My TV To Go

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by AnotherWin95, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jan 2, 2006 #1 of 12
    AnotherWin95

AnotherWin95 Registered TiVo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Jacksonville...

Advertisements

http://www.mytvtogo.com/site/index.html

Convert and Copy TiVo and Windows Media Center TV shows to your portable device. Get the functionality TiVo and Media Center don't offer with MyTV ToGo!

No subscription fees! Watch TV on your iPod, Sony Playstation Portable, Pocket PC, or Smartphone.

Don’t buy another device! MyTV ToGo works with what you already have.

Plug and Play! Copy directly to your device using your remote control.

The only complete solution! Not just another video conversion application, it's a must for anyone serious about quality mobile TV.

If you own a TiVo Series2 or Media Center system, you need MyTV ToGo! Easily convert and copy TV shows directly to your device.
    Have a long commute to work? Need to keep children entertained while traveling? Want to show off your device to your friends? Now you can with MyTV ToGo.

Exciting New Features in MyTV ToGo v3.0:
    Watch TiVoToGo shows on PSP, video iPod, Pocket PC or Smartphone

ReadySync technology converts newly recorded shows automatically

Quickly load your device with new shows using the Ready ToGo feature

2. Jan 2, 2006 #2 of 12
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I saw that press release this morning... have you tried it out?

Personally, I'm going to save my 20-30 bucks for the updated TiVo Desktop (supporting both PSP and iPod) coming out in the near future. Until then, DSD + Videora, TVHarmony, etc are fine (and free) choices.

3. Jan 2, 2006 #3 of 12
    AnotherWin95

AnotherWin95 Registered TiVo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Jacksonville...
    I have not tried it and agree with you - I will wait as well.

4. Jan 2, 2006 #4 of 12
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Just so other Mac folks don't go looking, this is another monopoly OS only app. Sort of funny since the site says:

"Don’t buy another device!"

Except a Windows computer I guess. ;)

5. Jan 2, 2006 #5 of 12
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

Until TiVo provides a decrypting module of some sort for the Mac, it's highly unlikely you'll see any conversion/syncing software that supports that OS. TiVoPony is saying Mac support is targeted for mid-2006. If/when that shows up, I'm sure the entrepreneurs will follow with a variety of apps.

6. Jan 2, 2006 #6 of 12
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Atleast the software looks decent. Of course they are stealing the MCE look and feel. I wish TiVo would update the TiVo Desktop UI to atleast look as though it were written in this century. I'll probably use to the TiVo Desktop method of conversion assuming it works pretty good. I am hesitant to pay for another product that may be broken with TiVo software upgrade.

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 12
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Bummer.

It's also not compatible with an Apple ][e or Commodore64.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 12
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Ha, ha. Of course neither are available any longer, but I guess since it's Mac bashing it's OK. :rolleyes:

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 12
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    This thread has nothing to do with a Mac. The developers of MyTvToGo obviously planned on it being Windows only. There's not much market for MCE syncing on a Mac. Duh. How about someone who's used the program actually talk about the program so we don't have to have a 20 page thread about whether or not TiVo should support the mac.

10. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    It has nothing to do with Mac "bashing". From your initial post and your reply, it seems as if you are a bit sensitive to your choice in computers.

The simple fact of the matter is market share. Mac computers make up only a few percent of the market, therefore much, much less software is going to be available.

It's really that straight forward. TiVo doesn't hate you for using a Mac, it simply doesn't have the resources at the moment to write a brand new piece of software for a tiny, tiny portion of the userbase. It seems they may in the future.

Until then, you have a choice : understand that choices have consequences (your choice to use a Mac), or make snippy comments about the whole world must be against you because you chose an alternate OS that has a miniscule fraction of the computer using public.

AC

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    vs jumping in to point out the obvious and get a jab in on windows :confused:

as to the topic of this software for TiVoToGo.

I have found that using freeware something like DirectShowDump and then PocketDivX encoder to put shows in *.AVI format gives me great results and a 10x compression ratio for about 15 minutes at the PC to do 8 hours worth of shows.

the software looks nice but is not worth the 30$ to a geek like me.

12. xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    i like tvharmony's software, it'll do a whole batch of stuff for you.

i have it download my tivo show, convert to mpeg etc, then delete the tivo file.