MyDVD Crashing when attempting to edit files

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by wwpeteww, May 8, 2005.

1. May 8, 2005 #1 of 29
    wwpeteww

wwpeteww New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    :confused:

Howdy all,

Heres an interesting one. Let me provide step by step exactly what I am doing.

Software - Sonic myDVD version 6.1
    Machine - Laptop - PentiumM 1.6 GhZ - 2Gb Ram installed - Win XP Pro sp2

1. Launch Sonic MyDVD Studio
    2. Click on "Create Project"
    3. Click on "DVD"
    4. Click "Add Files" on left
    5. Select Tivo Recording to Add
    6. Double Click on the imported file from within the DVD Title Screen (in order to edit it)

Thats where I get the error. (The usual on that says the following)

Sonic MyDVD has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I click on the link to see what data this error report contains and get the following.

Error Signature
    AppName: mydvd.exe
    AppVer: 6.1.0.0
    ModName: standardfx_plugin.dll
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0
    Offset: 00010280

Then it closes out....

Heres what I have done to attempt to remedy the situation.

Clean Reinstall - Including registry cleaning, removal of all Sonic Folders, (including hidden)

Even after the clean reinstall, the same exact problem happens.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Pete

2. May 8, 2005 #2 of 29
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Presumably, this happens on all .tivo files, but not on other files, like standard .mpg files. Also, I presume that WMP10 does play the .tivo file just fine.

Here's just a wild shot in the dark, but you can undo it.
    1. Search for the location of standardfx_plugin.dll and you will know the full filename
    2. An example full filename is:
      C:\Program Files\Brain damaged APP\standardfx_plugin.dll
    3. At the Start menu.Run dialog, type:

regsvr32 /u "filename"

Where quotes are around the full filename found above.
    4. Try MyDVD on the .tivo. If it still does not work, you may undo the command by typing
      regsvr32 "filename"
    5. Attempt solutions for Codec problems with MyDVD. There are several good notes describing strategies for fixing them, but all have varying success. DaveZatz has a nice page that explains some of the codec issues and has links to a few sites with good codecs.

3. May 8, 2005 #3 of 29
    jmilender

jmilender New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    I had exactly the same problem. There is little documentation available. Go to sonic and search for how to do a complete uninstall including a registry cleaning. If you haven't done it yet, make sure you delete Cineplayer and all the registry files and directories.

Do a reinstall and open Cineplayer. Go through the registration process online. Make sure something (anything) will play in Cineplayer.

Then go back to MyDVD and try to edit or burn. This should take care of it.

It seems that the key thing is to get the codecs that Cineplayer uses in order adn running before trying to do anything in MyDVD

4. May 8, 2005 #4 of 29
    wwpeteww

wwpeteww New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    jmilender

Good Idea. I did do the complete uninstall - clean reinstall, but left out Cineplayer as an installation. (Trying to save space although I have 60gb free)

I'll give it a shot and let you know!

5. May 8, 2005 #5 of 29
    wwpeteww

wwpeteww New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    OK, I did all the above mentioned things to no avail... HOWEVER!!! I do notice something that ISN'T happening that should... I am no longer prompted for my playback password at any time, whether it be In Windows Media Player or in Sonic DVD... Is it possible that none of my applications are "tied" into the tivo files anymore? (if that makes any sense...) FYI... Windows Media Player will still play the tivo files, it just doesn't ask for the playback password...

6. May 8, 2005 #6 of 29
    Waldo50676

Waldo50676 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    North East Iowa
    If you have Tivo Desktop 2.1 it doesn't require a password.

