My Wifes Gonna Kill Me

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DesignSlave, Jan 17, 2007.

1. DesignSlave

DesignSlave New Member

Jan 17, 2007

Advertisements

Sony TIVO SAT-T 60

Trouble free for 4+ years. Started making a really nasty noise! Because I work on computers (macs) I could hear it was the bearing in the fan. It's hard to work on something that ppl in the home uses everyday, but I bought a replacement fan from weaknees. Put it all back together (today) and it got stuck on powering up.

I read some forums and posts which all point to HD failure. Which I know can be the case... although... it was working fine when I cracked the box. So either im REALLY unlucky or it's something else.

I opened the box again and moved the HD to another power plug and ribbon (has 2 bays). Still no result. I then ran the systen with the lid off and I noticed a green light (activity light?) blinking under the drive once every 3 to 4 seconds. The fan runs quiet and cool. The only light on the front cover is the power light.

My question is 2 part, do you experts out there agree with the other posts that point to the HD?

Seeing I'm on a mac and can't 'bake a HD' for Tivo. Should I order one from weaknees or is where another source you'd recomend?

Thanks in advance,
    G

P.S. My wifes a tennis fan so she's missing the Australian Open as we speak. Couch is lumpy...
    Help!

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Definitely sounds like a good possibility that it is the HDD.

You can always purchase one from WeaKnees, which is the easiest and quickest way for one without a PC, but it is far cheaper to find and old PC if you have access to one for a quick upgrade.

3. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Stuck exactly where on powering up?

I had a drive go stupid once when the tivo was moved to another room. Evidently the boot sector or something got corrupted. MakeTivoBootable fixed it.

4. gfxguy

gfxguy New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    At four years old, he's better off replacing it.

To answer his question, though, you may have been hearing the hard drive crunching and not the fan. It may have been messing up the sectors it needs to boot, as dagap said. That being the case, it would run fine until the next time you rebooted.

5. DesignSlave

DesignSlave New Member

Jan 17, 2007

Advertisements

The words "powering up"

Yes I had that sinking feeling it may have been the drive. I was able to quiet the noise for a month by puting a pencil under one side of the unit (opposite to the fan), thus moving the unit off the horizontal plane.

I think I'll bite the bullet and make the order today is no one else has any other advice.

Thanks guys

6. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Make sure all the cables are properly seated especially the white ribbon cable to the front panel. You could remove the cable connectors and reseat. Never run it with the white cable disconnected.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    :rolleyes:
    Remind me to not ask you to work on any computer I own.