Mythbusters 8/15 "Viewer Request Show"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nataylor, Aug 16, 2007.

1. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    OK, I *know* for a fact that on some automatics (namely a 1989 Mazda 929), if throw it into reverse while doing, say 45mph), the drive wheels lock up and the car takes a wicked nose dive. Personal experience speaking there. ;) So they were wrong to call that busted.

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    what was the myth exactly?

I took a '89 sable, went in reverse going like 30 mph, dropped it into drive and gunned it, wheels spun for like 10-12 seconds and a lot of smoke came up, car twisted a little then i took off :D

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I never realized how dumb the Mythbusters fans were. Did that many people actually believe your eye would pop out if you sneezed with your eyes opened? The myth is actually keeping your eyes opened while holding in a sneeze so thankfully they had a doctor dispel the myth before their fans got on their case about it. Fairly lame episode. Always enjoy an exploding car though.

4. nataylor

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    That throwing a car into reverse is a good way to stop a runaway car that has no brakes.

The automatic they tested has some kind of safety feature that didn't allow it to be put into reverse or park while the car was moving forward. And of course they couldn't get the manual to engage the reverse gear while the car was moving forward.

5. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I bet that kid who's parent's car was blown up had the time of his life.

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I dropped my '74 Grand Fury III into reverse doing around 35 once.

Didn't stop it, but killed the engine.
    In fact it made it harder to stop since power brakes were lost when the engine stopped running.

Took many cranks to get it started again.

phox

7. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I wonder if that had less to do with fans thinking it would actually happen but rather the desire to see how silly they looked trying it.

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Adam's face was priceless. They should make it into a halloween mask.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I also thought they would "duplicate the results" like they do on so many other myths. They should have created a fake head and see how much pressure it would take to blow out the eyeballs from the head. OK, maybe that would be too disgusting :eek:

10. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Even better, they should have used a pig's head and blown out the eyeballs! :D

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Um... sorry, no, the myth is indeed what they demonstrated. The myth originates from the fact that you naturally and reflexively close your eyes when you sneeze, and the myth is that the reason you do this is because if you were to keep your eyes open, your eyes would pop out of your head. I've heard this since grade school. It has nothing to do with holding a sneeze in.

They even showed that it is almost impossible to sneeze WITHOUT closing your eyes, unless you actually hold your eyelids open as Adam did. Try it sometimes - you almost certainly won't be able to.

I don't think too many people believe it, truthfully... but the simple thought of it inspires a rather gruesome mental picture that is enough to keep the myth going around.

Case in point:
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_304.html
    http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/sneeze.asp
    http://www.mtv.com/onair/big_urban_myth/birth/index.jhtml?choose=Sneezing+To+Blindness

12. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Definitely glad the viewers don't pick all the time. That was weak. Is there really anyone who thinks tennis ball would work? Is there even anyone who needed to be shown how the "trick" was done?

13. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Yeah, this was definately a pretty weak episode. The only thing that I'd consider to be a worthwhile myth was the "Stopping using Reverse" one, but they got lazy. If Scottie were still around, she would have found how to disable that safety feature on the transmission of the Taurus and they would have tried it for real.

And, is it just me, or are the "blueprint" segments getting more and more lame? I used to believe that they filmed those before the myth, but now it's painfully obvious that they're scripted and filmed after the fact.

14. warrenn

warrenn Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    I agree it is filmed afterwards. They are often wearing the same clothing during the pre- and post-myth discussions.

15. nataylor

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    They've always done it like that, and they even showed that in one of the behind-the-scenes specials.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    All I know is that the eye doctor was hott. I'd have her check my eyes out anytime.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The segments with everyone around the table were painfully scripted and acted. Jaime and Adam are usually able to pull off those segments by themselves without it screaming "ACTING!" On the other hand, the build team, particularly Tory, hams them up every time they have to do them. It is truly painful to watch.

18. BuckAv

BuckAv New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Agreed. The build team is terrible during those segments.

19. nataylor

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I lvoe the fact they can't act. It adds to the feeling that they're just real people doing crazy stuff.

20. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    Manual transmission in reverse at 50mph??? Reverse is un-synchronized, you would have to place the transmission in neutral and rev the engine up to about 16,000 RPM to get it into reverse at 50 MPH. Or maybe thats just first gear, too bad they don't have rentals that come with a manual, or I would try it. Not many rentals rev to 16,000 RPMs either.

They really don't talk to anyone before they do these shows.