7. May 8, 2005 #7 of 29
    wwpeteww

wwpeteww New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Waldo50676

Ah, that answers that then.. I upgraded to 2.1 after MyDVD flipped out.
    Oh well... Back to the drawing board

8. edaltman

edaltman New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    i am having the same problem and sonic tech support doesnt seem to be of much help. has anyone successfully "fixed" the problem wwpeteww reported?
    many thanks
    ed

9. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    San Jose, CA

I fixed my problems with Sonic MyDVD by SIMPLY NEVER USING IT AGAIN! I wasted many hours of life not to mention quite a few DVD-Rs mucking about with Sonic and its sister editing application Showbiz. I got Sonic with one of my burners and Nero with the other.. What I found after testing them both side by side for about a month is that Nero is just plain superior at about every turn. Not that Nero is without its own set of issues.. However I've burned something on the order of 30-40 DVDs in a row with no failures since I settled on Nero as my one and only tool. It's gotten to the point where it's so reliable I don't even stop to test each burn in my DVD player downstairs anymore. I simply burn a half dozen or so in a row and my test is truly when I get ready to watch the show again. Nero also allows me to edit the commercials out of my shows in under 2 minutes.. now that I've got the hang of the process. Even if Sonic does manage to improve their stuff over my experience.. I'm a Nero user for life.. It's cheap.. it works.. and I'm now really good at using it..

Such a deal!!

Ronnie T.

10. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Sonic MyDVD is a poorly written program that barely works with TiVo files. I get a similar crash if I try to edit the movie image in a DVD's menu if I've editted the TiVo file. My advice is to convert any file you want to burn to a regular mpg2 file before even attempting to use MyDVD.

Oh and MyDVD's PXHELP20.sys driver locks up when I try to burn DVD-R's which basically causes Windows XP to act very strangely (for example I can't shut down or open any new programs). Other programs such as an old copy of Easy Creator 5.1 and DVD Decryptor have no problems burning DVD-R discs meaning it is a problem with Sonic MyDVD's driver. Sonic MyDVD will burn DVD+RW discs though.

Don't bother with support from Sonic as they don't seem to give any. They responded to my report of Sonic MyDVD crashing by closing my ticket without responding. They responded to my report with problems burning DVD-R discs by recommending I "upgrade" the PXHELP engine that comes with MyDVD 6.1 which might be helpful if such an upgrade existed. :rolleyes:

11. cfeltenberger

cfeltenberger New Member

May 14, 2005
    I too am having the EXACT same issues. MyDVD used to work perfectly and I burned 30+ DVD TIVO movies. Now it doesn't work and no one seems to know how to fix. I'm working with Sonic tech support, but they really have no idea. Does Nero allow you to burn .tivo movies?

12. RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    Had exactly the same problem.

With MyDVD 6.1 + TivoDesktop 2.0 setup it worked perfectly (yes, really !) as I've successfully archived (for my own personal non-commercial use :)) 30+ DVDs from TV shows and also several home movie DVDs from my digital camera.

Upgraded to TivoDesktop 2-1 last night and every attempt to edit .tivo files in MyDVD both as an Admin user and a regular "Power" user (Running Win XP Pro SP2) caused Sonic to crash.

Oddly even after the first install of TD 2-1 I was getting prompted for the password whenever I opened a project with .tivo files, as well as when I played them in WMP 10. I uninstalled TD 2-1 and MyDVD, cleaned every "tivo" reference from the registry, reinstalled TD 2-1 and MyDVD and the password request went away but the Edit Movie crash didn't.

Uninstalled TD 2-1, removed the "Tivo Shared" folder from C:\Program Files\Common, installed TD 2-0 from my backup copy and voila, I can edit .tivo files again in MyDVD.

My guess is that theres an incompatibility between MyDVD and the 2-1 DirectShow DLL but I don't hold a lot of hope for an update. I've got Sonic Tech Support to acknowledge a couple of MyDVD bugs but the invariable repsonse is that they will be fixed in a future release, which I read as "pay us $$$ for a new version if this annoys you and you want it fixed" :(

--
    Roj

13. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Just out of curiousity, what bugs have they acknowledged?

Also if they don't bump up the version number from 6.1 to 7.0, the upgrade should be free.

