Mythbusters 04/21/2011 Bombproof/walk on water

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Apr 22, 2011.

1. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Here is a pretty good rule for Viral videos. If you can see a company's logo in the video, then it is probably fake.

I knew as soon as I saw the Hi-tec logo that this was a waste of time. And really Jamie....nothing more scientific or creative as an upside snow shovel? blech....what a waste of time!

2. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah. Every once in awhile they get a little lazy. Not their best work, but still better than most of the other stuff on TV. :p

3. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    The inverted snow shovel was better than the tail that adam had created for his invention. A TAIL, really?

4. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I loved how he almost drowned that girl.:p

5. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Why is that so crazy? He clearly said that the lizard used his tail. So there was a method behind his madness.

I liked the bombproof myth. I was surprised at how much protection the door gave. I also would've liked to see how much protection the dumpster gave from outside.

6. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    The theory was good, the implementation not so much. :p

7. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    But they chose the distance poorly -- just a foot or so closer in from where they determined that the disk did not break, so they were basically testing whether those things could do better than a couple feet of air. It would have made more sense to put the shields in the middle of the death or injury zones.

8. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    On the one hand, the basic idea irritated me to no end. That video's made the rounds, and is well known to be rigged. If you look carefully, you can plainly see the plexiglass they put just under the water bounce as they run across it. I have to assume they knew that, chose to pretend they didn't, and charged ahead anyways.

On the other hand, if you buy the premise that they didn't know (wink wink), it was kinda fun watching them try to run across water for half an hour ;).

And I've got the same complaint as john about how they chose the distance for the explosions. They needed to put obstructions at more varied distances. On the other hand, the shockwaves were cool to watch on the highspeed...

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, I was kind of annoyed at this episode. The water-running "myth" was a total waste of time, because the result was so obvious they didn't need to even bother testing it.

10. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Agreed, but it was still fun.

11. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    My thoughts exactly. Although I had never heard of the Jesus lizard before, so at least I learned one thing -- water walking lizards, cool!

12. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    The Mythbusters did not mention that rather than jumping behind the shields, the hypothetical person could have just jumped back two feet away from the bomb (without any shield) and gotten the same result!

13. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Didn't they do something about walking on water already? I remember Adam in a pool with big floating "water shoes" on and falling head first in.

I agree the myth wasn't very interesting, but I still like these guys a lot. They're very entertaining and the show was still fun to watch.

14. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Wasn't that the Ninja Myths episode?

15. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Quick nitpick. Those were not snow shovels.

16. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    That's their primary use around these parts.

Secondary use would be picking up parade or circus droppings.

phox

17. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I've shoveled a lot of grain with those types of shovels in the past. I had heard them referred to as "scoop" shovels.

18. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Yeah. They ended up putting some sort of mix in the water until they could walk on it.

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I live in Phoenix...what do I know about snow! lol

20. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Yeah those are grain, or scoop, shovels. While they can be use for any number of things, the only other thing their design really allows them to do well is poop duty as was mentioned. They really suck as snow shovels because they don't push the snow and you end up having to carry every shovelful.