My unit is no longer freezing/rebooting

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jediphish, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006

Advertisements

My main HR10 (unhacked, stock HD) has been running v6.3b for a few weeks now. Under 6.3a, I experienced the audio drops on OTA Fox, ABC, and NBC stations, and then later began experienceing reboots. When 6.3b downloaded, the audio drop issue went away, but the reboots and freezes seemed to get worse. Now, all of a sudden, I've gone a couple of days now without a single reboot (haven't had to reset the 30 sec skip).

The variables that I can think of are these:
    1) I've watched several shows from Now Playing and then deleted them, thereby reducing the amount of the harddrive that is "full."
    2) The guide has been updating - I mention this only because others have speculated corrupt guide data was causing the problems.

Given that the freeze/reboot issues occurred with 6.3a and continued with 6.3b and now seems to be gone, I am now wondering if the problem was, in fact, related to guide data, and not the software version.

Have any of you that were experiencing freezes and reboots noticed that the machine now seems to be operating as expected, without reboots?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I hope you're right. Mine froze up three times 2 days ago, but was well-behaved yesterday and so far today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever the root cause has been fixed.

3. dbuchthal

dbuchthal New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    My HDTiVo has been running for 2 days now without a crash or hang, and it was dying a couple times per day prior to that. Unfortunately, I've now been hit with the SP and WL problem where shows are failing to record properly. I've also ordered InstantCake to roll my system back to 3.1.5f since I'm not going to screw around with this any longer.

4. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Yeah, it didn't last for me either. Last night one of my tuners that was supposed to be recording something had a gray screen. When I went to Now Playing and there was the title with the red light, but when I selected it it showed 0:00 partial recording. Forcing a channel change on that tuner (which required me to start a recording on the other tuner) fixed the problem. I still haven't had a spontaneous reboot though in 3-4 days now, so that's good.

Sadly, I have an HR20 coming next Wednesday. I'll still be using the HR10 for backup, but DirecTV has finally won this battle and is forcing me to their crappy DVR by making my DVR just as crappy. I figure its like fighting city hall and I may as well be ready for MPEG4 when they start rolling nationally.

5. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    JCP -...

Advertisements

Yeah, something was up last night I think. I noticed no Call back to the DVR mothership had occured for a few days so was going to force a call--Said "Unable to complete as unit is receiving/processing data" or somthing to that effect. Quite odd, but again, this was only last night, not the past couple of days.

I never really saw the reboot issue, but I know my partials and such issue went away when I cleaned up the NPL so it wasn't so full. So, so far so good, I'm just waiting for next week now for new programming to start recording and see if the issues are taken care of.

6. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    Our 6.3a unit was rebooting or freezing several times per day. I read a post here that suggested that a full hard drive might be a cause of this problem. We deleted about 30% of the recordings and have not had a reboot since. Perhaps that helped, or perhaps the timing was coincidental with whatever change other folks have noticed and reported here. Regardless, at least we have a watchable HR10-250 again.

Fortunately my other HR10-250 is still on 3.1 with the phone line unplugged. It is as slow and reliable as ever.