14. edaltman

edaltman New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    could our problems be in any way related to the fact that we seem all to be xp pro sp2 users?

15. RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    Well a couple that probably aren't really Sonic's that I saw were

1) Unable to access files over a network share. Sonic just refuses but this might be a "Broken as designed" as oppsoed to a design flaw. PITA mind you as I had centralised all my media files on a cheapo linux box ...

2) Preview video in Edit Movie mode offset from the actual Window so I had to change the Window from full screen and reposition it to see what was going on. I fixed this by upgrading my ancient Diamond Stealth 3D (Savage 4) based card with a more recent Direct X 9.0 part (9600 Pro based)

3) The bona-fide bug is this. If you create a multi-line title for a project screen say

Perry Mason
    Season 2
    Episodes 41 - 43

By adding "CTRL-J" characters to force a line break, i.e. the above would be input as "Perry Mason[CTRL-J]Season 2[CTRL-J]Episodes 41 - 43" you are completely unable to save the project. The Save As doesn't work and neither does Save. Lost a few hours work by setting up the title, adding the files, editting the commercials and then having to start over.

Theres a simple workarond though. If you create the project, add a simple title, save immediately and then go back and edit the title you can continue to save without any problems. In fact if you get stuck with this bug you can go back and edit the title down to a single line, save properly, and then put the title back the way you want it.

Sorry for burbling on so long !

16. RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    One other tidbit.

If you rename the StandardFX_Plugin.dll in "C:\Program Files\Sonic\MyDVD Studio\MyDVD Studio\SFXPlugins" that gets referenced in the Microsoft crash message and the Win XP Application Event log two things happen

1) MyDVD tries to reinstall itself (guess it checks all its DLL for consistency)

2) If you hit Cancel enough times and actually get MyDVD to startup you *can* edit .tivo files without crashing again, just like we can with Tivo Desktop 2.0.

I presume that something gets disabled with StandardFX_Plugin.dll gone but I didn't try anything fancy once I got the Edit Movie screen up so I've no idea whats now missing.

Renaming the backup StandardFX_Plugin.dll back to the real name fixes the MyDVD "Infinite reinstall loop" but the Edit Movie crash is back.

Sonic Tech Support is trying to help out, very attentively I must point out, but the focus seems to be on my installed Codec's and other applications, such as PowerDVD, RealPlayer, etc and the issue might be more to do with a core component, like StandardFX_Plugin.dll for example or the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll.

17. zartog

zartog New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Was this ever resolved, I just upgraded to Tivo Desktop 2.2 and am hitting this error myself....

Thanks!

18. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Nope. You'll need to use TiVo Desktop 2.0 with My DVD. That said the only piece from TiVo Desktop 2.0 that you really need is the DirectShow Filter. I posted this work around a while back that, while convoluted, works.

Sonic told me they were working on a patch which was supposed to come out in November, but never did. It's much easier to free the mpeg2 video from the tivo file. Don't ask how since discussion about how to do that is banned from this board, but it's very easy to find out how via Google.

19. RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    Oddly enough when I upgraded to Tivo Desktop 2.2 from 2.1 the crash went away for me.

The only thing I think I did differently than when I went from 2.0 to 2.1 was to be a bit anal about reboots and clearing out old Tivo files, i.e.

1) Uninstall TD 2.1
    2) reboot
    3) Remove the following folders

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared

4) Install TD 2.2

No idea if this was the magic ingredient or whether 2.2 just plays better with my particular installed set of codecs than 2.1 and I got lucky. No change made to MyDVD at all.

The call I had open with Sonic Tech Support got closed without any sort of patch resolution though. Mainly due to inacivity, I guess, as they and myself ran out of things to try to fix the problem.

20. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I had Sonic MyDVD crashing while trying to edit files as well. I uninstalled it completely, restarted the PC, and the reinstalled MyDVD and it's worked fine ever since.