My VCR Can Automatically Advance Thru Commercials...Why not Tivo Too?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ottomatic, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ottomatic

ottomatic New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    My Panasonic VCR can mark commercials after recording so that during playback, commercials will be automatically forwarded thru.

I just got a Tivo and was suprised that a similar feature is not available. I got spoiled not having to use the remote when watching my recorded shows. Any way to get the Tivo to do this?

2. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Not that I know of. Personally, I just use FF or the 30 sec skip.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Your VCR uses a patented technology which is not licensed to TiVo. (It is licensed to Replay, a TiVo competitor, but they've been forced to reduce its functionality due to lawsuits.)

4. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    And if TiVo somehow licensed the technology from Replay, they would get creamed by the networks and other content providers who are already leery of losing revenue due to ad-skipping. Never mind that we've been able to skip commercials ever since the advent of the VCR, some 30 years ago.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    FF and 30s skip are your friends. :)

How well does the skip work with the Panasonic?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not to mention that TiVo actually needs you to use FF rather then skip, since they sell little tagged advertisements to advertisers that are only displayed when FFing.

Dan