Mythbusters - 4/6/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BrettStah, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 #1 of 15
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I'm only halfway through the episode, but the line of the night has to be when Kari said, "8 inches is REALLY not that impressive!"

2. Apr 7, 2011 #2 of 15
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The shoot the gun on the ground myth was boring and predictable, and the shoot the merry-go-round was stupidly predictable. (At least if you're going to do a myth that depends on kinetic energy, they should add an educational component and briefly touch on the formulas for calculating kinetic energy.)

The main myth, though, was fun. Obviously the Jamie mask worked better, because you can easily pull off a smaller person disguised as a larger one, but you absolutely cannot easily disguise a larger person as someone smaller. What they should have done is gotten someone roughly the same build as Adam to wear the Adam mask, rather than making Jamie wear it.

I think what might have helped with both masks a little bit is the use of some spirit gum to attach the mask. I'm betting they probably didn't, because that might have made it impossible to reuse the mask. Still, with the Jamie mask, that was the most apparent thing for me, that stuff didn't quite attach to the real skin properly,

It was rather impressive how they managed to make the majority of the mask strictly from photos. One variation I'd be curious to see is to compare these types of masks to a more traditional movie/television silicone appliance makeup job (one created from a life cast), and see if there is any substantial difference in terms of how believable they appear.

3. Apr 7, 2011 #3 of 15
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    You can almost be certain that clip will be used in future intro's.

4. Apr 7, 2011 #4 of 15
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I was actually surprised by the result of shooting the gun across the ground. I figured there'd be movement, but not nearly what they got.

The merry-go-round thing, though, was just stupid.

I thought they really blew it with the masks. The lack of forethought about who would wear the mask (and possibly building the mask up so it fit the wearer while not looking either stretched or limp) bugged me. Adam in the Jamie mask looked malnurished; Jamie in the Adam mask looked like he was about to pop.

But, as you mentioned, the thing that really blew it for me was that they didn't use any spirit gum to really "attach" the lips and eyes. I think that, had they really attached the mask properly--even with how the masks didn't fit perfectly--people would have been more readily fooled.

5. Apr 7, 2011 #5 of 15
    jeetkunedo

jeetkunedo Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Funny, I was just checking out the CFX web site right before I watched this Mythbusters. I occasionally buy from these guys as their masks and gloves are really very well done, but they're not cheap. Each mask is at least $500. If you're interested, here's their web site: http://www.compositeeffects.com/

6. Apr 7, 2011 #6 of 15
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    If they knew who was going to wear the mask, I think they should have built the mask around a mold of that person, instead of a generic head. That might have improved the quality of the mask a little.

Surely the MI guy made the mask to fit only his face.

7. Apr 7, 2011 #7 of 15
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Agreed, the eyes and lips looks very unnatural because they didn't move right, and for the eyes didn't blend into the natural eyesocket, so there was an obvious gap between the mask and the eyes.

8. Apr 7, 2011 #8 of 15
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree it would have been nice if they discussed the rotational kinetic energy of the merry-go-round. It would have been fun to build a device to measure the rotational kinetic energy, using say, a bungee or maybe a bowling ball rolled on to the merry-go-round from various heights with a stopper / catcher on the merry-go-round.

Anyway, rotational kinetic energy is 0.5 I w^2, and the merry-go-round can be approximated by a solid disc, with moment of inertia 0.5 m r^2. So the kinetic energy of the merry-go-round is 0.25 m r^2 w^2. I think they said it weighed 500 pounds (15.6 slugs). The radius looked like maybe 5 feet. If it takes 4 seconds to complete a revolution when it is spinning slowly, then w = 2 Pi / 4 = 1.57. So the kinetic energy would be 0.25 * 15.6 * 5^2 * 1.57^2 = 240 ft-lb.

That is actually not much compared to the muzzle energies they were quoting (eg, 9000 ft-lb). A 1 oz deer slug traveling at 1500 feet per sec would have a kinetic energy of over 2000 ft-lb.

Obviously, a lot of energy was being lost to friction, even on the reduced friction merry-go-round, since it took a lot of shots to keep that thing spinning. Too bad they did not try a ball-bearing.

I also wonder how much of the slug energy was being lost in deformation of the slug on impact with the steel plates. They could have tried replacing the steel plates with a foot of ballistic gel to see if that made much difference.

9. Apr 8, 2011 #9 of 15
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I never get tired of the Mythbusters. That was a lot of fun. Did they say how much one of those Masks costs?

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    How about when she was lubing up the merry-go-round? :D

I'm sorry though, the editors (and Jaime) lost some geek cred in this episode for me. When they introduced the acting coach, Jaime's voice-over said how he was the voice of the "sand trooper" in Star Wars that said "these aren't the droids we're looking for."

Sand Trooper? :eek:

11. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    Yes Sandtrooper. That is a correct term for Stormtroopers based on Tatooine, or other desert climates I suppose.

edit: http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/sandtroopers/index.html

12. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ok, wow. Guess I need to turn in my geek card instead. :eek:

13. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    Using spirit gum to hold the mask to their faces would have required they both do a bit of shaving. I'd guess there are limits to how far they'll go to prove the myth. :)

14. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah... I get the idea that Jaime resists change... :p

A lot of genius types do that though... Wear the same thing every day etc. Must be a common trait among the brilliant. I wear pretty much the same thing every day too. :D :rolleyes:

15. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I was honestly falling asleep until "lubrication."