Mythbusters "Paper Crossbow" 1/11/06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by 5thcrewman, Jan 12, 2006.

1. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I think if I had the time, I could come up with something more deadly, although Adam's neck shot looked fatal enough!

2. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Always a fun show. This one was no exception.

3. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    Jamie's trip to the Undie Store was worth it all by itself!

4. bentleyml

bentleyml Unregistered User

May 21, 2003
    Moore...
    He always seems so straight laced until he gets into places like that and then his freak flag flies. :D

5. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I'm guessing this is now on the list of shows you can't watch from prison.

The Mythterns were just a waste of space this week.

6. Jotas

Jotas Got TV?

Mar 19, 2005
    flaVAtown
    I enjoy this show and have a seaon pass. You get hooked easily!

7. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I recently started watching Beyond Tomorrow, a weekly collection of modestly interesting scientific features (oh, look, a car that can steer more safely; a wrist-band to put on your kids that tracks them via GPS). The last segment they show in each episode is a shortened version of a Mythbusters experiment.

This week's excerpt was the raising of the Mythtanic using ping-pong balls. They showed the whole process, edited down to about ten minutes.

8. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Was anyone else thinking that prisoners would wear tighty whities? I wasn't sure on the boxers. They should have done tests with the other elastic as well, as it might have different properties.

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I was sort of surprised that Adam didn't see if he could get prison issue underwear while he was touring the prison. (Of course it's possible that he did but it didn't make the episode).

After all, authentic prison issue would be a more accurate take on the myth than random cheap underwear.

Oh, and the plumbing pipe gun that we saw during the prison museum tour was pretty impressive.

10. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    Us San Francisco locals were laughing at their choice of shop - All American Boy on Castro street, right smack in the middle of the Castro gay district. It was great watching Jamie walk into the shop straight-faced. I was amazed they had plain old boxer shorts to sell him!

The Mythbusters headquarters is less than a half mile from my house, on the other side of the hill I live on. Sometimes it's really strange watching the show, because I recognize a lot of the places they go to. For instance, in the episode where they tested how to cool beer the quickest, they went to the Connecticut Yankee, a sports pub in my neighborhood that I walk past all the time.

11. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    Yeah, they seem to be in the Castro a couple times per season. Jamie seems more at home than Adam, but then, Jamie seems at home everywhere on the planet.

Anyway, I thought it was a good episode, except for the Vodka Myths--continued. Zzzzzzz.

As for the plumbing parts gun: amazing!

I was really glad to see Adam win a competition for once. ;)

12. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    They wear boxers in the places I am familiar with. Tighty whities are a little more likely to be used, sadly, to kill oneself by strangulation.

Or at least that's what I've been told.

13. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I noticed on the slowmo playback that Adam's crossbow bolts were severely buckling when they impacted the dummy. I bet they lost a lot of their energy and momentum because of that. If he'd stopped and looked at making them more rigid, he probably could have gotten some more force out of them.

Agreed about the Mythterns this week. What a waste of time. I also thought it was a very flawed experiment since tried only (at least on camera) five sprays of the vodka. Whose bum did they pull the number five from? Why not retry with ten?