspect they've been second fiddle to Adam and Jaime for far too long. It's time to give them their own show, and for specials, they often do host their own show.

And you can tell Adam and Jaime really do want to do a show "by themselves" since they've experimented with several series ideas which feature just them, to not much success. I suspect after trying, and failing, they wanted Mythbusters to be back to its roots and where instead of trying to do a half-dozen myths, they can flesh out their tests (since a LOT of their tests end up on the cutting room floor and everyone complains about why they didn't test X or Y or Z even though they did).

And really, it's time for Kari, Tory and Grant to really have their own show. Perhaps when they started they were too young to have it, but a decade later, it's time.

10. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I guess the upside of not having cable TV anymore is that I still have 1-2 seasons worth of the full team to look forward to, if it ever hits Netflix.

I'm surprised that "they" (not sure who "they" is) want to take the show back to being just Adam and Jamie. It seems that Adam and Jamie both have lost some interest in the show--it seems like the M7 crew usually got the more mechanically involved myths. I'm sure Jamie wouldn't mind if the show just went away, and Adam has plenty of other things to keep him busy.

If they're really taking things back to their roots, I wonder if Heather Joseph-Witham is going to come back. :)

I'm going to go way out on the conspiracy theory limb here and congratulate Kari for sticking with her team...because I'm certain that Discovery would have loved to make the core team Adam, Jamie, and Kari. wmcbrine's picture has a ton of truth--maybe not 98%, but Kari was the perfect addition to the show. Cute, geeky, smart, and full of on-air personality. The show is definitely going to feel the impact of her departure.

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
  12. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I'll go the opposite route and say the trio leaving is a good sign. I quit watching the show because of them. They were always stuck with a really, really lame myth and the scripting was terrible. They always felt like a waste of time. I'd love to see the show get back to its roots.

13. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    While I like the trio, I also think they were better as a supporting cast, and not as co-protagonists, as they have been lately. I will miss them, but I was missing having more science and details instead of trying to cram everything in, as had been happening.

14. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    My money's on cost-cutting given how long this show's been around and the ever increasing scope of the myths they've tackled over the years. Everyone's salaries would have been going up so now you have two instead of 5 to worry about.

I think "getting back to our roots" is just smoke to cover the cost cutting reason.

15. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Possibly cost saving for an older show that has diminishing ratings or just lack of growth? They started off with mythterns that interacted with hosts, then it morphed into a dual show with almost no interaction between the two sets of hosts. I almost always greatly preferred the Adam/Jamie segments in the dual show format. Maybe they'll go back to having mythterns again? Kari was the most personable of the 3 departing and should have the greatest post Mythbusters success, followed by Tori and for Grant? Maybe they'll bring back Battlebots?

16. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I think this has to have been a very recent decision (less than a month or so?) Kari, Tory, and Grant were even at the Creative Emmy's last weekend representing Mythbusters (Adam and Jamie are in Australia, I believe, doing their Mythbuster's Live tour.)

I think there is more than one factor here, but I am guess money is the primary driver.

17. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I personally am glad they are gone. Their myths (and acting) were both terrible. Lately their myths just revolve around reasons to blow up something. The show has always had terrible science, but at least it was somewhat focused on testing. Lately it's just been focused on blowing stuff up.

I miss the original show, before they ever joined. If it went back to that, all the better.

18. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Money is my guess, too.

The main reason for bringing them in was that Jamie and Adam were getting overworked shooting enough material for the entire episode. Expect to see fewer new episodes, lots of padding, or both.

19. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    And that statement would mean something to the rest of us if we had any idea where "here" is.

20. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003