Mysterious HDtivo things...worry or not?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Dec 29, 2005.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    each of these normal or something to worry about?

1. If i set a wishlist for a movie to auto record, it records from stations like 389, which I dont receive...then history says no input for sat 1 but records blank space for hours.

2. If I have, for instance, 10 eps of a marathon in a row, and the NP list is set in chronological order, and am watching from oldest to newest, then I delete the current one when it's over, the cursor is then moved up 2 eps to the '2nd next' ep, not the next...IE episode 3 is on the cursor after i watch ep 1, not episode 2 like it should be

3. severe delay in commands but not a persistent problem..random....for example...when you FF on the remote to 2x, it takes a few seconds to implement the command...if you try to play with the button, nothing happens then it 'takes off!'

4. on a satellite local abc channel, there is discoloring going 'in and out'...sorry for the scientific term....i'm assuming it's compression....but then sometimes it goes totally out to black for a second or so....i'm used to crappy colors but not the total drop out of picture...sound is fine thru the incident

2. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    1. Totally normal if you don't set up your "Channels I receive list"*(1) correctly.

2. I don't think I've ever seen that.

3. Sometimes when its thinking hard about something, like starting 2 HD recordings it does get a bit laggy. If its persistant, a reboot*(2) may help

4. I've had crappy locals at times, it never hurts to complain to D* about it. Mine are better now. Things I care about I watch OTA.

*(1) DirecTV Button: Messages and Setup: Channels: Channels I Receive (I think)
    *(2) A reboot can help a multitude of problems, but sometimes only temporarily.

3. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    If this happens only on that channel, then it's as was previously posted-- bad feed from the local to DTV. For a few years , my local via DTV looked awful. Ghosting, dropouts, etc. I got better OTA reception! (which wasn't saying much). DTV finally got a decent feed and all is well. I'm guessing that this is low on the DTV priority list just now, since they're rolling out the new MPEG4 locals. Of course, they might just use the same bad feed for that, too.

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    1. If you "record" a channel not available, it does not eat space on the HDD. PVR's essentially "pause" when a signal is unavailable. It may appear to have taken space, but it really hasn't. Remove 389 from your "received" list.

4. Some stations do not decode/re-encode the HD signal as received by them at the station. Instead, they do a hard switch going in and out of local programming. This will be problematic for DT channels, as you can't hard switch such signals without breakup. If they decode first, or use an MPEG splicer in place of a hard switch, they can avoid this problem, but DT is still the red-headed stepchild at this point for many broadcasters, making this a back-burner issue for them.

5. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Other things I forgot to mention

5. sometimes when coming out of a To do list or other menu, the tivo is at the beginning of the 30 minute buffer.

6. i'm doing frequent OTA signal tests. When I am done and press live tv, i just get a grey screen most of the time. Sometimes flipping channels gets it back and sometimes not. Is this an hdmi thing? Restarting the TV doesn't help. Just flipping channels and time cure it. Doesn't matter if i'm on satellite or OTA channels either. Also, when i go to the Todo list the background will be grey also. Then after a bit, the color all comes back.

6. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    5. You paused it.

6. Yea, it does that. I do channel up, swap tuners, channel down, wait 10 sec. That usually gets it back to normal.

7. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

nyet...that's the puzzling thing. Maybe it acts like it's paused, but i didn't do it.

8. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN

Mine does the same thing sometimes, not sure what the cause is.