Mysterious sound issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by WendyW, Jan 11, 2020.

1. WendyW

WendyW New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I purchased a new TV and new sound bar. I kept the same TiVo, it did update it to the latest software.

TV = Vizio
    Sound bar = Vizio
    TiVo = Roamio OTA on the latest software, the version that requires the remote to have a back button

Problem that is happening, the sound turns on in the middle of the night. Usually around 3 am. I swear I have checked all my CEC settings. I even went so far as to have the sound bar replaced. Except, it was still happening. So, last night, for the first time, I unplugged my TiVo. Today, for the first time in over a month, the sound bar was not on when I got up.

What setting on my TiVo is causing the sound, but not the TV to come on during the night? Any help is appreciated!

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    is the roamio rebooting?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    More important question: what is turning on your TV? The Roamio never turns off unless it has been put into Standby or Power Saving has been enabled. Several keys on the remote will wake up the Roamio, as will a restart. Perhaps your TV is checking for updates? TiVo makes connections to its servers on a scheduled basis that is not based on a 24 hour cycle. But the sound & video never turn off unless told to by an external event.

BTW, my TE3 remote has a back button. It doesn't have an indent, but does the same function. You have what's called TE4.

4. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Try putting the Tivo in Standby mode when your done watching tv for the day...

My Tivo Mini would do the same thing with a Soundbar I had attached to it.

Stand by mode eliminated the problem most of the time but every once in awhile something will still activate the Mini (In the middle of the night!) and switch on the soundbar, EAS signal maybe... I eventual started making sure the soundbar volume was turned down..

Paul Shivers

5. WendyW

WendyW New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    honestly, no idea since it is happening in the 3 am hour. I only know it is happening at that hour because twice the volume was on at max. Any way for me to find out?

6. WendyW

WendyW New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Let me clarify, the TV never turns on, only the sound bar.

7. WendyW

WendyW New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    I have wondered if Standby would help. But, I have never used it because I understood that my shows would not record. We have also made sure the sound is turned all the way down.

8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, go into account and system info, find tivo box diagnostics, and page down about 7 times until you reach the cable card section, and check the number of seconds displayed under "time since oob tune start" - this will give you the uptime in seconds, which can be converted.

tivo records normally in standby mode, and that's your next best step, but beware, it can potentially have it's own challenges waking up. while standby issues are rare, don't be alarmed if things don't go exactly as expected, or there are new symptoms.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Anything about the sound bar that would cause it to activate at 3am? It's so odd that it happens at the same time.

10. WendyW

WendyW New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Well, at this point, I think I can live with what is happening. Now that the TiVo is in standby, there is no sound coming out of the sound bar at 3am. Or, if their is, I don't hear it. By the time I wake up in the morning, no sound. The sound bar is still coming on. But, without any sound coming out, I am not being woken up in the 3 am hour. Oh, one more thing. This sound bar has a HDMI IN and HDMI ARC. The TiVo was going to HDMI IN, now the TiVo goes direct to the TV. That also does not prevent the sound bar from coming on. Still comes on everyday. This issue does not seem like a common issue. So, I am really thinking it is something in my setup. We already had the sound bar exchanged and both units do the same thing. I mean, what are the chances??? It has to be my setup. But, at least, I can live with what is happening now.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Vizio sets will update software without the set being on, FWIW, as long as the set has established an internet connection.

Connecting the TV to the bar via optical cable, instead of HDMI, will break the CEC interconnection between the TV and the bar. As the TiVo remote can be programmed to control the soundbar, you won’t lose any functionality, and the bar should stay “off” overnight. The only bitstream audio format from the TiVo is Dolby Digital, which your TV will likely pass through to the soundbar via the optical audio connection, so there should be no issue with the sound quality.

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    For the record (and I don't know if this helps at all), but I just installed my Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1 Soundbar... And I ran into some issues that I resolved (at least I think it's resolved) by moving my the audio input from HDMI ARC to the Optical Input.

Most of my issues were lip-sync issues though... So it might have zero relevancy to what you are experiencing. I have to admit that I do miss the integrated experience of the CEC interconnection. But the lip-sync issue was a non-starter for me.

I really hope this resolves my problem... And good luck with yours!